2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

After extensive research....I finally found the right OEM part to power the tailgate lock to my XL. This is a follow up to my previous thread. https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/tailgate-auto-lock-installed-for-xl.9343/ I was able to take pictures of the control from my friend's XLT. Reading the QR code...I found the part number to be jb3b431f94ad. However...a google search for that part number only yielded resellers from Europe. Exhausted from not finding more info on jb3b431f94ad...I took a shot in the dark and see if the maverick share the same control as the new Ranger. I went to a Ranger forum and found a thread where the user showed the inside of the tailgate. To my joy, the control looked exactly as the one in the Maverick...down to the same part number jb3b431f94ad. So I search the part catalog for '19 Ranger and found the control part number. The part number is JB3Z-9943170-A. A google search of that part number didn't yield any pictures for me to compare. Taking a chance...I ordered the part from Fairway Ford Parts for $80 shipped. The part came in today and boom! same as the Maverick. I quickly installed it and it works perfectly.

Part you need:
JB3Z-9943170-A

IMG_3959.jpg

the control have a 2 pin socket.
IMG_3962.jpg

I used a 2 pin connector plug from an old computer fan.
IMG_3961.jpg

it fits perfectly inside the socket...
IMG_3963.jpg

Removed the old manual control by removing the two bolts and detaching the two pull rods. Do the reverse to Install the new control. It will fit perfectly. Connect the cables. (for wiring...see below). All done.
IMG_3964.jpg

Edit:
Thanks to Fakecowboy...I was able to track down the correct wires. remove the spare tire and find the harness for the backup camera. The wires are yellow/purple and Blue/Red.
IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg
Awesome!
Sponsored

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can someone who has removed the stock tailgate wiring harness please post pictures of the rear side of the spare tire plug?

Are the pin holes easily accessable to add the pins needed?

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone have a NZ6Z-14A412-B harness they'd be willing to sell? Can't find one available anywhere. I already have the mechanism.
They are backordered, aka not available.

I pulled out my connector to take a look at it. It appears to be a standard 12-pin molex connector.

This video shows clearly how to add and remove pins from this connector.

I verified that the pins on our connector are standard molex pins. I removed the red pin and easily reinserted it using a small paper clip.

I plan to add the two pins needed for the actuator and run the wires through the existing cable sheath.

Should cost a fraction of buying the cable which is now unobtainium.

There are little black plastic blockers on the rear of the connector that have to be pushed through and removed before the new molex connectors can be pushed through the waterproof gasket. You have to fully remove the white facade from the front to get these plastic pieces out. Inserting a paperclip on either side allows you to remove the white facade.

Here is the cheapest source I found for the MX150 connectors:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2655059426...2jVR-qJRYC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And here is a $14 WPT-1314 connector:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3641013502...2jVR-qJRYC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Depending on the extra 14-20 gauge wire you have sitting around, should be able to DIY the added wiring for ~ $20.

I still have extra MX150 molex pins left from my order. PM me and I'll drop a few in an envelope for whoever needs them.

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230124_093400

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230124_093349

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230124_093535

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230124_104649

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230129_011358

And here is my completed DIY stock cable before:

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230131_105549

And after:

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230131_112847

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230131_124037

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 20230131_131810

Last edited:

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I pulled out my connector to take a look at it. It appears to be a standard 12-pin molex connector.

I verified that the pins on our connector are standard molex pins.

I plan to add the two pins needed for the actuator and run the wires through the existing cable sheath.

20230124_093400.jpg

20230124_093349.jpg

20230124_093535.jpg
I've already have a member here with a cable contact me, thank you. :)

Sponsored

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I verified that the pins on our connector are standard molex pins. I removed the red pin and easily reinserted it using a small paper clip.

There are little black plastic blockers on the rear of the connector that have to be pushed through and removed before the new molex connectors can be pushed through the waterproof gasket. You have to fully remove the white facade from the front to get these plastic pieces out. Inserting a paperclip on either side allows you to remove the white facade.

20230124_093400.jpg

20230124_093349.jpg

20230124_093535.jpg

20230124_104649.jpg
Ordered my actuator and harness 10 days ago from Fairway Ford

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ordered my actuator and harness 10 days ago from Fairway Ford
Have you received them? I've contacted dozens of Ford dealers and authorized sellers, they've all replied the parts are on national backorder without ETA so they're either holding money until they can fill the order or refunding.

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you received them? I've contacted dozens of Ford dealers and authorized sellers, they've all replied the parts are on national backorder without ETA so they're either holding money until they can fill the order or refunding.
Yes put them in this past weekend

Sponsored

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That makes me happy! :)
Me too! Installed the actuator, harness, both switches to convert to cruise control and the fender insulators. Got them all from Fairway Ford, very happy with their service.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still have a theory that there's power to the rear of the truck in the main wiring harness for a tailgate lock actuator. According to parts diagrams for the ranger it looks like there's a shorter harness that includes plugs for the rear camera and the power lock actuator and connects into the main harness under the end of the truck bed. I'm willing to bet that if you trace back the wiring for the camera on the XL and unplug it you'll have multiple pins in the plug on the main part of the harness, two of which will be 12v and ground which are meant for a harness on an XLT or Lariat

Green harness is the shorter harness that connects to backup cam and tailgate lock actuator

Purple harness is main harness
tailharness.jpg
Is the harness (14405 on ranger) the same number on all hybrid maverick trims???? If so then the maverick has an "A" or a "B" pig tail. ???

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the harness (14405 on ranger) the same number on all hybrid maverick trims???? If so then the maverick has an "A" or a "B" pig tail. ???
Many pictures in this thread

JamesC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anybody find the harness back in stock? I check a couple of sites and no go.

A step by step video would be real helpful, I'm definitely do this mod when I get my XL. Thanks to all that contributed the great info!

Garyintexas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anybody find the harness back in stock? I check a couple of sites and no go.

A step by step video would be real helpful, I'm definitely do this mod when I get my XL. Thanks to all that contributed the great info!
Lots of instructions & a video or two. It is really easy.
Sponsored