First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Could be more first year and QC issues. While they are the same body, the hybrid and Ecoboost are different enough to basically be separate models. Not wanting first year gremlins is one of the reasons I held out ordering. Been there with a '14 Cherokee. Never again...

hdrider02

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps there will be more Ecoboost problems when more miles are put on them? Hopefully not of course, but tables have been known to turn
I agree with this, which is why I will not buy the EB. Direct injection engine, which means it will need the "walnut shell" treatment at around 50k. Also, never saw a turbo that eventually did not have problems.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with this, which is why I will not buy the EB. Direct injection engine, which means it will need the "walnut shell" treatment at around 50k. Also, never saw a turbo that eventually did not have problems.

Both models worry me when it comes to long term reliability. Folks say not to worry, the drivetrains are proven, and I guess I'll cross the replacement bridge when/if I get to it, but still part of me wonders if I should just bite the bullet and buy a $50k Tacoma for better piece of mind...

Sponsored

GA Hot Pepper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E, F-150 Lariat, Toyota 4 Runner
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a heads up. An extended warranty might be a good option, repairs are expensive out of warranty. My F-150 EB 3.5L needed two turbos, but was handled under TSB and the 3/36 warranty. I have an extended warranty just for that reason. Something to think about. Could have been $2500+

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It’s not an engineering issue, hybrids are remarkably less complex. Its a quality control problem oversight of its suppliers.
Less complex? Don't think so. But don't think k that are an issue.

Bigkeezy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Except for the harness issue, it seems like most the hybrid issues came down to software issues instead of mechanical. So I'd say it's just a matter of getting the programming right.

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I am curious, and this may kick a hornet's nest. But it qualitatively speaking it seems like there are more issues with the hybrids than the ecoboosts.

Thoughts?
I think all new models have their issues and those get played up more than they should. No one likes a winner! Especially the competition, so we seem to have focus on the problems and not so much the beauty of getting an efficent means of transportation in the form of a truck.

Sponsored

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suggest everyone switch their hybrid orders to eco-boost 😁

Maybe that way I could get lucky and have my hybrid scheduled 😁
Yeah, Yeah, Everyone get an EB, Those complicated, battery operated hybrids are trash, do be buying them. Get Gas, have fun, spend all your money on the ICE!

Yeah, no good hybrids. Phooey on them.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrids are more complex so they may have more initial issues, but my 2010 Fusion Hybrid has 180K miles and still going strong.
More complex? How many moving parts to an 8 speed tranny? How about the accessory belts?

2022 pushed behind 2023's

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got like 11 "deep sleep" notifications in like 10 minutes today... Are there issues? sometimes.
My issue is more with Fords lack of management, which I think flows down into quality control. Any company that repeatedly cites false reasons for their issues is sus imo.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been watching closely for hybrid issues (because that is what I ordered) and though completely unscientific I think if you drop out the battery cable issues there are more reported eco boost problems than hybrid ones. The battery cable issue has caused a lot of problem reports because it manifests in several different ways and especially early on many people reported problems that were eventually attributed to the cable.

But that cable is a QC issue not a design problem. It shouldn't have happened, but I don't think it will be an issue going forward. Personally, I am more comfortable getting a hybrid than I am that ecoboost engine. But that's just me. Maybe if I had ordered the ecoboost instead I would feel different, I don't know.
Sponsored