Dash cam installed

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
I installed my dash cam a couple of days ago, using the power socket in the lower, center part of the dash.
Today, I realized that unlike the other two vehicles I've owned, where I installed a dash cam, the Maverick's power socket stays 'hot' when the ignition is off.
That means the dash cam stays on all the time.:mad:
I could pull the plug out each time I leave the vehicle, which is a real pain, or I could hard wire it in (something I'd rather not do).
Anyone have any other solutions?
Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Think you answered your own question.. I see add a fuse in your future.

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I installed my dash cam a couple of days ago, using the power socket in the lower, center part of the dash.
Today, I realized that unlike the other two vehicles I've owned, where I installed a dash cam, the Maverick's power socket stays 'hot' when the ignition is off.
I could pull the plug out each time I leave the vehicle, which is a real pain, or I could hard wire it in (something I'd rather not do).
Hard wiring is the way to go and not very difficult. I just finished installing and will post a writeup with pics shortly..

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you say "using the power socket in the lower, center part of the dash" ... do you mean the "OBDII" connector?

This is why this is still an unresolved issue for HYBRIDS. I thought this might not be an issue with EB's but apparently it is.

From REDDIT ...

"I was looking into the Ford Dash Cams (Part No. VHL3Z-19G490-D) listed in the Ford Accessories WEB Page which I ordered and received. The Ford Dash Cams (package) include a OBDII connector wire harness as the one option to install (and power) the Dash Cams. I then went to the OEM web site for the Dash Cams (Thinkware WEB Site) seeking additional information on features and installation of the Dash Cams. I noticed that the OEM - repeatedly - warned that the OBDII connector harness was not to be used with hybrid/ electric vehicles but Ford includes the OBDII connector harness in their Ford branded packages with no warning or restrictions on their use/ installation with hybrid/ electric vehicles ... I contacted the Dash Cam OEM "Thinkware" to ask about this discrepancy and this was their response: "We are not sure why Ford is offering the OBD Cable for electric vehicles, however, we are currently reaching out to Ford to ensure that they are aware that the OBD Cable is not compatible with electric/hybrid vehicles*"*. ... So Ford, if you're lurking and see this, would you mind providing clarification on the use of the OBDII harness connector (included in Part No.VHL3Z-19G490-D) with the Ford Maverick Hybrids <and now apparently also EB's> ... thanks.
/u/timbartz

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not talking about the OBD-II plug. I'm talking about the 'cigarette' power socket, which is near the USB plugs, in the lower center part of the dash.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered (Amazon) a OBDII power cable to USB charger cable dash cam hardwire kit. Hopefully, this will solve my problem.

Edit: I just cancelled my order. After some more research I don't think this is the best way to go, so I'll probably hard wire the dash cam in, as I don't see another good solution.

Last edited:

Mojorayy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have this same issue in my CX-5. I ended up purchasing a male to female USB cable with a rocker switch on it from Amazon and use it in-line.

I turn it off/on whenever necessary. Was a pain and annoying at first, compared to my previous setup, but I got used to it.

Hard-wiring is probably a better solution if you want to go that direction.

minitab

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick

Hi, I did same job today to install a dash cam, same problem, looks like all fuses are hot even engine is off. But I found that number 3 fuse for Auto-dimming interior mirror is a perfect one, it has no power after engine off.

Try it, I think that can solve your problem.

Last edited:

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't gotten my Maverick yet, but on my focus I use a very small Garmin dash cam which is connected to the USB port just below my radio. It comes on when I start the car and goes off when I turn the car off. You can hardly even tell that I have a dash cam. Very happy with it. Ran the wire just under the headliner under the weather stripping on the door, under the dash where the excess wire resides and goes to the USB port. Almost invisible. I was going to hard wire but this was so much easier ;)

OP
OP

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, the USB port, which is located right beside the large power socket, is also 'hot' all the time.

Sponsored

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't get scared by the terms "hard wire". It is so easy. Just get a voltmeter, take your time, get an add a fuse, viola. There may even be power near the rear view / sunroof you can tap into.

OP
OP

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mojorayy, that is the easiest solution, but knowing me I'd forget, half the time, to turn the power on or off.

@SuperTongue, your's is the best long term solution. I'll probably go that route, but I'll wait until someone else installs one in their Maverick first.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't get scared by the terms "hard wire". It is so easy. Just get a voltmeter, take your time, get an add a fuse, viola. There may even be power near the rear view / sunroof you can tap into.
That's easier said than done for some of us........ :mad:

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a question. If the 12v socket is hot all the time, does that mean the camera can use the parking monitoring feature (assuming it has that feature)? If that's the case, what would be the advantage of hard wiring it?

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a question. If the 12v socket is hot all the time, does that mean the camera can use the parking monitoring feature (assuming it has that feature)? If that's the case, what would be the advantage of hard wiring it?
If you want that feature you would want it hot all the time. I would still hard wire it to keep the cord out of the way. I hard wired mine in my Sport Trac with a kit similar to this

https://tinyurl.com/yeyvvhcf

It supposedly will turn power off if the vehicle battery drops too low to prevent a dead battery.

However, I wired it to an ACC circuit so it turns off when the car does. May consider wiring it hot and using the parking/shock feature when I move it to the Maverick.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dad