Attention Ford - HUGE suggestion for Maverick ST

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forte GT, Prius Prime, Forte GT-line, Maverick awd
  • Banned
Put the correct 2nd and 3rd gear ratios in the transmission so it does not have to be programmed to do a 1-3-4 shift on hard acceleration like it does now. Skipping 2nd gear since it is geared wrong is disappointing. The current setup feels great for first two gears (1 and 3) but the massive gap to 4th gear is really a major buzzkill for performance enthusiasts. The hard pull you get in the first two gears just gets reduced to a normal commuter car feel once it hits 4th gear (45mph) since the gearing in 4 is so high. This is also seriously evident when calling for a full throttle downshift in the 40-60 mph range, you get nothing since there is not a proper gearing to take full advantage of the 2.0L turbo. I honestly feel my wife's old 2016 Kia Sedona would pull away from my Maverick in a 40mph roll at full throttle. I am so sad that her old Sedona had a more satisfying full throttle run through the gears with it's 6spd auto than my Maverick. As you know the Maverick transmission was originally designed as a 9spd but Ford decided to "make this transmission work" for the Maverick. Hopefully this could be a change considered for 2023 models. My guess is the current setup was either a major cost saving compromise or designed this way intentionally for fuel economy. I can honestly say that I am not sure I would still buy this truck if I knew the transmission was going to behave this way. I drive normal 95% of the time but on occasion I do like a nice solid 0-60 run but this transmission does not satisfy like many other vehicles I am familiar with. The excellent 2.0L turbo engine is backed by a transmission that was not designed/geared for sports car type people, I wish it was but I blame myself for not driving one before I bought it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What, the 8AT has skip shift? That's the first I've heard of this. Are you sure? 1-2-4 makes no sense......the F150 10AT is 1-3-5, and only with light throttle. I was also unaware the Mav has the gear indicator in the meter?

Can anyone else confirm this?

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Last edited:

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh heck, make the ST a BEV and eliminate the gearbox. And also humiliate Hellcats.

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Our current design has us using our 4th gear, which was originally designed as 5th gear, taking us all the way from 45 mph to 71 mph.

The current ratios and speed at 6100 rpm with 4k tow and 225/65/17
1st - 4.69 - 29 mph
2nd - 3.31 - 41 mph
3rd - 3.01 - 45 mph
4th - 1.92 - 71 mph

I would love to see what the following ratios would do for our trucks or a proper ST model
1st - 4.69 - 29 mph
2nd - 3.01 - 45 mph
3rd - 2.20 - 62 mph
4th - 1.92 - 71 mph

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If the ST doesnt have a 6spd manual it wont need the ST badge. Simple as that.

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
If the ST doesnt have a 6spd manual it wont need the ST badge. Simple as that.
Very true. I am seriously considering trying to convince my wife to let me sell her 2021 Prius Prime so I can buy a 2022 Forte GT with the 6spd. She can drive the Maverick instead.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Very true. I am seriously considering trying to convince my wife to let me sell her 2021 Prius Prime so I can buy a 2022 Forte GT with the 6spd. She can drive the Maverick instead.
Im just hoping the new "Ranchero" or whatever they are gonna have in South America comes with a 2.0 manual, as they do down there. Then I am looking at swap parts!

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Putting this post up the way you did is just begging Ford to void your drivetrain warranty for abusing the truck. You better hope nothing ever goes wrong with your transmission, I'm sure the people at Car Shield just took you off their call list.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Definitely!

(Not a thing)

:ROFLMAO:

Putting this post up the way you did is just begging Ford to void your drivetrain warranty for abusing the truck. You better hope nothing ever goes wrong with your transmission, I'm sure the people at Car Shield just took you off their call list.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
0-60 does not void your warranty. :rolleyes: I don't know how to even respond to these "special" thoughts

Well knowing that the transmission we have was actually a GM transmission that Ford "made work" makes me fear using the throttle at all. I would never buy any GM product and knowing I have a GM transmission makes me want to consider selling the truck. Hyundai and Kia make far better products from Ford but I was sold on the Ford price to power ratio. Santa Cruz is over $30,000 for the 2.5 turbo powertrain which was more than I wanted to spend.

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I never said 0-60 would void your warranty. I never said full throttle downshifts between 40-60 would void your warranty. What I was pointing out was that by posting your driving habit of stomping on the gas just to count the gear changes and over revving the engine for a downshift when a light tap of the pedal is sufficient is enough information for any good service writer to deny warranty repairs for a damaged drivetrain. I've spent over 25 years working in the automotive industry and I've seen this happen time and time again.

Why wouldn't you just trade in the Maverick for another Kia and let someone you will never know deal with the abused vehicle instead of persuading you wife to take something that could suffer premature transmission failure and leave her stranded somewhere?

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh god, you sound like the large majority of service writers who think they know everything but really have no clue how vehicles actually work. This folks is unfortunately the twisted way most service writers at dealerships think. There is no way a manufacturer can legally deny warranty for full throttle acceleration or downshifts, And I am sorry you think 6100 rpm is over revving the engine. We better let Ford know asap so that the 2023 models have 4500 rpm limiters. :)

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not flaming you here Monty, personally I would have ordered an ST if it were available simply for the sporty appearance over stock. I don't have mine yet or even gone on a test drive so your comments about the gearing may be spot on.

Launch control isn't one of the drive modes on any current Maverick, it was not designed to be an ST and driving it as such could be viewed as "driven beyond its normal design limits." How would you feel if you let a friend borrow your truck to pick up something from Lowes or Home Depot and when they returned the vehicle said this? "Your truck skipped second gear every time I stomped on the gas and full throttle downshifts between 40 and 60 were a buzzkill". I bet you'd be pissed and tell them if my transmission messes up, you're gonna pay for it.

Just saying your post could make it very easy to find yourself in this guy's shoes:

I get a call Tuesday morningā€¦the service manager (Chris) and the ā€œFord Field Service Engineerā€ have decided that my warranty claim has been DENIED. They state that ā€œTHIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN DRIVEN BEYOND ITS NORMAL DESIGN LIMITS.ā€ (I would absolutely LOVE to know what Ford defines as ā€œnormal design limitsā€.) I had just woken up and couldnā€™t fully comprehend what was happening. I was speechless, the only response I could manage at the time was ā€œSeriously?ā€. Chris said he would have one of his advisers call me with a quote for the repair. I asked Chris for the phone number for Fordā€™s Warranty Claims department, which I proceeded to call to find out how to appeal this decision. I was told: ā€œthe decision canā€™t be appealed but financial assistance can sometimes be providedā€. Iā€™m stunned that Iā€™m totally helpless in this situation.

The dealer wants $2,600 to repair the differential, which is absolutely ridiculous. I can order an entire rear end axle assembly with a differential online for ~$800. I donā€™t know about you, but I donā€™t have $2600 lying around to pay for something that shouldnā€™t cost me anything.

At this point, my only real option is to pay for this out of pocket and then sue Ford for reimbursement. However, Iā€™m not giving them a penny. Iā€™ll be ordering a new rear assembly online and having it shipped to a local shop that can swap it out.

Update 11/23: Since my VIN number was banned from any drivetrain warranty repairs at any Ford dealer, I didnā€™t have a whole lot of options. I paid out of pocket to have the vehicle towed to my local (excellent) Ford dealer and also paid out of pocket for a new rear end from newtakeoff.com, it was delivered to the local who installed it had it ready to go the same day.

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What kind of vehicle was this?
Sponsored