First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't do a lot of driving at night but, I did last night and my mind went to the Maverick of course. I believe my XLT comes with auto high beams. How does that work exactly? Do they go off at a certain distance from an oncoming vehicle? Do they go on after a certain interval in the dark where no other lights are present?
Sponsored

BeachBum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Area 51 AWD Maverick XLT w/ Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't do a lot of driving at night but, I did last night and my mind went to the Maverick of course. I believe my XLT comes with auto high beams. How does that work exactly? Do they go off at a certain distance from an oncoming vehicle? Do they go on after a certain interval in the dark where no other lights are present?
It's been my experience that they turn off as soon as any headlights are detected, even on a divided highway. They also detect taillights so you don't blind the driver in front of you.

There have been a few times where I've switched the headlights from auto to on because it was switching from high to low to high as it was detecting lights, but they were street lights or house lights.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I haven't driven at night much on open roads yet. The few times I did I noticed the high beams coming on when there was no one in front of me... popping off when a car was coming around the corner towards me. Worked great. There are a few patches on that road where critters like to run across. I'd rather be able to get a little warning so I can avoid them.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have my Maverick yet, but the automatic high beams in our Subaru Outback work great. The only thing I've noticed is once in a while they will dim for streetlights (no traffic nearby) but really don't need the high beams with the street lights illuminating the area anyway.

OP
OP
Meintc

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you. I'm assuming it can be turned off? Or if you have headlights on auto then the auto high beam is engaged regardless. I have my escape on auto headlights, but I don't have auto high beam.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All Mavericks have automatic high beams.

The windscreen mounted camera looks for headlights and taillights of vehicles and selects either low or high beam as appropriate.

NOTE: Most state laws allow high beams to be used up until an approaching car within 500 feet of you. Also, they allow high beams to be used if you're following a car as long as you're 300 feet or more behind them. I've had about a dozen cars with automatic high beam and the systems have all been able to see well beyond these limits and have acted accordingly. But sometimes they will stay on a bit longer than you might like. I suggest you learn to get comfortable with it instead of fidgeting with turning them auto/manual and stuff back and forth.

Mllombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
Undecided
I had never owned a car with auto high beams before and I like it. All mavericks have the auto high beams.
I don’t know where the sensor is but when there is no oncoming traffic or streetlights the high beams come on. If a car with it’s lights on is coming toward you they revert to low beams. If there is street lighting or businesses have lighting etc the high beams stay off.
I’ve never yet found them to be on when inappropriate and often they turn on when I wouldn’t have but probably should have.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you. I'm assuming it can be turned off? Or if you have headlights on auto then the auto high beam is engaged regardless. I have my escape on auto headlights, but I don't have auto high beam.
From the look of the switch, your choice is auto (with auto highbeam) or manual ON, which would mean the lights run all the time. This is the same setup as both our Genesis and Kia.

What I don't know is if you can disable the AHB in the systems settings. The Genesis and Kia do not have that option.

oreomuffin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CaptainK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is my third car with Auto Highbeams (Outback/Mazda3). The Ford is, by far, the fastest at detecting headlights/taillights and has the lowest rate of false detection (streetlights). Also, it doesn't engage under 25mph so there isn't constant on/off through intersections.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is my third car with Auto Highbeams (Outback/Mazda3). The Ford is, by far, the fastest at detecting headlights/taillights and has the lowest rate of false detection (streetlights). Also, it doesn't engage under 25mph so there isn't constant on/off through intersections.
Was the Mazda infuriating? We had a 2014 3 and a 2018 MX-5 and they were by far the most annoying in terms of being unable to decide between high and low beam.

My favorite system was our 2016 E-class.. we paid to have the European features unlocked, so the car had adaptive beams. It would shade out cars around you while still running high beams. It was awesome.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here you go -

Ford Maverick Auto High Beams hb

Ford Maverick Auto High Beams hb-2

OP
OP
Meintc

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

oreomuffin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CaptainK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was the Mazda infuriating? We had a 2014 3 and a 2018 MX-5 and they were by far the most annoying in terms of being unable to decide between high and low beam.

My favorite system was our 2016 E-class.. we paid to have the European features unlocked, so the car had adaptive beams. It would shade out cars around you while still running high beams. It was awesome.
The Mazda is a 2020 and they must have resolved those issues because it's not bad at all but not quite the level of Ford's system.

Fun fact, with the new infrastructure bill passed, adaptive/digital matrix headlight systems are now FINALLY legal in the US.
Sponsored