Sponsored

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2023
Threads
34
Messages
1,283
Reaction score
1,808
Location
-
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Much more effective if using shades, (I learned from my camper van with it's huge windows,) is an exterior cover. With the interior ones, the heat is already created and is just sandwiched between the glass and the shade to be radiated into the cab.
100% agree. Issue I had with a cover, is it trapped condensation under it and started the process of my clear coat failing (in another vehicle). This was marketed as a "breathable" cover as well.

My foil based shades do a lot of good, but being in the shade is always the best. A mesh-type car cover might be the best solution, if one existed, as long as you didn't care about scratches in your clear coat.
Sponsored

 

Cancunbadlands

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Cancun
Joined
Jul 5, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
4,923
Reaction score
5,463
Location
Cancun
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
That's a lot of heat
 

ice445

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Ryan
Joined
Jul 13, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
262
Reaction score
534
Location
Utah
Vehicle(s)
24 XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in NC, and saw 145° one day. I now put shades in all windows to reflect the sun out, although that doesn't seem to do a lot.

I try to park in shaded spots if I can. Fortunately, I garage it except for maybe 35-40 days a year.
It makes a big difference in my experience but the sun heat soak still eventually seeps in after a long enough period
 

Cherokee

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Marty
Joined
Jan 3, 2025
Threads
67
Messages
4,691
Reaction score
9,316
Location
North Carolina
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in NC, and saw 145° one day. I now put shades in all windows to reflect the sun out, although that doesn't seem to do a lot.

I try to park in shaded spots if I can. Fortunately, I garage it except for maybe 35-40 days a year.
I’m lucky, I’m very close to my Tremor at work and home weather permitting I open all my windows an inch and put in my windshield shade.
I can roll em up quickly if rain starts.
Never put a temp gage in but I can tell it’s not that hot with the windows open a bit.
 

Sponsored

Cancunbadlands

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Cancun
Joined
Jul 5, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
4,923
Reaction score
5,463
Location
Cancun
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
Funny reply, from you of all people

Last time I was in Cancun I found the heat almost unbearable, and it was March! I can't imagine what it's like living there in summer
#fact

Beauty comes with a price... I'm drinking my morning coffee as is right now

Ford Maverick Bed temperature readings from temperature sensor installed in the bed 20260928_070006
 
Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
James
Joined
Sep 24, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
8,786
Reaction score
6,453
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m lucky, I’m very close to my Tremor at work and home weather permitting I open all my windows an inch and put in my windshield shade.
I can roll em up quickly if rain starts.
Never put a temp gage in but I can tell it’s not that hot with the windows open a bit.
Put a "roll my windows down an inch with a humidity limit" gage in your Tremor. Use auxiliary battery if you suffer FODS (Fear Of Deep Sleeping).
 

Cancunbadlands

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Cancun
Joined
Jul 5, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
4,923
Reaction score
5,463
Location
Cancun
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
Put a "roll my windows down an inch with a humidity limit" gage in your Tremor. Use auxiliary battery if you suffer FODS (Fear Of Deep Sleeping).
FODS is it the new OCD?
 
Last edited:

HeyBales

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Mike
Joined
May 3, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
5,604
Reaction score
5,449
Location
KC Metro area
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota RAV4, 2024 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A few months ago I was at my friendly big box store and passed by the section with the temperature and weather instruments they have for homes. Was looking at them and got an idea. I bought their cheapest package, made by LaCrosse, which has a small display unit to show indoor and outdoor temperatures, and a battery-powered remote sensor unit for reading the outside temperature. Normally you'd keep the display in your house somewhere, and put the remote unit out in the yard. After I got home I put the external sensor in my "tool tub" (cheapo plastic container with a few basic tools) in my Mav's bed; then the display unit fit nicely in the cell phone holder in the center console.

IMG_4687.webp


The top number is the "outside" temperature, i.e. temperature in the bed. The bottom number is the "indoor" temperature, or in this case the temperature in the passenger compartment. For reference my Mav is Cactus Gray; and the bed has Line-X SIBL plus a MostPlus hard trifold cover (in black).

The information I'm getting from this has proven to be much more interesting than I initially thought it would be. During our blazing hot summer in Missouri, bed temps would usually get up to about 120 degrees or so, while the cabin was usually up to about 110-115 degrees. Now the picture above is a weird aberration; the truck was sitting at my church parking lot one afternoon, and the bed "only" got up to 109.6, while the cabin was 121.3 degrees. This past week, with the cool-down in the Midwest temps on both have been showing in the 70+ degree range.

Anyway, I'm finding this to be pretty useful and it wasn't expensive, I think maybe $30 or so for the unit if I remember right. Like all the old PSA ads used to say, don't leave your pets or kids (or adults, lol) unattended in a hot car! But also, it's made me realize how hot the bed can get, and to consider that for any stuff I put back there.
I was doing the same for awhile, temp under black cover.
But the batteries in both units kept dying way too fast, same brand as I use at the house with indoor/outdoor sensors.
Gave up.
 
Sponsored

HeyBales

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Mike
Joined
May 3, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
5,604
Reaction score
5,449
Location
KC Metro area
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota RAV4, 2024 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's actually three - UVC as well.

It's variable on manufactuer - Tesla blocks the most UV from the factory. IIRC Mercedes was also much higher. The rear factory tinted windows on the Maverick don't block any more UV than the front windows.
Bummer - I'm pretty good about being able to park with rear window facing where the majority of sun will be - if parked for awhile.
Always thought I was helping a bit.

Well, I have the covers on the back windows, usually remember to roll those windows down for cross breeze. From the times I forget, I can confirm it helps.
 

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
James
Joined
Sep 24, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
8,786
Reaction score
6,453
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bummer - I'm pretty good about being able to park with rear window facing where the majority of sun will be - if parked for awhile.
Always thought I was helping a bit.

Well, I have the covers on the back windows, usually remember to roll those windows down for cross breeze. From the times I forget, I can confirm it helps.
I have tint with 99.99% IR rejection on all windows except the windshield. I park when I choose to with the rear window towards the sun.... Seems to help even when I do not put my sunshade on the windshield!!!
 

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2023
Threads
34
Messages
1,283
Reaction score
1,808
Location
-
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have tint with 99.99% IR rejection on all windows except the windshield. I park when I choose to with the rear window towards the sun.... Seems to help even when I do not put my sunshade on the windshield!!!
I don't think there is any tint that will do 99.99% IR. Every tint is 99.99% UV (and your windshield is 99.99% by its lamination), but UV doesn't produce heat. IR is the heat that you feel, and that is normally around 50%-60% for most ceramic tints. That's why I ended up with foil backed inserts, since my car sits for 3-4 days at a time in an airport lot.

In vehicles, about half the damage of the interior is from heat and the other half UV exposure.
Sponsored

 
 







Top