First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're comparing communication and shipping times for a vehicle nobody is really looking for to one that everyone is looking for.

Well just think of it as a comparison between the two. Best and worst case of getting a new vehicle.
Sponsored

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The best takeaway from the OP description of his Toyota buying process, at least for me, is this:

Toyota was able to produce a highly optioned vehicle on spec (built in November, not sold until December) with no supply chain or transport disruptions (both ocean transport and U.S. rail/truck transport).

That suggests that Ford, with all due allowances for the unknowns inherent in a new model launch, could probably learn some things from the Toyota Way.

Although the timeline is actually pretty close to what Ford did when I ordered my 2012 F-350, it appears Toyota was better prepared for chip shortages than Ford and has a better handle on transport logistics.

From order to delivery of the F-350 was only about 6 weeks. Official communication wasn't very good, but a member of the FTE forum was able to give me status updates right up until it left Kentucky and I switched to the rail tracking. Thus, my experience was good but official communications apparently haven't improved much since then.
The Corolla op bought doesn't have a hybrid battery. He even mentioned he would have to wait months to get a hybrid Corolla showing that it isn't just Ford that's constrained on hybrids. It's a global battery shortage. If he switched to a base XLT Ecoboost he could have been built already. That's what I would have done instead of buying a Corolla. Not 41 mpg great but a truck form factor will be more versatile for years to come.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the reason is because Ford CAN'T build more than about 130,000 of them each year. They are only built at one factory, and that is shared with the Bronco Sport. They may be making plans to add additional Maverick lines somewhere, but of course none of that happens overnight, and perhaps the vehicle is not so profitable that it makes sense for them to do that.
Exactly it takes years to setup a plant and increase production capacity. Between that and hybrid battery constraints it's at max capacity for hybrids.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think a Toyota Corolla Cross would be something I'd consider if the Maverick ends up being out too long. How long is too long? I don't know but longer than a year is going to make me think "To heck with it" and I'd even consider just walking away from my order with deposit and any new Ford in the future.
The trouble I'd have with any Toyota car is the low ground clearance. Six inches or more of snow makes me think you'd have a good chance of getting stuck.

I'll wait for now and nurse my 23 year old S10 along.

I'm sick of turning wrenches though and getting 13 mpg or so in town.
If you're going Corolla cross why not switch to Ecoboost? The mpg difference isn't that great. Driving experience is night and day between maverick and Corolla cross plus you lose the versatility of the truck form factor. The CC is underpowered and tiny I don't see the point of that vehicle. Might as well get a certified rav 4 in the same price range.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're going Corolla cross why not switch to Ecoboost? The mpg difference isn't that great. Driving experience is night and day between maverick and Corolla cross plus you lose the versatility of the truck form factor. The CC is underpowered and tiny I don't see the point of that vehicle. Might as well get a certified rav 4 in the same price range.
Your right in all of your points, above all the bed. Absolutely right.

As a consumer though I want the hybrid at the cost promised. If I have to switch to the Ecoboost just to get a Maverick and wait or wait longer for something promised (the hybrid and maybe expected would be a better word) that may not happen and then pay more again a year down the road, well, what can you say? I'll walk at that point.

A bridge has been burned and I wasn't the one holding a match to what from the outside to me looks like a dumpster fire.

In the end, walking away is the only real power the consumer has. A decision has to be made not to feed the machine.

At any rate I get your point.

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your right in all of your points, above all the bed. Absolutely right.

As a consumer though I want the hybrid at the cost promised. If I have to switch to the Ecoboost just to get a Maverick and wait or wait longer for something promised (the hybrid and maybe expected would be a better word) that may not happen and then pay more again a year down the road, well, what can you say? I'll walk at that point.

A bridge has been burned and I wasn't the one holding a match to what from the outside to me looks like a dumpster fire.

In the end, walking away is the only real power the consumer has. A decision has to be made not to feed the machine.

At any rate I get your point.
I guess I just don't get the sentiment.....who promised it to you? Jim Farley? They do what they can do with limited manufacturing capacity. I don't know why we have this outlook and sorry to say it but entitlement when it comes to vehicles. I think it's because we have had an eternity of being able to purchase just about any vehicle we want at or below cost. How come we don't perceive grocery items the same way we do vehicles? I feel like no matter what time of the week I go get groceries they are out of my favorite all natural coffee creamer, what gives? None of us have any right to a vehicle. Sure, we have a need for transportation but as OP pointed out, he needed transportation and bought what he could, a Corolla, he didn't have a right to a Maverick and nobody promised him one. I don't understand the mentality of blaming Ford. Product planning and forecasting for the Maverick was done years ago, it probably started in 2018 and I'm sure they forecasted projections for how many they would sell and therefore, where they would produce it, ie a factory that could support their projected sales numbers. Then a pandemic struck, then Putin invaded Ukraine, gas prices shot sky high, inflation went out of control, supply chain was backed up, labor shortages.

I just can't fathom how anyone could be salty that they can't buy the most researched vehicle of 2022 when the people planning production for the Maverick in 2018/2019 had no crystal ball to predict any one of the things I mentioned let alone the insane combination of crazy things that have happened since 2020. And then you want communication? What do you want? An email saying "Well, today, Bob, our senior purchasing agent tried finding a new vendor for our wiring harnesses at XX price because our existing supplier said they can't get enough materials. None of the suppliers he called could meet his requirements or price point. He also had a bologna sandwich for lunch, washed it down with a Dr. Pepper, diet of course and then ate the Hershey kiss his wife Brenda left for him in his lunch box, 12 years of marriage going strong!" Would that make you feel better? Would it change anything? Would it get you a Maverick Hybrid?

Are there some things Ford could have done better? Sure but as OP pointed out, he can't even get a Corolla Hybrid anytime soon so Toyota isn't much better off and it's not even as popular as the Maverick anyway. Be happy that you at least got an order in and have a chance. Some have missed the order window for two years in a row now. I guess if you want communication and a car in a few weeks there's a Corolla (non hybrid of course) out there with your name on it. If you want a Maverick then you'll just have to hurry up and wait.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess I just don't get the sentiment.....who promised it to you?

If you want a Maverick then you'll just have to hurry up and wait.
It's called managing expectations.

Your right. Either abandon the the idea of owning a Ford Maverick or wait. I think I stated that.

I'm entitled, as is the OP and everyone else, to walk. When the Maverick has been oversold like seats on an airplane you gotta expect some folks to have concerns or be upset.

Frankly, I'm kinda done with excuses. Build or don't. In six months or a year. I don't care but build it. If your not or can't why would you expect customers to hang around in hope? If demand or interest way exceeded capacity in this the age of computers, servers, spreadsheets and instant business communication, why couldn't customers have been told that it's a 50% pipe dream from the onset?

I think in the future this roll out will be part of a college business class.

Yup. Dumpster fire.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Your right. Either abandon the the idea of owning a Ford Maverick or wait. I think I stated that.

I'm entitled, as is the OP and everyone else, to walk. When the Maverick has been oversold like seats on an airplane you gotta expect some folks to have concerns or be upset.

Frankly, I'm kinda done with excuses. Build or don't. In six months or a year. I don't care but build it. If your not or can't why would you expect customers to hang around in hope? If demand or interest way exceeded capacity in this the age of computers, servers, spreadsheets and instant business communication, why couldn't customers have been told that it's a 50% pipe dream from the onset?

Yup. Dumpster fire.
They don't expect or care if you wait around, there are ten people waiting to buy it at a markup no less. It's unfortunate but it's the truth and fortunately for consumers that won't always be the case and the tides will change, it's just a matter of when. My father waited a couple of weeks shy of a year for his base Ecoboost model. It is what it is. It's a publicly traded company and Farley's only obligation is to the share holders so if that means reducing outlook for Maverick Hybrid production so they can pump out more 80k Lightnings like my brother just purchased then that's what they have to do.

Ferdinand

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess that if you decided to go for a Corolla you really do not need all he features of the Mav, like the bed, great millage, low price, etc, etc. (I waited 15 month and 1 day for my RR First Edition, and no regrets at all). You got your Corolla fast, but its a different story with high demand Toyota models. Just try to buy a Toyota Sienna Minivan. You cant custom order it, and apparently some models take far over a year to get delivered (check the Toyota Forum). The waiting lists on Sienna's are huge. Currently I am waiting for a second Mav (2023 XL), and I am not counting at all to get it this year. I will just wait, as any Mav is one of the hottest commodity Ford has build over last few years. If you really want one, its worthwhile to wait. Long waiting times are always a problem of production capacity and demand. This is not a new problem, but it became much more noticable over the last 2 years.
Anyway, just enjoy your Corolla, which for sure is a great little car, really reliable and great look, great fit and finish and very dependable, and of course: available.
Its just not a Maverick !!
(just my 2 cents).

Ford Maverick Couldn’t wait on Ford any longer.. IMG_9841 (002)

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sometime around March, I'm going to visit my dealer in person and see how realistic it is that my 2023 Maverick hybrid XLT will be built.
I’ll save you the trip. You got a 50/50 shot like all of the other hybrid orders.

Sponsored

mikegs1952

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're comparing communication and shipping times for a vehicle nobody is really looking for to one that everyone is looking for.

Well just think of it as a comparison between the two. Best and worst case of getting a new vehicle.
LOL "EVERYONE is looking for". Toyota sold over 200,000 Corollas last year, So, quite a few people are looking for one.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Corolla is NOT a versatile segment redefining compact TRUCK. NO comparison. End of discussion. Buh-bye! C-Ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

DaveMave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Toyota p/u, Santa Cruz SEL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Yup. Dumpster fire.
Ford Maverick Couldn’t wait on Ford any longer.. 1672760658655

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL "EVERYONE is looking for". Toyota sold over 200,000 Corollas last year, So, quite a few people are looking for one.

More like settled for one. It's not a vehicle anyone would buy a poster of to hang in their room when they were little hoping to someday be successful enough to afford one.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.