Sponsored

Converting Hybrid to a plug in hybrid...

OP
OP

Vmontello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Short version:
It's easier than you think.
It's 10x more expensive than you think.
It doesn't do what you think it would do.

What it did for the Escape was NOT add 40 miles of EV range.

What it did do is boost the 36 MPG to 60 MPG tor the first 40 miles.

Basically the car's behavior remained the same. But the second battery would constantly recharge the stock one, instead of the engine. So it was like going downhill for 40 miles.

Without rebuilding EVERYTHING, by using the same software, same wires, same motor, same transmission, with a second battery the amount of amps; the amount of boost, the amount of EV horsepower remains the same. If you have to granny it in a parking lot now to stay in EV you'll have to granny it with more battery.

Just the length of time you can granny it gets longer.
Thanks for the actual answer. No snarkiness, just facts. Much appreciated.
Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Short version:
It's easier than you think.
It's 10x more expensive than you think.
It doesn't do what you think it would do.

What it did for the Escape was NOT add 40 miles of EV range.

What it did do is boost the 36 MPG to 60 MPG tor the first 40 miles.

Basically the car's behavior remained the same. But the second battery would constantly recharge the stock one, instead of the engine. So it was like going downhill for 40 miles.

Without rebuilding EVERYTHING, by using the same software, same wires, same motor, same transmission, with a second battery the amount of amps; the amount of boost, the amount of EV horsepower remains the same. If you have to granny it in a parking lot now to stay in EV you'll have to granny it with more battery.

Just the length of time you can granny it gets longer.
That's pretty interesting- the easiest way to go.

The Volt or other PHEVs (which can drive faster speed pure electric) would be a lot more complicated, and I wonder what the cost would be...

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It may be possible earlier if Ford has enough lithium they can transfer to maverick from the EV production cutbacks.
It could come as early as 2025 MY, or late as 2028 MY.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You'll note you cannot start this hybrid in Neutral while you are standing still.

This is because if power is applied to the Motor/Generator that is also the starter, the wheels could turn, and the unexpected movement could cause damage or injure someone.

You CAN start the truck while rolling in Neutral over 6 mph because hey, you're already rolling so probably not a wall or person standing there.

See also: there is no "neutral".
(There's only freewheel.)

OP
OP

Vmontello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You'll note you cannot start this hybrid in Neutral while you are standing still.

This is because if power is applied to the Motor/Generator that is also the starter, the wheels could turn, and the unexpected movement could cause damage or injure someone.

You CAN start the truck while rolling in Neutral over 6 mph because hey, you're already rolling so probably not a wall or person standing there.

See also: there is no "neutral".
(There's only freewheel.)
Not trying to be a dick, but wondering what does this neutral thing have to do with the question?

Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not trying to be a dick, but wondering what does this neutral thing have to do with the question?
It means the starter motor can send torque to the wheels too; not just the traction motor, talked about by someone else above. That's all.

Two motors, two generators in these trucks.

Jared

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is anyone else wondering why anyone would want to do this, given the circumstances of the OP?

I often wonder why people wear masks in cars when they’re alone too though so maybe I’m the idiot.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was there a DC-DC charger between the new extra batteries and the original batteries? Or were the extra batteries just connected in parallel with the original batteries?

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't believe that's correct, I believe both electric motors can provide power.
In both the Prius Prime and Prius Plug-In MG2 can add an extra ~20hp (depending on the year) because of an extra sprag clutch/brake on the input to the planet carrier of the power split device inside the eCVT.

Edit: Maverick hybrids do not have this sprag. Only the traction motor can provide forward torque while the engine is off. Any torque produced by MG2 in this state would be transferred to the engines crankshaft through the damper.

Last edited:

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is anyone else wondering why anyone would want to do this, given the circumstances of the OP?

I often wonder why people wear masks in cars when they’re alone too though so maybe I’m the idiot.
It’s likely to be the only way anyone will ever have a PHEV Maverick. I just don’t see Ford finding a market for considerably higher priced and more complicated Mavericks with very low economic return on the investment.

Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was there a DC-DC charger between the new extra batteries and the original batteries? Or were the extra batteries just connected in parallel with the original batteries?
In the very early days, no DC/DC.
The second battery was in parallel.
I was only involved in 2007-2008.
I don't know the "current" state of the art.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've read this is possible with some hybrids but wondering if anyone has heard of it done with a maverick. Since I drive mostly locally I'd love to be able to get 20-30 miles without the ICE kicking in.

Anyone?
I suppose one could look into a totaled Ford Escape or Lincoln Corsair PHEV. Would all the work involved be worth it. That would be you you to decide.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suppose one could look into a totaled Ford Escape or Lincoln Corsair PHEV. Would all the work involved be worth it. That would be you you to decide.
And you would not get the PHEV tax credit that is offered on some PHEVs and can sometimes justify their extra cost.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Adding an extra battery is like adding an extra gallon of gas is all I'm saying.

It will not change the performance of the truck.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And you would not get the PHEV tax credit that is offered on some PHEVs and can sometimes justify their extra cost.
Very key.
We owned a couple Prius Primes and a Rav4 Prime - never would have made fiscal sense to purchase without EV tax credit and other rebates.

I loved having the ability to run around town on battery only. However my $24k Mav hybrid can get 50 mpg around town. $4 of gas = 50 miles. A PHEV won't pencil out. If it qualifies for the full EV tax credit and comes with AWD without loosing too much mpg - maybe I'd bite. I prefer value-priced vehicles and no way that a PHEV Mav will be any other trim than fully loaded, unfortunately.
Sponsored