Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty sure you guys are the ones not understanding the math here, diameter matters. Doesn’t matter if it’s 3mm or 50mm. Nothing like posting 2d images trying to solve a 3d problem 🤪
More importantly we can discard math, theory and graphics and use REAL LIFE RESULTS. Another member and I have both reported the Maverick lugs bottom out and damage the Bronco sport rims. Pics have been provided. A third member attempted to prove us wrong and posted his own pics……THEY CLEARLY SHOWED DAMAGE TO THE RIM.
You have absolutely zero idea what you re talking about and something as simple as a lug nut is clearly beyond your comprehension. I posted pics here of my Bronco Sport First Edition wheels used with the stock Maverick lug nuts. There is absolutely zero damage, zero 'bottoming out" (whatever that means) and both the wheels and lug nuts work perfectly together on my Maverick. I have them, I run them, you do not.

The 60* taper of the lug nuts engages perfectly and have a perfect bearing wear pattern with the 60* wheel cones. If you are referring to my pics, there is no damage, that is galling which occurs when torquing a steel conical lug nut into an aluminum cone. The aluminum wheels on my Raptor, my TRX, my Viper, my Platinum Explorer, and my Pantera all have slight, similar galling wear marks because they all have aluminum wheels. I could minimize it with anti-seize, but it's not an issue.

The only place my Maverick lug nuts contact the wheel is 60* cone to 60* cone, exactly where is should be on a conical lug nut..

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You've shown photos of the steel wheel lug nuts in your comparison and the steel wheel lugs would have the same taper engagement as the chrome lugs considering they're designed for the 14mm lugs and maverick wheels and they still have a 60 degree taper. I felt like you were saying the BS wheels were dangerous to use but I don't think most people are using Maverick lug nuts anyway considering 99% of owners doing this have an XL and did not want to use the open style lug nuts that secure the steel wheels on. I just want people to know that there are no issues with BS wheels and the individual who damaged his wheels could have done any number of things wrong to include not actually using Maverick lug nuts considering he is the only one who saw damage to his wheels.
(y)

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP

Chris70

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ECO XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have absolutely zero idea what you re talking about and something as simple as a lug nut is clearly beyond your comprehension. I posted pics here of my Bronco Sport First Edition wheels used with the stock Maverick lug nuts. There is absolutely zero damage, zero 'bottoming out" (whatever that means) and both the wheels and lug nuts work perfectly together on my Maverick. I have them, I run them, you do not.

The 60* taper of the lug nuts engages perfectly and have a perfect bearing wear pattern with the 60* wheel cones. If you are referring to my pics, there is no damage, that is galling which occurs when torquing a steel conical lug nut into an aluminum cone. The aluminum wheels on my Raptor, my TRX, my Viper, my Platinum Explorer, and my Pantera all have slight, similar galling wear marks because they all have aluminum wheels. I could minimize it with anti-seize, but it's not an issue.

The only place my Maverick lug nuts contact the wheel is 60* cone to 60* cone, exactly where is should be on a conical lug nut..

Maybe it’s just the angle of this pic or the lighting/flash but it appeared like oblong damage to me. Looking again you are probably right. I’m sure you can see what I was thinking, it isn’t exactly the best pic

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? 9B90B59D-91A3-498B-B4E3-5538A0A83B2E

OP
OP

Chris70

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ECO XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You've shown photos of the steel wheel lug nuts in your comparison and the steel wheel lugs would have the same taper engagement as the chrome lugs considering they're designed for the 14mm lugs and maverick wheels and they still have a 60 degree taper. I felt like you were saying the BS wheels were dangerous to use but I don't think most people are using Maverick lug nuts anyway considering 99% of owners doing this have an XL and did not want to use the open style lug nuts that secure the steel wheels on. I just want people to know that there are no issues with BS wheels and the individual who damaged his wheels could have done any number of things wrong to include not actually using Maverick lug nuts considering he is the only one who saw damage to his wheels.
I have already returned the chrome oem Maverick lugs. Only used the oem steel wheel lugs for a comparison pic. That was probably confusing.
I also don’t think Bronco sport wheels are inherently dangerous. Just that some lug nuts don’t fit them very well on the Maverick.

Sponsored

Slick-rides

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Quick question... Do you guys have at least 14mm thread engagement in the lug nut when using the Bronco Sport wheels(designed for 12mm)? I see a set available locally and would feel safe as long as part of the taper fits and there is 14mm thread engagement.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Adding my .02 cents worth. I tried about every lug in this thread and others. Only 4 would seat well in the bronco sport rim. The others would go from side to side not seating firmly and felling snug. The one’s using those lugs I’ve no doubt they hold the rims on, just saying when off the truck they just don’t seat well.
This test was all hand tightening for number of turns. The starting point was my dad taught me how to never strip a nut. Turn counter clockwise and push until the thread clicks into place. Lug nuts used were open OEM so I could see engaged threads, OEM, Gorilla and Dorman
Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? 668FA1A6-9B35-4D3D-8EDE-8255076082C7

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? CC4F6BF4-1DF7-4862-B434-6E45C1153747

next is how many turns the lugs turned, hand tight on the black lariat rims and bronco sport badlands carbon gray.
from the inside the rims, all thread were visibly flush with the hole to engage the nuts.
The OEM open lug was marginally less engaged by 1/4 turn, the rest were exactly the same. One turn less on the sport rim. Didn’t matter the gorilla had a smaller taper.
Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? B2481E0F-7F42-45C1-AC0B-F8E72037430D

this is how the open nut looked on each rim. Again, hand tight. Running to 148lbs tight, one thread exposed on maverick rim, 2 threads exposed on Bronco sport rim. Probably due to the smaller opening?? They were all well engaged and seated seated just fine.
Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? 14BEB8AC-2669-4154-BD1F-B2CBFA66AC7A

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? 6F7C6C4D-5654-4540-A98D-1C5194C19452

I’m keeping the oem covered for my daily use I think they look better and if an impact never is used they will last. I will put on the dormans if discount tire or ford ever lay their hands on them!
Here’s the rims I used
Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? E4C88ECA-EFB0-4B86-AF8A-340B5CA6B4AD

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? AB34F1F0-193F-4457-83FB-FFAE7247FD5B

Last edited:

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Adding my .02 cents worth. I tried about every lug in this thread and others. Only 4 would seat well in the bronco sport rim. The others would go from side to side not seating firmly and felling snug. The one’s using those lugs I’ve no doubt they hold the rims on, just saying when off the truck they just don’t seat well.
This test was all hand tightening for number of turns. The starting point was my dad taught me how to never strip a nut. Turn counter clockwise and push until the thread clicks into place. Lug nuts used were open OEM so I could see engaged threads, OEM, Gorilla and Dorman
668FA1A6-9B35-4D3D-8EDE-8255076082C7.jpeg

CC4F6BF4-1DF7-4862-B434-6E45C1153747.jpeg

next is how many turns the lugs turned, hand tight on the black lariat rims and bronco sport badlands carbon gray.
from the inside the rims, all thread were visibly flush with the hole to engage the nuts.
The OEM open lug was marginally less engaged by 1/4 turn, the rest were exactly the same. One turn less on the sport rim. Didn’t matter the gorilla had a smaller taper.
B2481E0F-7F42-45C1-AC0B-F8E72037430D.jpeg

this is how the open nut looked on each rim. Again, hand tight. Running to 148lbs tight, one thread exposed on maverick rim, 2 threads exposed on Bronco sport rim. Probably due to the smaller opening?? They were all well engaged and seated seated just fine.
14BEB8AC-2669-4154-BD1F-B2CBFA66AC7A.jpeg

6F7C6C4D-5654-4540-A98D-1C5194C19452.jpeg

I’m keeping the oem covered for my daily use I think they look better and if an impact never is used they will last. I will put on the dormans if discount tire or ford ever lay their hands on them!
Here’s the rims I used
E4C88ECA-EFB0-4B86-AF8A-340B5CA6B4AD.jpeg

AB34F1F0-193F-4457-83FB-FFAE7247FD5B.jpeg
Thanks, this is helpful. I have a new take off set of the OEM closed lugs off my Mustang, which look the same as you show. I will try those for mounting my BS wheels.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Chris70, if that is a maverick "steelie", could you measure the diameter of the lug nut holes? I keep going back to this thread, where aftermarket steelies seemed to have holes sized for 12mm studs, so trying to find a 14mm nut that would engage became a challenge.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/acorn-lugnuts-not-going-into-the-rim-very-far.22123/

HRG
The hole size is different, I am trying to measure them but my calipers are too long to fit in the wheel.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Dang you got some expensive cars

Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hole size is different, I am trying to measure them but my calipers are too long to fit in the wheel.
No problem. Now that I have mine, w/the "full size" spare, I crawled under and a 5/8" (16mm) drill bit is a loose fit in the holes. I'm guessing the BS & aftermarket steelies have a hole size smaller than that.

HRG

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No problem. Now that I have mine, w/the "full size" spare, I crawled under and a 5/8" (16mm) drill bit is a loose fit in the holes. I'm guessing the BS & aftermarket steelies have a hole size smaller than that.

HRG
Yes, I will try the drill bit trick when I get the chance but I can tell it is under 15 mm. There was a post saying it is 14.7 mm and that looks to be true.

Hkak45

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know if this GA Supply brand is any good?
They are just fine had them for over 2 years now but if you want the best gorilla or mcguard are top of the line
Sponsored