Sponsored

Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use.

pcbliss

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Cactus Gray XLT Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I decided to replace my F150 with a Maverick for my mountain biking vehicle. Loaded up 5 bikes on the raceface tailgate pad. Bikes fit fine in the bed and the riders had no complaints in the cab. Obviously it isn't as spacious as the F150, but it worked fine.
Ford Maverick Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use. PXL_20221112_221625319.MP

Ford Maverick Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use. PXL_20221112_221633390

To answer the OP, I absolutely love the simplicity of using a tailgate pad.
Sponsored

hdrider02

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm trying to get out on the MTB 3-4 times a week this summer. After works rides / weekend adventures. Trying to decide which kinda bike rack solution to go with. Any frequent Mountain Bikers happy with their rack choice for the Maverick? 99% of the time will be 1 bike. Full Squish 29er. I do like the tailgate pad idea, cheap and easy, but long term damage to the tailgate paint seems inevitable with that route. Guess I could have the tailgate wrapped with PPF. Living with a hitch rack on all summer could be a pain as well. Any thoughts / reviews?
Bike photo for attention:)
IMG_0419.jpeg
Identical bike to mine. Love it. Why not just put the bike in the bed using tie downs to keep it in place.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I decided to replace my F150 with a Maverick for my mountain biking vehicle. Loaded up 5 bikes on the raceface tailgate pad. Bikes fit fine in the bed and the riders had no complaints in the cab. Obviously it isn't as spacious as the F150, but it worked fine.
PXL_20221112_221625319.MP.jpg

PXL_20221112_221633390.jpg

To answer the OP, I absolutely love the simplicity of using a tailgate pad.
I thought 5 bikes would fit but the riders.. 🤔 did everyone have their helmet and gloves in their lap? 👍

pcbliss

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Cactus Gray XLT Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought 5 bikes would fit but the riders.. 🤔 did everyone have their helmet and gloves in their lap? 👍
My stuff was all under the back seat. A couple had their stuff with them in the cab and a couple in bags in the back.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick, XLT, Lux, 4K.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
a simple update on my setup involving my 1Up racks. I added a DIY rack built from t-rail extrusions and two half 1Up racks (they call them van racks) and two Rockymounts axle mounts (model is DropTop). Those two additional racks are to have a lower profile option than the complete 1Ups so the bikes stay cleaner in the winter and to provide 4 bike carrying capability.
Ford Maverick Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use. MicrosoftTeams-image (14)
Ford Maverick Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use. MicrosoftTeams-image (13)
Ford Maverick Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use. MicrosoftTeams-image (12)

Reactions: bgn

Sponsored

samesk8r

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick “Maverick” XLT hybrid Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did the Ford DIY mount, fork cleats mounted to a 2X6. It was $45 all in. It works well, but I am thinking tailgate mat. Taking the front off and on isn't a big deal, but...

Ford Maverick Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use. IMG_8006
Ford Maverick Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use. IMG_8002
Ford Maverick Bike Racks... Tailgate Pad or Hitch Rack for frequent use. IMG_8230

2020 GT500

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2023 Miata RF Club
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm trying to get out on the MTB 3-4 times a week this summer. After works rides / weekend adventures. Trying to decide which kinda bike rack solution to go with. Any frequent Mountain Bikers happy with their rack choice for the Maverick? 99% of the time will be 1 bike. Full Squish 29er. I do like the tailgate pad idea, cheap and easy, but long term damage to the tailgate paint seems inevitable with that route. Guess I could have the tailgate wrapped with PPF. Living with a hitch rack on all summer could be a pain as well. Any thoughts / reviews?
Bike photo for attention:)
IMG_0419.jpeg
Sean: I am sure that you have figured out which Way to go by now since your first post was in May. But my answer in arrears for you is to simply get a tailgate pad. It literally takes you 10 seconds to throw your bike in and strap it on in a way you go no fuss no muss very inexpensive and it comes off real easy when you don’t need it..

Last edited:

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did the Ford DIY mount, fork cleats mounted to a 2X6. It was $45 all in. It works well, but I am thinking tailgate mat. Taking the front off and on isn't a big deal, but...

IMG_8006.jpeg
IMG_8002.jpeg
IMG_8230.jpeg
I would definitely switch to a tailgate pad. There's no security in what you have, and removing the front wheel and reinstalling is a nuisance. but the biggest issue by far is the tailgate down with what appears to be little to no load on it. I wouldn't want the tailgate to bounce around and you lose your backup camera. With a tailgate pad if you only have 2 bikes you can position them on the 1st & last positions and point the wheels out so you have a nearly-normal rear view.

Last edited:

2020 GT500

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2023 Miata RF Club
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would definitely switch to a tailgait pad. There's no security in what you have, and removing the front wheel and reinstalling is a nuisance. but the biggest issue by far is the tailgate down with what appears to be little to no load on it. I wouldn't want the tailgate to bounce around and you lose your backup camera. With a tailgate pad if you only have 2 bikes you can position them on the 1st & last positions and point the wheels out so you have a nearly-normal rear view.
And regarding the security when I throw my bike in over the tailgate that I leave up in place on my tailgate pad, I simply have a very thick padlock with a combination cable that I run through my back tire so no one bike jacks me when I stop at a light somewhere, and it provides extra security in an accident the bike doesn’t fly off

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeanBonham

SeanBonham

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sean: I am sure that you have figured out which Way to go by now since your first post was in May. But my answer in arrears for you is to simply get a tailgate pad. It literally takes you 10 seconds to throw your bike in and strap it on in a way you go no fuss no muss very expensive and it comes off real easy when you don’t need it..
Oh yeah been rockin’ a raceface pad, works perfect.

Sponsored

Stive

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Lexus RX350, Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tailgate pad would work great, but I have a hard tonneau cover for which the last section does not fold up. I ended up with a trailer hitch type.

jojo_xlt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jojo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT 2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This 1up is like 4 years old and still looks and works like new
4547A2BB-3FA5-4DE4-BB40-D1BFC1E11B71.jpeg

I also have a single 1up (new version) since I decided to go with a bedcover

I had a Raceface pad on my XLT Maverick for 6 months and did zero damage to the paint (Area 51) never got around to putting PPF on it

EA7C2DCF-9C6C-4D1D-AE00-ED836A22818E.jpeg

Both options work great for a single bike
looks like it rubs against the fork stanchion, wonder if it would scratch it over time or the padding is soft enough?

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

looks like it rubs against the fork stanchion, wonder if it would scratch it over time or the padding is soft enough?
every fork lays on all tailgate pads just like that, and I have never noticed any scratching.

that said, if conditions were perfect for an issue, it probably could happen. let's say you have mud on the stanchion after a ride and put your bikes on the pad and then drive 100 miles down a bumpy dirt road. could scratch it, yep.

normal usage, no issue. I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.
Sponsored