Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems like those of us with the hitch are stuck with the silly not full size ford spare ?

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Formula11

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL AWD AREA51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was just looking at the picture of that thread it looks like the 245/70/17 is over the teeth bracket

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The "full size spare" is not a full-size tire. It's narrower. This thread is about putting a legitimate full size tire in its place.
Actually, it's the difference in diameter that is the problem.

HRG

Ford Maverick Confirmed. Steelie as full size spare does fit tire size comparison.JPG

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems like those of us with the hitch are stuck with the silly not full size ford spare ?
In all honesty how often do you use your spare tire? I'm 53 and have been drying since 15, in all that time I think I have used my spare maybe 4 times.

OP
OP
Maverick2023

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In all honesty how often do you use your spare tire? I'm 53 and have been drying since 15, in all that time I think I have used my spare maybe 4 times.
I had 2 blown out the last 2 years while driving cross country. In my case, I definitely need it. This thread is for those like myself. If it doesn’t apply to your lifestyle then you may move on. Thanks for stopping by.

Sponsored

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
my apologies. It seems you have to guide the spare by pulling it toward the back of the car so that the tire will lie next to the tooth thingy and then tighten it. I had to go back to make sure the tooth don’t bite too deep into the tire. See pics.

4A1EB3DE-A6DD-4CED-B721-47B696B3379D.jpeg

9579D5C2-7D7F-495C-A937-460A19DF2BA6.jpeg

1ED62847-D611-431A-B9DE-2013D82052B6.jpeg

0C52448F-A530-476F-B278-7D278B05CADB.jpeg
I cannot emphasize enough how inadvisable this is! That sawtooth bracket is there specifically to catch the spare tire in a rear-end collision and keep it from impacting the fuel tank. The tire stowed as shown will not perform as designed. At best, this will lead to sidewall damage from prolonged pressure against the saw tooth and could lead to a blowout when you actually need to use the spare tire.

The Maverick team was very specifically limited by overall vehicle structure length and could not fit a full road size spare tire between the sub-frame and trailer hitch. I understand the desire for a true road size spare, but there simply is not the space for it and compromising your vehicle's safety is not the answer.

Bry@n

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL, F150, Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I experienced extreme heat and codes when my nephew borrowed an AWD Nissan I had. Flat tire and he placed the spare up front which was a different size like above. Book said to put spare on rear.

OP
OP
Maverick2023

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I cannot emphasize enough how inadvisable this is! That sawtooth bracket is there specifically to catch the spare tire in a rear-end collision and keep it from impacting the fuel tank. The tire stowed as shown will not perform as designed. At best, this will lead to sidewall damage from prolonged pressure against the saw tooth and could lead to a blowout when you actually need to use the spare tire.

The Maverick team was very specifically limited by overall vehicle structure length and could not fit a full road size spare tire between the sub-frame and trailer hitch. I understand the desire for a true road size spare, but there simply is not the space for it and compromising your vehicle's safety is not the answer.
Did you not see my last pic with the tooth clawing against the tire just as it did with the donut? I’m showing people how I’m doing it with a full sized tire just as people lifting their trucks. No body holding a gun to your head to do what I do.

glpuckett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FE Rapid Red 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry, I'm just now reading these threads and I don't understand. I have a 1st Edition with a trailer hitch and it came with a "Full Size Spare". Now, I admit I only lowered the tire to the ground (get familiar with doing it) so I didn't measure it, but my understanding is that it is a "Real Useable Full Size Tire" are you saying that it isn't?
Sponsored