First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well for us that need to make our mods on a budget, here is what I've dune this week, the bed mat is lock together foam matting from Lowe's, under 25 bucks for six pieces, cuts to fit with a good blade or saw easily ,cleans up good and easy on the knees. The back flip midgate is wood I had in my garage/ shop ,works well to keep groceries in place or flips over next to the tale gate to have more room in the bed, the height is on the same plane as the top of the fender ,allowing it to take some weight off the tale gate when hauling plywood or lumber

Ford Maverick Bed mat and backflip midgate on a budget - my custom DIY solution 🪚 20230120_142722

Ford Maverick Bed mat and backflip midgate on a budget - my custom DIY solution 🪚 20230120_142909

Ford Maverick Bed mat and backflip midgate on a budget - my custom DIY solution 🪚 20230120_142909a
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice, I like how you can change the placement for different cargo needs!!! So do you have plans for any tailgate protection? Maybe velcro the bed material to tailgate or something?

OP
OP

Haroldb007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did use velcro at the rear to keep the matting from lifting when the cover was folded foward,but I did not have anything on my previous full size gmc ,and it was not in bad shape after 10 years,so I'm going to see how this goes, however it is a good idea

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well for us that need to make our mods on a budget, here is what I've dune this week, [...]
Really like this design. Still have the measurements handy? Are those 45/135 degree angles at the join?

OP
OP

Haroldb007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My back flip ended up being 52 inches wide 6.5 inches tall using a split 2/ 4( actual measurement when ripped is 1 .5× 1.75 )depends on what you use for an upright, it needs to end up being pretty close,. because the rack when bolted to the up right is what's holding the upright in the bed side hollowed area for a devider. Once you put the rack together, the only measurement that can change is the thickness of the upright. Hope this helps

Sponsored

OP
OP

Haroldb007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok ,all the joints are on 45 degrees, and choose a hard wood to make your gussets if you can find it, I used Maplewood to keep all those joints ridged

OP
OP

Haroldb007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks,it was a fun project

kkreit01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick, '17 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very well done. I was thinking of doing something like this -- only turn it into a bed extender. It should work for the 1-2 times per year I'd need it.

D.Pears

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Ram 1500/Maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well for us that need to make our mods on a budget, here is what I've dune this week, the bed mat is lock together foam matting from Lowe's, under 25 bucks for six pieces, cuts to fit with a good blade or saw easily ,cleans up good and easy on the knees. The back flip midgate is wood I had in my garage/ shop ,works well to keep groceries in place or flips over next to the tale gate to have more room in the bed, the height is on the same plane as the top of the fender ,allowing it to take some weight off the tale gate when hauling plywood or lumber

20230120_142722.jpg

20230120_142909.jpg

20230120_142909a.jpg
What a great idea!

Down the road, will you update us with how the foam padding holds up.

Thank you.

Sponsored

Ron43

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick AWD ,XLT , FX4, Luxury package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great set up been trying to think of something, shit always ends up in the front of the bed drives me crazy.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice I may consider that mat solution.

I been planning to buy a horse and cattle mat from Tractor supply. $50 for a thick 3/4" 4'x6' rubber mat. Only con is it weighs 94 pounds maybe 60 pounds after cutting to fit, but if it can hold up to horses and cattle in their stalls, then it will be tough enough for truck use. Also might be tougher to cut to size. It wont fly out thats for sure. I think I seen someone here mention buying it before.

Ford Maverick Bed mat and backflip midgate on a budget - my custom DIY solution 🪚 Screenshot_20230121-191741_Chrome

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use the foam matting from Lowe's in my basement and it does not absorb water, easy to take out and just use a garden hose to keep it clean, but it will puncture pretty easily with sharp edges like lumber or a tool box...but cheap enough and easy to replace. Water will definitely seep through the joints. That it pulls apart like a puzzle to replace is a big plus...so glue would take away that advantage...BUT I can see it blowing out of the truck bed if a tonneau cover is not closed. I have the Tractor Supply mat for my trailer, but it would be a bitch to cut for fitting in a Maverick bed.

After all the effort, a Linx SIBL with all the permanent advantages of waterproof, indestructible is hard to beat for $500..., not anything to sneeze at, but that would probably increase the resale value of a truck.

Last edited:

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

20230120_142722.jpg

20230120_142909.jpg

20230120_142909a.jpg
That looks amazing. Great work.

Teachu

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick xl
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

20230120_142722.jpg

20230120_142909.jpg

20230120_142909a.jpg
I found the lock together mats at harbor freight $9.99 for four.
Easy to cut using superglue to join the puzzle edges together takes a lot of super glue but it’s cheap at dollar tree
Sponsored