Sponsored

Dial shifter POLL

Do you prefer the Maverick dial shifter, or a standard/traditional automatic shifter?

• Total voters

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had my doubts going in, but I've come to like the rotary shifter very much. And unlike many here, I even like the way it spins freely. I had to take the Maverick in for a paint repair a month after taking delivery (transit damage...), and the Edge the dealer provided as a loaner had the rotary with hard stops. Drove it for a week, and didn't care for it.
And as an off-topic aside, I REALLY didn't like the eight speed automatic in the Edge. The way it was constantly "hunting" was a real turn off. And I was very happy to get back to the eCVT I was so suspicious of when I first considered the Hybrid. SO very glad I didn't let my preconceptions rule my choices. 😍
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjplus5

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram Power Wagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a rotary shifter in my 300 and found it much easier to use and less obtrusive. Once you get the hang of it, it is a good idea just weird at first.

Ricketts

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to be very PRO "tradional shifter", but now that I own one I don't mind it. Only thing I miss is being able to rest my hand on a floor shifter, but that is trivial at best.

Last edited:

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my hybrid since Dec. Close to 9000 miles on it. I find myself missing the dial when I have to drive my wife's Subaru. I simply love driving my Maverick as you can tell by the miles ;)
On another note, my wife now thinks her Subaru is noisy after riding in my Maverick!
I'm 77 and retired and you would think it would have been hard for me to change from a regular shifter ( either manual or automatic) but after only a short time, I love it. Doesn't hurt that it leaves so much extra open space in that area that in some cars is such a clutter.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had my doubts going in, but I've come to like the rotary shifter very much. And unlike many here, I even like the way it spins freely. I had to take the Maverick in for a paint repair a month after taking delivery (transit damage...), and the Edge the dealer provided as a loaner had the rotary with hard stops. Drove it for a week, and didn't care for it.
And as an off-topic aside, I REALLY didn't like the eight speed automatic in the Edge. The way it was constantly "hunting" was a real turn off. And I was very happy to get back to the eCVT I was so suspicious of when I first considered the Hybrid. SO very glad I didn't let my preconceptions rule my choices. 😍
I think that may be the 1st time I've seen anyone report that. I test drove an Edge last year to get a feel for the powertrain before test driving an Eco Maverick and finally ordering mine. We have an F-150 with the 10 speed that constantly searches for gears when left in Normal mode. By comparison I thought the 8 speed in both the Edge and Maverick shifted smooth as butter. Curious what driving modes and conditions were you experiencing the "hunting" in?

Sponsored

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think that may be the 1st time I've seen anyone report that. I test drove an Edge last year to get a feel for the powertrain before test driving an Eco Maverick and finally ordering mine. We have an F-150 with the 10 speed that constantly searches for gears when left in Normal mode. By comparison I thought the 8 speed in both the Edge and Maverick shifted smooth as butter. Curious what driving modes and conditions were you experiencing the "hunting" in?
Well since the Edge was only temporary, I didn't fiddle with the drive modes at all, so I assume it was in Normal, and all in ordinary stop and go traffic. I did experiment briefly with the paddle shifters out of curiosity, but couldn't really make heads or tails of it. 🤔 Just as well, cause after umpteen years of manuals I've pretty much had my fill of doing my own shifting.
Other than the chance that maybe this loaner had been put through the wringer in its brief 3K miles, the only explanation that occurs to me is maybe my driving style just didn't mate well with the drive train. I usually drive with a pretty light foot, which is why I like the hybrid so much. It feels very lively without having to dig too deep into the throttle...kind of the opposite of the turbo experience, where it feels a little flat until you goose it. And since the Edge transmission felt much more composed when I punched it....I think it's likely just me.

UncleDuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fusion
I've had the dial shifter in my 2017 Fusion, really like it

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love the idea of the dial shifter and haven't had any issues with it. I just don't know about the long term reliability when Ford does it. Dodge has been putting it in their vehicles for over 5 years now along with jeep and probably some others I'm missing.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
after 6 weeks, I dont mind it. But I find myself turning the dial the wrong way on reverse. Be interested on how many others do this. Anyway, not a big deal, just annoying. Not sure how to fix that as prob not best to have a P inbetween D and R

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the dial shifter had positive feedback so you knew what position it was in I would be happier with it. Its like so many electronic touch control features on newer cars. One has to LOOK at the dash or the control to see what position it is in. The lead car in the Pikes Peak race a few days ago didn't win because he had to take his eyes off the road to use the touch screen to turn on the defroster. That cost him the race.

Sponsored

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
after 6 weeks, I dont mind it. But I find myself turning the dial the wrong way on reverse. Be interested on how many others do this. Anyway, not a big deal, just annoying. Not sure how to fix that as prob not best to have a P inbetween D and R
By sheer coincidence, that actually happened to me this morning when backing into my parking space at work. First time in the six months I've owned my truck. Still trying to figure out why my hand did that. I just hope it's not gonna make a habit of it. 😉

Stealth Raccoon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Chevy S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I initially was exposed to the dial shifter in an office vehicle, a 2018 Fusion. Honestly did a triple take because I couldn’t wrap my head around not having a stick to shift with.
Now I appreciate that it is unobtrusive and simple, still my autopilot from years of sticks creeps in on occasion. I like the improvements on the Maverick shifter vs the Fusion.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would assume it’s like that due to the auto park.
If you open the door while stopped, it shifts to park.
If you shut off the vehicle it shifts to park.
If it had a hard stop, the dial would be out if sync with the gears.
Excellent points! Just when I think I'm think I'm wiser than the Ford engineers ... LOL. Thanks for posting this and adding a bit more to our understanding of how this remarkable truck is engineered.

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I like the space saving aspect but I wish (1) the dial itself was bigger, so it would be easier to grip and operate without looking at it; and (2) it had more resistance and distinctive "clicks" for each selection. I operate auto shifters by "feel" (3 clicks from P to D, etc.), so I think those things would make it easier to get used to. I am basing this only on a test drive so I didn't vote.
Sponsored