First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So for the Maverick 2l eco boost, do I need a vented or unvented can for everyday normal driving???????
Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's a great pic, shows exactly why you want a catch can. Also shows that it's impossible to hydrolock an engine. Thanks for posting it.

Iced coffee with dunking cookies...

Ford Maverick Buschur's Maverick 2.0 oil separators DONE! ii

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been following this and other catch can threads. I am confused as I am sure others are. Does a Maverick 2l eco boost run more optimally on a vented or unvented can for everyday normal driving and some soft off-road? If the answer is vented, why is a business on this forum defending an unventilated can? We all know there are other market options. Cheaper options. But I like to US made by a US company. And I will pay MORE for it. I just need that warm fuzzy feeling that I am getting what I paid for.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been following this and other catch can threads. I am confused as I am sure others are. Does a Maverick 2l eco boost run more optimally on a vented or unvented can for everyday normal driving and some soft off-road? If the answer is vented, why is a business on this forum defending an unventilated can? We all know there are other market options. Cheaper options. But I like to US made by a US company. And I will pay MORE for it. I just need that warm fuzzy feeling that I am getting what I paid for.
My understanding is vented > not vented > no can. I believe David said they’re working on getting a vented product to market soon.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So for the Maverick 2l eco boost, do I need a vented or unvented can for everyday normal driving???????
Either work well, vented you can completely eliminate the return line back to the engine, so it 100% eliminates anything re-entering the intake tract.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are reasons for both cans. The job of both is to collect any unwanted vapors/oil/moisture from re-entering the intake tract. The absolute #1 reason for this is to eliminate the build up of oil in the intercooler. The intercooler on most factory vehicles, hell all of them actually, is sub par. Just a thin layer of oil in an intercooler will kill the efficiency of it, we've done test after test of this.

So the un-vented can, like we are offering, has a baffle inside so the incoming mess hits this baffle and is forced to the bottom of the can, there is stainless steel mesh packing/filter inside that the oil/water clings to and stays in the can and then the cleaned vapor is sucked back into the intake tract. This is a closed system, like the factory/EPA need it to be. So anyone having visual checks this will pass, no issues, actually goes unnoticed.

A vented can, the way we build them there is no re-circulation. The vent is there to eliminate crank case pressure and it has to be large enough to do so. All the crap is caught in the can and stays there, the return to the intake track is eliminated. We have a can like this coming soon, it requires some parts to be CNC'd to do it correctly. The prototype part is being machined for test fitment, then it will go fast from there.

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are reasons for both cans. The job of both is to collect any unwanted vapors/oil/moisture from re-entering the intake tract. The absolute #1 reason for this is to eliminate the build up of oil in the intercooler. The intercooler on most factory vehicles, hell all of them actually, is sub par. Just a thin layer of oil in an intercooler will kill the efficiency of it, we've done test after test of this.

So the un-vented can, like we are offering, has a baffle inside so the incoming mess hits this baffle and is forced to the bottom of the can, there is stainless steel mesh packing/filter inside that the oil/water clings to and stays in the can and then the cleaned vapor is sucked back into the intake tract. This is a closed system, like the factory/EPA need it to be. So anyone having visual checks this will pass, no issues, actually goes unnoticed.

A vented can, the way we build them there is no re-circulation. The vent is there to eliminate crank case pressure and it has to be large enough to do so. All the crap is caught in the can and stays there, the return to the intake track is eliminated. We have a can like this coming soon, it requires some parts to be CNC'd to do it correctly. The prototype part is being machined for test fitment, then it will go fast from there.
Thank you for that explanation! I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. I will be buying your can soon.

One other question; there was mention of the condensed vapor freezing. I'm in NE PA. Not sure if it can freeze given it's mixed with oil.

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any chance you can post a pic of what the inside of the can looks like before the top is welded in place?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for that explanation! I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. I will be buying your can soon.

One other question; there was mention of the condensed vapor freezing. I'm in NE PA. Not sure if it can freeze given it's mixed with oil.
The can is in the engine bay so with any miles put on the vehicle it should melt to be drained regardless. Also as I explained any people with common sense can see, even if it was 100% full the worst case is the truck then functions like it did stock and just draws all those vapors directly back into the intake, that BS of hydro locking an engine is retarded.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any chance you can post a pic of what the inside of the can looks like before the top is welded in place?
No, I'm not doing that. I see no sense in providing anyone with the "blueprints" on how to copy another one of our products.

Sponsored

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, I'm not doing that. I see no sense in providing anyone with the "blueprints" on how to copy another one of our products.
Just curious if its baffled.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
I think you have to ask yourself one question with this device—If it’s purely beneficial why wouldn’t the manufacture not install one? There has to be a reason?
They do, on GT-350's and GT-500's ..

It's about cost and emissions on mass productions vehicles.

You can argue the science and need all you want. It's fact, if it's not in a catch can, it's in the intake tract and shitting up your throttle body and intake. That can lower octane and cause drive ability issues. It is 10x more so on a forced induction vehicle.

mavhopefull

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oil separators are done! The way the factory system sucks unfiltered oil/vapors directly from the valve cover and into the intake tract. This is HORRIBLE. I expected a PCV in line, there is nothing. So the key is to simply keep this oil out of the intake and even more importantly the intercooler. This can does that.

The pictured can is in raw aluminum, the production models will all be powder coated in wrinkle black. We will start welding those cans up tomorrow, we should be able to ship product next week, no issue.

We are able to do these for $279!
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg

Q&A:

Sure. I'll try to explain the system. I'll try to type this out to make it make sense.

The crankshaft is spinning in the engine splashing oil around, same goes for the camshafts. The combustion process causes a lot of cylinder pressure, some of that sneaks past the rings and into the block. The cylinder heads have holes that drain the oil back to the oil pan, those same holes allow that combustion gas that ends up in the crank case to make it into the cylinder head area. So you end up with all these spent combustion gasses and oil inside your engine. The valve cover has a vent on it that, in this case, goes directly to the air intake tube. That tube is always under vacuum sucking those vapors and oil out of the valve cover and into the intake. Those gases and oil is then sucked into the turbo, compressed and travels through the intercooler pipes, intercooler and then back into the intake manifold, cylinder head/valves re-burnt and the processes goes on and on.

Over time, and in many cases not a lot of time, that oil/vapor builds up on the valves/pistons and combustion chamber. It also lowers octane values and the worst part is the oil coats the inside of the intercooler and keeps building up inside of it. We have dumped a solid 1/2 quart of oil out of intercoolers in the past.

The oil separator is put into this system and catches that oil and separates it by a filtering media that is in the can. You occasionally drain it and it keeps the largest majority of the oil in the can, that is the closed system you see here.

A vented can has a filter on the top of it and is not recirculated (I should say should not be). The valve cover vent goes to the can, the crankcase vents directly to the can and catches 100% of the oil and vapors and the intake tract where it use to re-circulate to is eliminated.

The system on the Maverick is good for performance but horrible for contaminating the intake tract. The performance side is good because it directly vents the crankcase pressure but it does so with no way to filter out the contaminates. So what you gain in a drop in crankcase pressure will soon be cancelled by an intercooler full of oil. Even a thin film of oil inside an intercooler drastically drops its efficiency.

Hope this helps.
I'll wait for the vented can. Let us know when ready to order. In Florida we don't have any emissions inspections.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.