First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Accord, 70 Mustang Convertible
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hoping some one can provide some answers. I recall seeing a topic about he auto start stop feature somewhere but could not find it.

I have had my eco Mav for couple of months and so far I love it.

However the auto stop/start seems to have a mind of its own. Somedays it is working and others it is not. Not sure why it does not on a consistent basis? Maybe it is not supposed to. Thought it could be weather related butI have seen no correlation.

if anybody has the explanation that would be great. Or do I need to have the dealer look at it?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jamesjohnson1390

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Chevrolet Spark, Ford Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have my Mav yet but my current vehicle, a '17 Focus, has auto start/stop and it's always operated the same way. It could be 70 degrees and it won't work or it could be 25 degrees and it'll operate fine. That being said, here's a guide that Ford published that may give you an idea as to why it's not working:
  • The battery state of charge is adequate. This typically requires the battery to at a state of charge of 75 percent or greater. An inadequate battery state of charge is one of the more common reasons for the Ford Escape stop start system to not work. Frequent short driving trips that do not allow the battery to charge being a issue. Leaving the battery hooked up to a charger overnight may help.
  • The battery temperature is too hot or too cold. Auto stop will typically be inhibited if the battery temperature falls below -5°C or above 60°C.
  • The engine coolant is at operating temperature. If the coolant temperature is too cold at around 10°C or gets too hot above 100°C, the stop start system will not work.
  • The brake vacuum is sufficient. Brake vacuum or brake booster is a system that helps to reduce the level of force required by the driver to press the brake pedal.
  • The vehicle interior has been cooled or warmed to an acceptable level. If the current interior temperature deviates too much from the set temperature on the heating / cooling system, auto stop will not operate.
  • Auto stop will not activate if the front windshield defroster is on.
  • The vehicle exceeds an initial speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) after the vehicle has been initially started.
  • The vehicle has come to a standstill.
  • Your foot is on the brake pedal.
  • The transmission is in drive (D).
  • The driver’s door and/or the liftgate is shut. Faulty liftgate / door shut sensors are known to cause issues.
  • The vehicle is not on a steep road grade. This is typically at a grade of around 9 degrees or more.
  • The steering wheel is not being turned.
  • Elevation is below approximately 10,000 ft (3,048 m).
  • Ambient temperature is moderate. Typically engine start stop will not operate if the external temperature is below -5°C or above 35°C.
  • The diesel particulate filter (DPF) is being cleaned (if applicable).

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hoping some one can provide some answers. I recall seeing a topic about he auto start stop feature somewhere but could not find it.

However the auto stop/start seems to have a mind of its own. Somedays it is working and others it is not. Not sure why it does not on a consistent basis? Maybe it is not supposed to. Thought it could be weather related butI have seen no correlation.

if anybody has the explanation that would be great. Or do I need to have the dealer look at it?

Thanks!
Are you setting it up via an app on your phone or through the center console? If the phone, maybe there is a bad wireless connection? Good luck.

Tulros

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tulros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lux Lariat, AWD, 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine doesn't activate when I have the heater on and the engine/coolant is not 100% up to temp

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Are you setting it up via an app on your phone or through the center console? If the phone, maybe there is a bad wireless connection? Good luck.
You can set up auto start/stop through the phone?

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You can set up auto start/stop through the phone?
Nope. That person is referring to scheduled starts. So if you leave the house at 7 am, you can set it to start your car at 6:50 am so it warms up a bit.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Besides the engine being too cold and it is too cold in the cab, I have discovered one more thing that interferes with the operation of the stop/start feature. If I only lightly depress the brake pedal (and the car is not moving to form a complete stop), the auto stop/start feature will not work. When I depress the brake pedal more (if I am only lightly depressing the brake pedal), then my Mav goes into the stop mode.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love that feature! I just look for the green circled A and take my foot off the brake.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks!
There's a plug on the negative side of the battery you unplug it and it will disable the start stop mode

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The auto stop (AS) on my 2016 F-150 and my 2019 Ranger also seemed to activate intermittently. Dealer was never able to get the F-150's AS feature to work right. On the Ranger, after 2 months of the AS simply not working at all, the dealer put in a new battery, and the AS worked fine. Although it's not an official Ford recommendation, the tech at the dealer suggested that I use a battery charger every once in a while. So I bought one of those more convenient battery chargers that charge via the cigarette lighter. Using that, I never had another issue with the AS again.

You just need to understand and/or do all the things that are listed in what jamesjohnson1390 posted earlier in this thread. Most importantly, the engine and cabin need to be fully warmed up, foot needs to be securely on the brake after coming to full stop, your seatbelt needs to be engaged, and the steering wheel needs to be straight.

Sponsored

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks!

So its required to press the button each tie the vehicle engine has been turned off?

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a fan of the start stop. In heavy stop & go traffic today I set the distance to one car length and it did a fantastic job for the 10 minute slowdown. If you stop too long have the hit resume. ACC worked well also on the trip. Traffic varied between 70 and 0. Once we were moving faster I changed to two car lengths. The three and four just &!$* off the cars following.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's a plug on the negative side of the battery you unplug it and it will disable the start stop mode
Is that for real that easy? Can anybody verify, and post a pic of which wire needs to be disconnected. If so, I am not going to buy the auto start stop eliminator if all I have to do is disconnect 1 wire.
Sponsored