First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's a huge gap that light passes through where my entire truck is supposed to be.
That's your garage door, this is normal, at least for several months for many of us.
Sponsored

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are all that way, for drainage
You are correct. I just looked at a new Maverick on the dealer lot with no bed liner. Those areas are to drain dirt and water from those seams, I didn't notice them the other 4 times I looked at the truck.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This should help:

at 3:27 min in the video where Ford is building a Maverick you will see the gap in the 2 panels -
it appears they don't fill that with calk. Don't know why but it seems normal production design element.

Ford Production video - gap.PNG
I like it saves me from having to drill drainage holes to get rid of water in front of bed after rain when rear springs are not compressed enough to slope bed to rear of truck. If this drainage was sealed up we would endlessly be harping about lack of draining!

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was unloading my gold clubs from the back of my Maverick and noticed light coming through from the underside of bed between bed and floor of bed. This can not be a good thing as it looks like the bedside and floor are not connected. The other side looks fine. I am heading to the dealer to see what they have to say. I am very unhappy about this because I love the truck and now I have concerns

20211115_134357.jpg

20211115_134426.jpg

20211115_134522.jpg

20211115_134532.jpg

20211115_134630.jpg

20211115_134640.jpg
Can you say warranty, I'd be making an appointment with my dealer to have them inspect It does not look like it should be that many Maybe 1 or 2 up by the cab for drainage but that doesn't look right

Sponsored

Headdead

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster S
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So the dealer I bought my Maverick from had no idea if it was normal or not. They had my take it to another dealer with a body shop and they are waiting for repair guidelines to determine if there should be seam sealer there or not. They were a little surprised that the spray in liner didn’t fill in the gap. They documented everything and will get back in touch once they get the repair guidelines.
So after this I made a call to Ford customer service and told them the issue. They had me send in photos and also documented the issue.
I have been been able to find a Maverick with a Spray in liner To look at and see if it’s seam sealer or not. Once I get a update from dealer or Ford I will post
Did you ever get a straight answer on the gap/missing welds/sealer?

OP
OP
Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Cactus Grey, Jeep Wrangler Mango
Did you ever get a straight answer on the gap/missing welds/sealer?
No I spoke to the Bodyshop manager today and he is still trying to find a answer. I did see a XL with no bed liner that had sealer there. Told Bodyshop manager if he didn’t have a answer By week end I will be calling Ford myself.

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No I spoke to the Bodyshop manager today and he is still trying to find a answer. I did see a XL with no bed liner that had sealer there. Told Bodyshop manager if he didn’t have a answer By week end I will be calling Ford myself.
The Maverick I looked at had no bed liner and no sealer in those seams. It looks to me like the bed is manufactured that way, the wide areas are for large dirt particles and water to exit that seam. There are round holes in the front of the bed for drainage also. The floor of the Maverick bed is different than the floor of a Ranger bed that doesn't have that type of bed panel and drain holes.

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wondering if caulking/sealing the gap could have any effect on or void the warranty?
I don't see where it would cause any problems with warranty, you are not disturbing the paint, corrosion protection or sheet metal. It would just force all the water that gets in the bed to drain out the front drain holes or out the tailgate. If you go that route be sure to use a good sealer and lay down a good thick bead to bridge the gap.

Sponsored

GenerallySlic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TeamLinkins.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the dealer I bought my Maverick from had no idea if it was normal or not. They had my take it to another dealer with a body shop and they are waiting for repair guidelines to determine if there should be seam sealer there or not. They were a little surprised that the spray in liner didn’t fill in the gap. They documented everything and will get back in touch once they get the repair guidelines.
So after this I made a call to Ford customer service and told them the issue. They had me send in photos and also documented the issue.
I have been been able to find a Maverick with a Spray in liner To look at and see if it’s seam sealer or not. Once I get a update from dealer or Ford I will post
Any update

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just looked at a new 2022 Maverick with a factory spray on bed liner. The wide drain holes at the wheel well panels are no longer there. The factory spray liner coats down in the seam but does not completely fill it in as a bead of sealer would. Ford must have made a change in the metal stamping dies on later builds. The small round front drain holes are still being used.

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Install a tonneau cover, drive 5 miles down a dry gravel road and tell me it this gap needs to be sealed or not

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yea, with those holes so close to the wheels I'm sure you will get a ton of dust inside the bed. We don't have roads like that close by here.

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The inner structures are spot welded and that can sometimes deform the metals on either side of the weld. They then apply a caulk rope or bead which gets covered in paint. What you see is a separation caused by the expansion and contraction of the metal as well as flex when in use. Is it good? No, but can it be expected? Yes, and as such the SIBL helps camouflage the issue but a reapplication of any kind of clear sealant can do likewise and should be done at the cost of the warranty. Frankly for $5.00 I'd buy my own tube of silicon and squirt it in the gaps and hard enough so that the sealant comes out the other side of the opening (like a zerk fitting) and then smear it smooth on the underside as well.
Sponsored