Sponsored

BradH

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Brad
Joined
Nov 25, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
89
Reaction score
245
Location
St. Louis, MO
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A few months ago I was at my friendly big box store and passed by the section with the temperature and weather instruments they have for homes. Was looking at them and got an idea. I bought their cheapest package, made by LaCrosse, which has a small display unit to show indoor and outdoor temperatures, and a battery-powered remote sensor unit for reading the outside temperature. Normally you'd keep the display in your house somewhere, and put the remote unit out in the yard. After I got home I put the external sensor in my "tool tub" (cheapo plastic container with a few basic tools) in my Mav's bed; then the display unit fit nicely in the cell phone holder in the center console.

Ford Maverick Bed temperature readings from temperature sensor installed in the bed IMG_4687


The top number is the "outside" temperature, i.e. temperature in the bed. The bottom number is the "indoor" temperature, or in this case the temperature in the passenger compartment. For reference my Mav is Cactus Gray; and the bed has Line-X SIBL plus a MostPlus hard trifold cover (in black).

The information I'm getting from this has proven to be much more interesting than I initially thought it would be. During our blazing hot summer in Missouri, bed temps would usually get up to about 120 degrees or so, while the cabin was usually up to about 110-115 degrees. Now the picture above is a weird aberration; the truck was sitting at my church parking lot one afternoon, and the bed "only" got up to 109.6, while the cabin was 121.3 degrees. This past week, with the cool-down in the Midwest temps on both have been showing in the 70+ degree range.

Anyway, I'm finding this to be pretty useful and it wasn't expensive, I think maybe $30 or so for the unit if I remember right. Like all the old PSA ads used to say, don't leave your pets or kids (or adults, lol) unattended in a hot car! But also, it's made me realize how hot the bed can get, and to consider that for any stuff I put back there.
Sponsored

 

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2023
Threads
34
Messages
1,287
Reaction score
1,815
Location
-
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in NC, and saw 145° one day. I now put shades in all windows to reflect the sun out, although that doesn't seem to do a lot.

I try to park in shaded spots if I can. Fortunately, I garage it except for maybe 35-40 days a year.
 

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
James
Joined
Sep 24, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
8,788
Reaction score
6,460
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in NC, and saw 145° one day. I now put shades in all windows to reflect the sun out, although that doesn't seem to do a lot.

I try to park in shaded spots if I can. Fortunately, I garage it except for maybe 35-40 days a year.
To lower temp inside cabin you need window tint with 99+% IR(Infra Red) block. (You can buy less than 5% visual blockage with 90+%UV and 99+%IR blockages)!!!
 

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2023
Threads
34
Messages
1,287
Reaction score
1,815
Location
-
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To lower temp inside cabin you need window tint with 99+% IR(Infra Red) block. (You can buy less than 5% visual blockage with 90+%UV and 99+%IR blockages)!!!
I use foil backed shades that block 100% of all light and IR. Basically hermetically sealed from light lol.

Custom Fit Car Side Window Sunshade for Ford Maverick - Set of 4 Front and Rear Sun Shades, Reflective UV Heat Shield, Real Aluminum Foil

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Reflective-Sunshade-Compatible-Maverick/dp/B0C8VCS2VC/


Fun fact all tint regardless of % is 99.99% UV. Almost any plastic is.
 

Mavster Mechanic

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
David
Joined
Jul 29, 2025
Threads
33
Messages
2,585
Reaction score
4,566
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would think in most scenarios the inside of cabin would be hotter.
Greenhouse effect and all.
 

Mavster Mechanic

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
David
Joined
Jul 29, 2025
Threads
33
Messages
2,585
Reaction score
4,566
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fun fact all tint regardless of % is 99.99% UV. Almost any plastic is.
As is factory glass.

Edit: factory glass blocks nearly 100% of UVB and 75% to 85% of UVA.

Just remember UVB causes "Burns".

So advertised "UV" blockers, at best, block that last few % .

Drive all day, 7 days a week.
You won't get a sun burn.
(With windows up of course.)

But I guess UVA could over time
Be harmful.
 
Last edited:

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2023
Threads
34
Messages
1,287
Reaction score
1,815
Location
-
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As is factory glass.

So advertised "UV" blockers, at best, block that last 1% that was basically harmless in the first place.

Drive all day, 7 days a week.
You won't get a sun burn.
(With windows up of course.)
Factory glass actually isn't 99%. The windshield is because it's laminated. The windows are around 85%. Yes I own a UV meter.
 
Sponsored

Mavster Mechanic

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
David
Joined
Jul 29, 2025
Threads
33
Messages
2,585
Reaction score
4,566
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well we were both right.

All window glass blocks UV-B rays.
Side windows block about 75% of UV-A rays.

Keep forgetting there are two kinds.
 

MaverickDragon

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Nov 9, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,750
Reaction score
3,119
Location
Grand Canyon, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2025 Maverick XL Hybrid AWD 4K Tow Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It might be interesting to see what the differences are for different bed cover types e.g. metal vs. vinyl vs. fiberglass polymer types.
 

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2023
Threads
34
Messages
1,287
Reaction score
1,815
Location
-
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well we were both right.

All window glass blocks UV-B rays.
Side windows block about 75% of UV-A rays.

Keep forgetting there are two kinds.
There's actually three - UVC as well.

It's variable on manufactuer - Tesla blocks the most UV from the factory. IIRC Mercedes was also much higher. The rear factory tinted windows on the Maverick don't block any more UV than the front windows.
 

ScottDT1

2.5L Hybrid
Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
11
Reaction score
14
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use foil backed shades that block 100% of all light and IR. Basically hermetically sealed from light lol.

Custom Fit Car Side Window Sunshade for Ford Maverick - Set of 4 Front and Rear Sun Shades, Reflective UV Heat Shield, Real Aluminum Foil
https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Reflective-Sunshade-Compatible-Maverick/dp/B0C8VCS2VC/


Fun fact all tint regardless of % is 99.99% UV. Almost any plastic is.
Much more effective if using shades, (I learned from my camper van with it's huge windows,) is an exterior cover. With the interior ones, the heat is already created and is just sandwiched between the glass and the shade to be radiated into the cab.
Sponsored

 
 







Top