First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV
Engine
Undecided
The truck is on its way and estimated to arrive in two to three weeks. However, I received a rough final price from the dealer, and I noticed some questionable charges and fees that I'm unsure about. What do y'all think? Are they legit fees or markups? Any advice and dealer tips welcomed.

Ford Maverick Are these fees normal? Screenshot_20230425-123002~2
Sponsored

deej

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick 2.0 Lariat, AWD, 4K, Lux, BAP, HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The truck is on its way and estimated to arrive in two to three weeks. However, I received a rough final price from the dealer, and I noticed some questionable charges and fees that I'm unsure about. What do y'all think? Are they legit fees or markups? Any advice and dealer tips welcomed.

Screenshot_20230425-123002~2.png
Those look normal to me. My dealer had everything rolled up into a single fee that covers all of that, at $599 "Doc Fee" plus state taxes.

Dr3wman

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram
Engine
Undecided
What state are you located in? The Doc fee can likely be negotiated. The car guys at the YT channel CarEdge (formerly YAA) would tell you " If it is taxable, it is negotiable." So Doc fees, accessories etc. Anything related to the government is not.

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tax, license (assuming that's license plate registration), and title are all fees that go to the state. Doc fees are common but can vary widely. Not sure about the last 3. Post what state you're buying from and what state you'll register the vehicle in if that's different. Locals will know best.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've never heard of a "deputy fee" but that may be state dependent. Rest are in line with what most dealers charge. Mine doesn't charge a doc fee, but $149 is as about as low as I have seen them.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought out of state (Penn) and took a check of exactly what I was quoted. Told my dealer rep I would be do my own tag, title, License tag...just needed a temporary tag. Took me 30 minutes to take care of tag, title, etc when I got home....saved me at least $350 versus what they would have charged. All I needed was a Bill of Sale to do everything in my State. I hate it when dealers gouge you for the little stuff.

Each state is a little different. But can not see charging a Vehicle Inventory Tax when they probably only had the truck for a few days at most. Inventory tax is part of the dealers doing business. I'd question a Deputy Fee.

Dr3wman

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram
Engine
Undecided
I bought out of state (Penn) and took a check of exactly what I was quoted. Told my dealer rep I would be do my own tag, title, License tag...just needed a temporary tag. Took me 30 minutes to take care of tag, title, etc when I got home....saved me at least $350 versus what they would have charged. All I needed was a Bill of Sale to do everything in my State. I hate it when dealers gouge you for the little stuff.

Each state is a little different. But can not see charging a Vehicle Inventory Tax when they probably only had the truck for a few days at most. Inventory tax is part of the dealers doing business. I'd question a Deputy Fee.
Especially when most if not all manufactures provide "floor plan assistance" to their dealers that offset the costs of each vehicle waiting to be sold. If a dealer sells the vehicle as soon as it hits the lot, they are pocketing that full amount of $$.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These all seem to be the cost of living in Texas...

http://txrules.elaws.us/rule/title7_chapter84_sec.84.205

$150 or less. A seller is not required to provide a notification or cost analysis to the OCCC before charging a documentary fee of $150 or less. A documentary fee of $150 or less is presumed reasonable under Texas Finance Code, §348.006(f)
https://fmcpa.cpa.state.tx.us/fiscalmoa/rev.jsp?num=3020

(6) An inspection fee of not less than $21.75 for new cars sold in Texas (Transp. Code 548.503). Inspection expires in 2 years. $7 is collected by the inspection station. $14.75 is remitted to the state at the time of vehicle registration (Transp. Code 548.509). Of the $14.75 amount, $2 is deposited to GR Account 0151 - Clean Air.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulations/texas/43-Tex-Admin-Code-SS-217-168

(a) Fees. A county tax assessor-collector may authorize a deputy to charge or retain the fee amounts prescribed by this section according to the type of deputy and transaction type.
(b) Title transactions. For each motor vehicle title transaction processed:
(1) A full service deputy may charge the customer a fee of up to $20, as determined by the full service deputy and approved by the tax assessor-collector. The full service deputy retains the entire fee charged to the customer.
(2) A dealer deputy may charge the customer a fee of up to $10, as determined by the dealer deputy and approved by the tax assessor-collector. The dealer deputy retains the entire fee charged to the customer. This section does not preclude a dealer deputy from charging a documentary fee authorized by Finance Code, § 348.006.
https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/96-254/vit.php

Vehicle Inventory Tax (VIT)
For local property tax purposes, Texas law requires a motor vehicle dealer’s inventory to be appraised based on the total sales of motor vehicles in the prior year. A dealer must file an annual declaration of total sales from the prior year with their county appraisal district. A dealer must also file a monthly form with the county tax assessor-collector to report motor vehicles sold during the prior month and prepay, to an escrow account, a vehicle inventory tax (VIT) for those sold vehicles.

Property Tax and Not Sales Tax
The VIT is a property tax assessed on the dealer, not the purchaser, and is a negotiable item on the sales agreement. Moreover, the VIT is not, by statute, a part of "total consideration." Dealers may, however, separately list a reimbursement of the VIT on the sales agreement.

For more VIT information, see Publication 96-545, Motor Vehicle Dealer’s Special Inventory (PDF).

Sales Price
If the dealer and seller agree to include a reimbursement of the VIT in the transaction, the VIT reimbursement must be listed separately because it cannot be included in the sales price. Motor vehicle sales tax is not assessed against the separately stated VIT.

The VIT is based on the sales price on Form 130-U, Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (PDF), Box 38, after deducting any rebate, including factory and dealer rebates passed on to the customer. The net sales price in Box 38 is the sales price used for the VIT. For example, if the initial sales price is $20,000 and a $1,000 rebate is available, Box 38 should reflect the $19,000 net figure.

Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like the fee list is as long as the window sticker. Obviously t he taxes, title, registration are legit. Every dealer is different with doc fees. We bought two different Mavericks from two different dealers and one charged $0 and the other charged $99. I have seen people here state they paid as much as $495 for doc fees. I have never heard of deputy fees, and cannot understand how they can charge fees for inventory when it is not in inventory. I would strongly question some of these, but my guess is you will have to pay them or else. At least it is better than one who wanted to charge me a fee to scotchgard the seats, but the problem was that the seats were leather. Got that taken off real quick.

hooliganmom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know if they are all legit but I suspect they are because the dealer is itemizing them. If they were trying to hide profit, why not bundle them into one line and add $200 or so? You could probably Google something like "Deputy Fee Texas new car" for each fee to find out more thanks to the detail they have given.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What state are you located in? The Doc fee can likely be negotiated. The car guys at the YT channel CarEdge (formerly YAA) would tell you " If it is taxable, it is negotiable." So Doc fees, accessories etc. Anything related to the government is not.
I understand all Doc Fees are stipulated by the dealer. Under the condotion that all customers are charged the same. Doc fees in FL can exceed 1k. NY has it set to $175 by law.

Ellebob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check with the attorney general of your state on whether a document fee is required. I called in my state Mass. and it is a pure dealer profit. Obviously, things that are required by state like title, taxes are just collected by the dealer.

Last edited:

Bill Quattlebaum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Those look normal to me. My dealer had everything rolled up into a single fee that covers all of that, at $599 "Doc Fee" plus state taxes.
Taxes look high. Is this state sales tax or vehicle taxes paid to your county? In South Carolina the sales tax is $500.00. The county taxes in our state are determined by the county auditor's office, based on the vehicles value at time of sale.
Sponsored