Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So the average price of a new vehicle these days is about $36,000. A basic electric vehicle is not bad price wise. By basic, I'm talking Chevy Bolt, not Tesla Model 3. when you compare basic electric and basic gas, the prices are not that different. But current electric car buyers are still early adopters. Take a look at what trims sell to the first to buy. Is the Bronco Sport Badlands a basic vehicle? Nope. That would be the Ford Escape with the 3 cylinder turbo. Which is not so different price wise form the slightly smaller Chevy Bolt EUV. You want to get gouged on a vehicle, think Raptor and TRX. That said, I drive a used car i paid $12,000 for so I'm not buying electric any time soon.
don't forget, that EV price is subsidized to the tune of what $7K by Uncle Joe, and he wants to increase it. It's not a level field price wise and this is about ideology and certain favored groups deciding for the rest of us with power of gov't behind them. The really shitty part is when they force ICE vehicles out of existence and you can only buy EVs- then the hand wringers come out of the woodwork talking about how unfair it is because poor people can't afford them so gov't "Helps" the poor buy them in the name of fairness and equity. The thing they won't publicize is ICE cars actually contribute LESS pollutants into the air after you factor in the dirty power needed to use the chargers for EVs and battery disposal/recycling at end of life.
Sponsored

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
So, I paid $12,000 for my mostly electric Chevy Volt used. No tax incentive for me. It is a hoot to drive. The instant torque from the electric motor is just fun. Driving silently is also cool. Maybe that means I drank the cool aide, but I can't go back. I want a plug in hybrid Maverick.

mcknzy

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
So, I paid $12,000 for my mostly electric Chevy Volt used. No tax incentive for me. It is a hoot to drive. The instant torque from the electric motor is just fun. Driving silently is also cool. Maybe that means I drank the cool aide, but I can't go back. I want a plug in hybrid Maverick.
That would be great.

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Current headlines are that gas supplies will be tight and prices high this summer. These kinds of conditions aren't great for most still driving ICE vehicles but they will create extra demand for EV. The future is coming. How fast is the question.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I'm all for BEV, if it makes sense for my particular drive cycle and needs. I would transition to a hybrid or plug-in hybrid, but not yet ready to jump all in on BEV. I'll let the technology mature another cycle before I jump into such. The last thing I want is a 5,000lb compact vehicle that feels like a lead sled driving around town.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Yeah, but that article says it is not expected in the US or Canadian market. If I was GM, I'd be looking carefully at how the Santa Cruz does and how the Maverick does. If they sell well, GM can always start bringing that little trucklette up to the US and Canada. If it can meet US safety specs.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I like Chevy products, but that truck is 1) ugly (the poor souls that have to sit in that back seat) and 2) way under powered for the US market (133hp, come on man).

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are other players that could jump in, if only they would bring the small trucks they've been selling elsewhere in the world to the US.

There's Volkwagen - https://gearjunkie.com/motors/volkswagen-vw-tarok-midsize-pickup-truck

Fiat - https://www.motor1.com/news/503002/2022-fiat-toro-facelift-revealed/

and let's not forget the "Great Wall Wingle 6" - Seriously... see #9 on this list -
https://www.hotcars.com/20-foreign-pickups-every-american-wants-to-drive-but-cant/
The next generation VW Tarok is going to be based on the Ranger. Ford and VW are cooperating on this already.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Ford Maverick Chevy joining the competition? 1621365406820

If this whole Maverick thing does not work out, maybe Ford will just bring us this? I'd like the straight six, please.

Reactions: Doc

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
On the "Competition is good for the consumer" front, I just read an article that suggested the Honda Ridgeline may get a hybrid or plug in hybrid version. Given what Ford just did with the reveal of the F150 Lightening and the amazing price of the base version, I'm going to be surprised if we don't see some electrification on the Maverick from the get go and some electrification of whatever the competition for the Maverick ends up being.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the "Competition is good for the consumer" front, I just read an article that suggested the Honda Ridgeline may get a hybrid or plug in hybrid version. Given what Ford just did with the reveal of the F150 Lightening and the amazing price of the base version, I'm going to be surprised if we don't see some electrification on the Maverick from the get go and some electrification of whatever the competition for the Maverick ends up being.
I'd like to see that but wonder that since the Maverick could be seen as an entry-level, budget truck they may not put cutting-edge technology in something like that. If they do you can bet it will be closer to the $30k mark than the $20k range we were hoping for. I hope I'm wrong. 😊
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc