NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes it is about how deep they engage……… and one member has already posted pics of Mav lugs bottoming out and chewing up the bronco sport rims. The bottom pic clearly shows damage

2B8578EC-0FE9-47A5-A4FC-0B3E2B3117F1.jpeg
That makes absolutely zero sense. This photo would imply that the taper of either the lugnut OR the wheel changes.
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Top to bottom:

Bronco Sport First Edition wheels (same as FX4 with exception of center caps) with stock XLT lug nuts and Ford OEM lock

Space around Maverick lug nut's circumference between wheel void

Cardboard 'shim' inserted between Maverick lug nut and wheel showing no interference

Next (2) pics showing stud, space around stud and wheel lug void

Next (2) perfect contact patch on largest area of lug nut cone which locates and retains wheel.

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? M3J7VE

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? EpHY2N

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? oxjZxN

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? howT8L

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? jHxAZV

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? 0QH4A1

Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? 2y0DP2

Last edited:

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That makes absolutely zero sense. This photo would imply that the taper of either the lugnut OR the wheel changes.
Agreed, time for us to give up, I suspect those of us trying to help him are simply being trolled...

Take care (BTW although I live in Southern Md. I work in Chantilly and at Langley, daughter and family are in River Creek in Leesburg)..

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed, time for us to give up, I suspect those of us trying to help him are simply being trolled...

Take care (BTW although I live in Southern Md. I work in Chantilly and at Langley, daughter and family are in River Creek in Leesburg)..

Nice, you have an amazing collection of vehicles.

As for the wheels and lugs for OP, I've owned a number of Fords. The best thing you can do is ditch the OE lug nuts anyway which should quell your concerns. I'm using universal Gorilla M14x1.5 locking lugs which are designed for a variety of makes, models and wheels and they fit perfectly. The OEM lugs will swell due to corrosion and their 2 piece design and should be ditched anyway.

OP
OP

Chris70

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ECO XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can lead a horse to water……..

‘I give up, you guys are hopeless

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can lead a horse to water……..

‘I give up, you guys are hopeless
Look, I made some crude graphics with paint. This shows how it's impossible to see that kind of damage with the M14 lugs unless there's something odd going on with the lugnut or the taper in the wheel.

M12 lug, narrow at the bottom compared to the M14. Seats all the way for visual purposes.
Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? m12 LUG

M14 lug, same exact seat in the wheel, it will only go down into the taper as much as the taper of the wheel allows it. Pretty much common sense. This is just for representation and to prove my point, the M14 lugs may seat deeper than this in reality.
Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? m14 LUG

This reflects the damage in the photo you shared. This is the only way that kind of damage could happen. It makes zero sense.
Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? m14 LUG with weird damage

OP
OP

Chris70

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ECO XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Top to bottom:

Bronco Sport First Edition wheels (same as FX4 with exception of center caps) with stock XLT lug nuts and Ford OEM lock

Space around Maverick lug nut's circumference between wheel void

Cardboard 'shim' inserted between Maverick lug nut and wheel showing no interference

Next (2) pics showing stud, space around stud and wheel lug void

Next (2) perfect contact patch on largest area of lug nut cone which locates and retains wheel.

M3J7VE.jpg

EpHY2N.jpg

oxjZxN.jpg

howT8L.jpg

jHxAZV.jpg

0QH4A1.jpg

2y0DP2.jpg

You do realize your last 4 pics clearly show damage ? The lugs are bottoming out on the wheels and chewing them up. The lugs look half polished where they have been chewing up the rim.

OP
OP

Chris70

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ECO XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Look, I made some crude graphics with paint. This shows how it's impossible to see that kind of damage with the M14 lugs unless there's something odd going on with the lugnut or the taper in the wheel.

M12 lug, narrow at the bottom compared to the M14. Seats all the way for visual purposes.
m12 LUG.jpg

M14 lug, same exact seat in the wheel, it will only go down into the taper as much as the taper of the wheel allows it. Pretty much common sense. This is just for representation and to prove my point, the M14 lugs may seat deeper than this in reality.
m14 LUG.jpg

This reflects the damage in the photo you shared. This is the only way that kind of damage could happen. It makes zero sense.
m14 LUG with weird damage.jpg
You’re not accounting for the depth being shorter on the bronco m12 lug. The 2 lugs have different lengths/depth, diameter and hole size. The only constant is the 60 degree angle

OP
OP

Chris70

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ECO XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A 60 degree taper is a 60 degree taper. Not sure why that's so difficult to understand.
So…… a 60 degree taper on lug with a 100mm diameter is going to fit in a hole the same as something with a 60 degree taper and 50 mm diameter???
‘The only constant here is the 60 degree taper. The lugs coned area have a 3mm outside diameter difference and depth/length difference.

That 3mm matters

I’ve physically fit a oem bronco sport lug into the rim and a oem Maverick lug within the last 48 hours.
The Mav lugs absolutely don’t fit correctly and if you did the same you would agree with me.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So…… a 60 degree taper on lug with a 100mm diameter is going to fit in a hole the same as something with a 60 degree taper and 50 mm diameter???
‘The only constant here is the 60 degree taper. The lugs coned area have a 3mm outside diameter difference and depth/length difference.

That 3mm matters

I’ve physically fit a oem bronco sport lug into the rim and a oem Maverick lug within the last 48 hours.
The Mav lugs absolutely don’t fit correctly and if you did the same you would agree with me.
I made a crude drawing for you but somehow I'm not sure this will convince you either. You can see between the horizontal construction lines on the tapered area that there are sections of both lugs that are EXACTLY THE SAME dimensionally speaking EVEN WITH one being sized for an M12 lug and the other an M14 lug. So yes, a wider AND shorter lug nut with the same taper will have an area of it that is exactly the same as the longer and more narrow lug nut.

Also, your example is ridiculous, how about you use dimensions more relevant. Show me a damn 4" wide lug nut that's used on a passenger vehicle. If you're saying the Maverick lug nut is twice as wide as the bronco sport lug nut you need to get your eyes checked BUT if the 100mm lug nut was LONG enough, YES, it would probably have a tapered area that matched the 50mm lug nut, THAT'S HOW ANGLES WORK.
Ford Maverick BRONCO SPORT LUG NUTS ? Crude Lug Drawin
Sponsored

Last edited: