Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think all this back and forth started with the discrepancy between what the folks used to the old school days would call the the difference between engine and race car builders and engine and car modifiers. A cylinder head company would post up runner dimensions and flow volumes. A builder would know that after more port work they can get it to do what they want at the rpm they run at. A modifier would look at the numbers and be asking people how much hp 20cc of intake runner flow means. The modifier would get called names feeling would be hurt and someone would lash out at a company for only posting this or that about their products. Problem was its a new head design on a motor thats only a few years old. Things are known but arent yet proven the the bench racing circuit.

This argument is as old as hotrodding itself. I think the important thing is to not get hurt by things people say on the internet.
Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

John, I hope you know I have nothing but respect for you but I never said the turbo would give you this or do that. All I said was that this turbo would make enough power to satisfy 99 % of the crowd. Saying that thereā€™s no map could mean 2 things. A road map to mods, which is clearly laid out. If he was referring to a tuning Map, thatā€™s in the works. Again I never claimed any numbers or times but you know very well what this setup is capable of.

Iā€™m not here to make enemies Iā€™m just trying to make parts for the Maverick.

He was referring to Comp Turbo, the company making the turbos.

I have never pretended or claimed to be something Iā€™m not.

Thank you. šŸ™‚
I'm assuming Azmig88 is your business partner. His attitude is pretty poor, but I have very thick skin plus I have the benefit of knowing that I'm asking reasonable questions.

Truly, good luck to you and your customers. This is just not yet anywhere near refined enough for me. Feels very DIY.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm assuming Azmig88 is your business partner. His attitude is pretty poor, but I have very thick skin plus I have the benefit of knowing that I'm asking reasonable questions.

Truly, good luck to you and your customers. This is just not yet anywhere near refined enough for me. Feels very DIY.
Said so nicely

And no, Iā€™m not his partner. I feel like heā€™s a great guy and his word is 1,000,000% valid.
In 2023 thick skin can be an asset. šŸ˜€

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Said so nicely

And no, Iā€™m not his partner. I feel like heā€™s a great guy and his word is 1,000,000% valid.
In 2023 thick skin can be an asset. šŸ˜€
Thats like 10,000 whole valids!

Remember when Edelbrock would send out an annual catalogue of all their parts and have dynos of each motor type for every level of build with their parts. It only took em 60 years to get to that point. Ofcourse the fledgling internet and the circle of dudes wherever car talk was happening (before social media) always had things to say about Edelbrocks "claims". So I figure by that measure Fast Mavericks should have all this well sorted out and detailed in a catalogue by 2070. Maybe even 2060 with the advances in communication technology. I know I will be on the mailing list.

OP
OP
Fast Mavericks

Fast Mavericks

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat Eco AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A turbo built by Comp Turbo is not refined enough? Thatā€™s a serious question. They arenā€™t some mom and pop shop, they build turbos for record setting race cars. To top it off an 18 month unlimited mile warranty.

I get it, you have something against me which is fine.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A turbo built by Comp Turbo is not refined enough? Thatā€™s a serious question. They arenā€™t some mom and pop shop, they build turbos for record setting race cars. To top it off an 18 month unlimited mile warranty.

I get it, you have something against me which is fine.
That's not it at all. Either/both.

I expect the following:
- Turbo
- All parts to install: fastners, gaskets, anything it takes to bolt up
- Appropriate map / tunes (91 and 93 at least), and tuning device or fee to install included
- Draggy, dyno result, some kind of proof of value

Do we really expect the turbo to fail assuming an air filter is used? If you say 18 month unlimited mile warranty are you including the engine? Do you think some customers might assume you do?

OP
OP
Fast Mavericks

Fast Mavericks

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat Eco AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That's not it at all. Either/both.

I expect the following:
- Turbo
- All parts to install: fastners, gaskets, anything it takes to bolt up
- Appropriate map / tunes (91 and 93 at least), and tuning device or fee to install included
- Draggy, dyno result, some kind of proof of value

Do we really expect the turbo to fail assuming an air filter is used? If you say 18 month unlimited mile warranty are you including the engine? Do you think some customers might assume you do?
Since you EXPECT all these this then I assume you are planning to buy one. Yet we both know thatā€™s not true so Iā€™ll address your demands.

I offer 2 options on my site, a Ranger and a Corsair version. You can buy separately or a complete package which includes:

Turbo and downpipe of choice
New OEM head to turbo gasket, 4 new turbo nuts, 3 new turbo studs and nuts, new downpipe gasket, new oil, coolant, and drain lines with gaskets, new trans to PTU seal, and 6 new driveshaft bolts and brackets.

Also included detailed install instructions and my phone number for help along the way if needed. The only thing you need is few hand tools and corresponding fluids(oil, etc.) Thatā€™s about as complete as a package can be.

In regards to the tuning, I donā€™t recall seeing an upgraded turbo including a tuner.

Which brings me full circle to my map. The first mod I recommended and sold was a tuner. For most people thatā€™s plenty (myself and a few others ran 13s stock, tune only). Then an intake and suggest a catch can to keep motor clean. From here some people bought a downpipe others bought an intercooler. Though I recommend doing the turbo at the same time as Downpipe.

There arenā€™t many mods available and I pretty much got as fast as the stock turbo would go. With basically the same mods and weight drop, John went a little faster. Ultimately the bigger turbo got him the worldā€™s fastest Mav.

I took the turbo one step further and added hardpipes to a proven combo and am accused of winging it.

Regarding tuning, Iā€™m working with Liveronis on staged tunes based on mods.

Thatā€™s all from me.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good answers and it wasn't a demand, it's just what I would expect for a product to be viable. And you're certainly right that I'm not buying this now, I am waiting to see if there is a Maverick ST. If there isn't, I'm much more interested in this level of modification.

AtlasBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, I want to buy a full setup for our Tremor but I will have to have you keep it on the shelf for about 4 years until I convince my wife we need more power. Super exciting I will try to buy something from you that doesnt raise eyebrows at the maintenece department though.
The wife is always the catch šŸ˜‚ same here

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The wife is always the catch šŸ˜‚ same here
Well as much as I will be taking care of the Maverick and building it and driving it whenever we go anywhere together, its really her Maverick. I drive my work truck to and from work. A Maverick, or anything made since 2005 or so, isnt really suited to my work. I push through jungle, haul logs, coconuts, and many cans of juicy compost and juicier recycling. So the Maverick is for my wife, she is in varied aspects of construction and needs a truck, but also deserves something nice and comfy. She likes offroading and speed and such but doesnt have the gasoline in the brain like I do. One day once she gets used to the power it puts down, maybe I can get her interested.

Sponsored

Lederpboss

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since you EXPECT all these this then I assume you are planning to buy one. Yet we both know thatā€™s not true so Iā€™ll address your demands.

I offer 2 options on my site, a Ranger and a Corsair version. You can buy separately or a complete package which includes:

Turbo and downpipe of choice
New OEM head to turbo gasket, 4 new turbo nuts, 3 new turbo studs and nuts, new downpipe gasket, new oil, coolant, and drain lines with gaskets, new trans to PTU seal, and 6 new driveshaft bolts and brackets.

Also included detailed install instructions and my phone number for help along the way if needed. The only thing you need is few hand tools and corresponding fluids(oil, etc.) Thatā€™s about as complete as a package can be.

In regards to the tuning, I donā€™t recall seeing an upgraded turbo including a tuner.

Which brings me full circle to my map. The first mod I recommended and sold was a tuner. For most people thatā€™s plenty (myself and a few others ran 13s stock, tune only). Then an intake and suggest a catch can to keep motor clean. From here some people bought a downpipe others bought an intercooler. Though I recommend doing the turbo at the same time as Downpipe.

There arenā€™t many mods available and I pretty much got as fast as the stock turbo would go. With basically the same mods and weight drop, John went a little faster. Ultimately the bigger turbo got him the worldā€™s fastest Mav.

I took the turbo one step further and added hardpipes to a proven combo and am accused of winging it.

Regarding tuning, Iā€™m working with Liveronis on staged tunes based on mods.

Thatā€™s all from me.

I don't think he doesn't like you, I can definitely see his point of view. In this day and age, I would expect a few baseline maps for the most common configurations available (intake/cat back and new turbo, maybe a downpipe version as well), available for the most common tuners. So much can be damaged without proper tuning, I would not want to even start the engine without a starting point tune.

I think the turbo company is reputable, respectfully, I think you and your brand is the bigger question mark to his original point. Just comes with being new to the game. From what this post shows, it seems you did infact make a pretty comprehensive package, so good on you for that. I do think the 2 versions are a little confusing. Are they both direct bolt on? And what's driving the price discrepancy? It's a pretty sizeable difference for the ranger version.

VRausch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT EB 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are there compressor maps available for this turbo and the OEM to compare? I didn't see a flow rating listed on the site either so that'd also be something myself and likely others would like to know.
Sponsored