Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd like to hear your opinion.

Should I get a drop in, spray in, or bedrug?

I have never had a truck, so I don't know what hauling I'll be doing. The jobs that I know I want to do are haul musical equipment (drums, tubas, etc.) And camping trips with the fam.

I'm actually leaning towards bedrug because it's the most affordable and seems to be the most comfortable.

I've basically written off drop in, but maybe I shouldn't?

Spray in is the most attractive option, but at basically double the bedrug and for what I plan to do, worth it?

Thank you in advance for your opinions!
Sponsored

AndrewSKY117

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Outback Limited
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My personal reason for the spray-in is just because I'll haul some stuff here and there, throw pallets of product in the back, gravel, etc. so I wanted something tough and durable.

Some have said the drop-in is not like typical drop-ins so it could be worth looking into, especially for that side/rear wall protection.

A bed rug could totally be all you need for your case, they even have ones that are not just full-on carpet but a bit more "rugged" if you will. You may not need it though. I think a rug is a great option for what it sounds like your use is! :)

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think drop-ins are rust babies. Bedrugs can be nice, but you need a tonneau. A wet bedrug can stay damp for a day or more. They can get torn up by some items if not careful, and so aren't as durable as a spray in. They are nicer on the knees, quiet, and stuff won't slide around as easily as a spray in.

The other thing you didn't mention is a bed mat. That's all I have in the Ram, and its been great.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Kind of a bed expert- road on every family trip we ever had in the back of dads ā€˜76 Dodge Adventurer (it was unfinished, camper shellā€¦so yeah, I am no expert).
Spray in- my wife has a fire pit and I need to haul wood sometimes, best option hands down for durability
Drop in- Fords is beautiful. So much better than they have been in years past and rust means nothing to me as I have never re-sold a car. I drive them into the ground. Only problem with this option is that when we go camping all my gear will slip and slide the whole trip- annoying.
Bed mat- only did not go this way because I obsess about things. First scratch, I would be a mess for a week. That said, the 76 Dodge endured my dad until 1988 when dad sold it to me. I took the shell off and beat it all through HS. Sold it to our ranch hand in 1991ā€¦he beat it too. Still runs, no bed covering of any kind. Is it rusty? Yep. Does it matter? Nope. Still gets to the dump after 45 years

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really like the idea of a spray in liner. Spray in liner actually serves two purposes, besides the obvious protection of the bed it also puts a huge amount of pretty effective sound deadening on a lot of Sheetmetal all at once.

I know a guy who restores luxury vehicles that actually uses spray in bedliner for sound deadening in his cars. Its incredibly effective and he claims it adds less weight than the stick on products or MLV.

I think its worth ponying up for the spray in. All the aftermarket spray ins have lifetime warranties, so its not like you ever have to really worry about it again.

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will be going with spray in plus the OEM bed mat. Best of both worlds IMO. Full protection for the wheelwells, tailgate, and sides of the bed plus the comfort, durability, and no slip with the mat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really like the idea of a spray in liner. Spray in liner actually serves two purposes, besides the obvious protection of the bed it also puts a huge amount of pretty effective sound deadening on a lot of Sheetmetal all at once.

I know a guy who restores luxury vehicles that actually uses spray in bedliner for sound deadening in his cars. Its incredibly effective and he claims it adds less weight than the stick on products or MLV.

I think its worth ponying up for the spray in. All the aftermarket spray ins have lifetime warranties, so its not like you ever have to really worry about it again.
That's a great point that I hadn't considered.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
In my experience drop ins let stuff slide a lot and while they can be easily replaced, you have to replace it. They also promote rust by letting water stay places. If you have sand or salt near you then don't even think about it.

spray in costs a similar amount but it's far superior in every way imaginable except for the fact that removing it is horrible.

Last edited:

Edogg1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade desert hawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a drop in and loved it. Did everything with it from wood, stone dirt construction debrisā€¦.you name it. Never a problem with the liner except it is extremely slippery. Itā€™s like Teflon!
And as far as the rust, not a spot after 250k miles. I donā€™t know that those claiming these rust the bed arenā€™t just speculating.
I also had a spray in, also extremely durable. My 2 problems, so abrasive. If you slide a dresser in, for example, it could scratch the wood, happened a lot with stuff I put in. Ended up carrying an extra moving blanket.
Iā€™m ordering the bed rug, only one I havenā€™t had, reviews look great for my purposes.

Sponsored

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My Maverick order currently has a spray in, in addition I intend to add a trimmed stall / barn mat to lower any sliding that may happen in the truck bed.

*edit*
I removed SIBL to my order to improve delivery and now have a bedrug for truck (and so far no truck)

Last edited:

bentley72

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first vehicle when I turned 16 was an 87 Dodge Dakota that had a drop in bed liner. It never had any rust issues. My biggest issue with the drop in was how hard it was on your knees if you had to crawl up onto it. That being said, Iā€™m getting a spray in from bullet liner on the Maverick

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I had a drop in and loved it. Did everything with it from wood, stone dirt construction debrisā€¦.you name it. Never a problem with the liner except it is extremely slippery. Itā€™s like Teflon!
And as far as the rust, not a spot after 250k miles. I donā€™t know that those claiming these rust the bed arenā€™t just speculating.
I also had a spray in, also extremely durable. My 2 problems, so abrasive. If you slide a dresser in, for example, it could scratch the wood, happened a lot with stuff I put in. Ended up carrying an extra moving blanket.
Iā€™m ordering the bed rug, only one I havenā€™t had, reviews look great for my purposes.
My brother's old Dodge Ram had a teflon drop in, even standing in the back was slippery.

Edogg1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade desert hawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another advantage to a drop in, I had this:
Loadhandler Pickup Truck Unloader - Standard Mid-Size Model, 2,200-Lb. Capacity, Model Number LH2200M It slid great on the drop in, but had to get another mat to help it slide for the spray in.
I am not a fan of the bed mat for one reason, too grippy, no ability to slide items in and out without the mat moving with it, in my experience. Maybe a different brand mat would be different.
Things I like about the bed rug:
- durable
- removable and washable
- better on knees
- able to slide something in/out while having ā€œsomeā€ grip.
- cost

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick bedliner battle Royale 5270BDDE-972B-437F-B201-AEDE994FFB29
Ford Maverick bedliner battle Royale 5C6DB8FC-6ABD-4E39-9824-DED826524F65

spray in was $300 in houston. with lifetime warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited: