clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you super sure that USB/12v socket is truly battery constant, or might it just be delayed like how some accessories don’t actually turn off until you turn off the engine, open the door, close it, and lock. Or some have a 30 min delay?

Fuse #3 and #6 are the only micro2 fuses that are ignition-only power, but the first three micro3 fuses in the lower-left of the panel are also ignition only. I’m going to try one of those this weekend if I get my parts in and the weather plays nice.
Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In one of my cars I wired a switch to the cig power so I could turn it on/off.

Reactions: Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you super sure that USB/12v socket is truly battery constant, or might it just be delayed like how some accessories don’t actually turn off until you turn off the engine, open the door, close it, and lock. Or some have a 30 min delay?

Fuse #3 and #6 are the only micro2 fuses that are ignition-only power, but the first three micro3 fuses in the lower-left of the panel are also ignition only. I’m going to try one of those this weekend if I get my parts in and the weather plays nice.
Good point. Let us know what you find out.

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If that's the case, what would be the advantage of hard wiring it?
It'll stop pulling power power when the battery drops below a certain voltage.

Are you super sure that USB/12v socket is truly battery constant, or might it just be delayed like how some accessories don’t actually turn off until you turn off the engine,
The 12v kept my dashcam on for about an hour and 15 minutes, then the battery presumably died. (Last dashcam clip was less than the 3 minutes so it was interrupted)

But on the other hand other nights previous to my dead battery night, the 12v only kept the dashcam on for about ~30-45 minutes.

So not entirely sure what's going on there.

No shenanigans with the usb slots so far.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It'll stop pulling power power when the battery drops below a certain voltage.

The 12v kept my dashcam on for about an hour and 15 minutes, then the battery presumably died. (Last dashcam clip was less than the 3 minutes so it was interrupted)

But on the other hand other nights previous to my dead battery night, the 12v only kept the dashcam on for about ~30-45 minutes.

So not entirely sure what's going on there.

No shenanigans with the usb slots so far.
Did your battery die or did the vehicle automatically shut down its electrical system?

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did your battery die or did the vehicle automatically shut down its electrical system?
It died, or at least was dead in the morning when I got to it.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It died, or at least was dead in the morning when I got to it.
That's very odd. Most cars shut down their 12v systems when you turn off the ignition or at least within 5 minutes. I had a mysterious dead battery on my previous truck only to discover my daughter left on the rear seat lighting all night. Too difficult to detect with the tinted windows.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed my dash cam a couple of days ago, using the power socket in the lower, center part of the dash.
Today, I realized that unlike the other two vehicles I've owned, where I installed a dash cam, the Maverick's power socket stays 'hot' when the ignition is off.
That means the dash cam stays on all the time.:mad:
I could pull the plug out each time I leave the vehicle, which is a real pain, or I could hard wire it in (something I'd rather not do).
Anyone have any other solutions?
You could splice in a on/off switch but wouldn't be easier to just unplug it 😉

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't gotten my Maverick yet, but on my focus I use a very small Garmin dash cam which is connected to the USB port just below my radio. It comes on when I start the car and goes off when I turn the car off. You can hardly even tell that I have a dash cam. Very happy with it. Ran the wire just under the headliner under the weather stripping on the door, under the dash where the excess wire resides and goes to the USB port. Almost invisible. I was going to hard wire but this was so much easier ;)
Do you not lose the parking monitor ability of the dash cam?

Sponsored

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately, the USB port, which is located right beside the large power socket, is also 'hot' all the time.
My USB port isn't hot all the time? I turn off my hybrid, my dash cam goes off. I turn on my hybrid, the dash cam comes on. It's installed and working with no hitches.

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hardwired a viofo a129 using a kit they sell. Along with a piece of coat hanger and some electrical tape it went pretty well.
It tells the camera when the acc circuit turns off and switches itself to parking mode.
This is lower power usage and seems to last at least 12 hours without the camera shutting off.

On a side not my truck never shuts off the engine anymore for auto start/stop. I checked the battery and it was 12.66v which seemed perfectly fine to me. The truck apparently isn't happy with that voltage and keeps the engine running to charge itself.
My driving habits put me at just over 1 hr of driving time and 23 hrs of parked time per day.

OP
OP

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
My USB port isn't hot all the time? I turn off my hybrid, my dash cam goes off. I turn on my hybrid, the dash cam comes on. It's installed and working with no hitches.
Then the USB power supply is different between the hybrid and eco boost Mavericks, because when I used my USB plug to power my dash cam the camera stayed powered when the ignition was turned off.
I also checked the USB outlet with another device and found I could get power to that device with the ignition off.

Paul Stovner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed my dash cam a couple of days ago, using the power socket in the lower, center part of the dash.
Today, I realized that unlike the other two vehicles I've owned, where I installed a dash cam, the Maverick's power socket stays 'hot' when the ignition is off.
That means the dash cam stays on all the time.:mad:
I could pull the plug out each time I leave the vehicle, which is a real pain, or I could hard wire it in (something I'd rather not do).
Anyone have any other solutions?
On my 2023 Maverick the Power Socket (12V) and the USB sockets shut off automatically, but it's a long 4 minutes after you shut off the vehicle. So you might want to re-check?
Sponsored