First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are looking to remove your spare...here is an interesting bit of kit to bring along spare gas or potable water in its place.

https://www.trailedonline.com/

1634870112128.png
I'd wager that most people that are in big cities and don't need the security of a spare tire because of nearby availability of services, probably don't need the security of extra fuel or water either and visa versa.

Him: "Oh no, we broke down. I'm thirsty, I think we have water from a few years ago stored under the car."
Her: "Its ok honey, uber-eats driver shows they are six mins away with our Dr Peppers."

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I’ve never owned a new car that came with an air compressor. Though the Maverick PR team touts that an owner can instal one in the bed cubby, I’d wager the vast majority of owners never will and roll with an inflated spare tire. It’s there for a reason.
I was just getting ready to say the same thing but looked ahead in the posts.

I've owned a few trucks and a bunch of cars and a couple of RV's and none ever came with an air compressor. I must be buying the wrong brands.

Stevospeedo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD FX4 4K Towing 245/65R17 Falken WP A/T3W
I’ve never owned a new car that came with an air compressor. Though the Maverick PR team touts that an owner can instal one in the bed cubby, I’d wager the vast majority of owners never will and roll with an inflated spare tire. It’s there for a reason.
There are many types of situations where a compressor will not do you any good. It all depends on the level of risk you are willing to accept. Urban and suburban areas can likely get by without one because there are plenty of services available to remedy your problem. I personally would never want to be without a spare and am planning to get a matching whell and tire for a 5 tire rotation as well.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I might as well ask and feel dumb. When you unthread the twisty nut doodad holding the spare up, how do you unthread the last bit, without it coming crashing down?

How much does the full size spare weigh?

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might as well ask and feel dumb. When you unthread the twisty nut doodad holding the spare up, how do you unthread the last bit without it come crashing down?

How much does the full size spare weigh?
Haven't seen it yet. Typically on a cable and you crank them down to the ground then disconnect. Or connect, and crank it up back into the hole. I can only assume the Maverick is the same.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haven't seen it yet. Typically on a cable and you crank them down to the ground then disconnect. Or connect, and crank it up back into the hole. I can only assume the Maverick is the same.
Exactly. The crank tool comes in the jack kit behind the rear seat.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ahh, like this?

Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh, like this?

Yes, that was what I was saying. What I'm not sure of as I haven't seen a Maverick yet, is if it has the crank hole in the back to lower the tire. I am pretty sure it does, but not 100% sure.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@JASmith is right on all points. In 35 years of driving the only spare I have ever used roadside was on a Vespa Rally 200 (rear wheel blow out 100 miles from home on garbage tires). I have had one complete tire failure but it was on two simultaneously (and my wife made me sell my 65 Falcon Sprint that week), so my spare was useless.
That said I cannot imagine the weight savings from the tire to be anything more than negligible and in spite of rational arguments against hauling it around and never checking it (again making it useless), I just could not do it. It slots in with “what? I can pay for things with my watch?” and “Hey you kids get off my lawn!” Never thought I would be there, but I am. This old fool will carry a spare- and will likely find it completely useless and flat when I need it.

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
I was just getting ready to say the same thing but looked ahead in the posts.

I've owned a few trucks and a bunch of cars and a couple of RV's and none ever came with an air compressor. I must be buying the wrong brands.
My 2019 Mustang came with a compressor, some fix-a-flat, and no spare tire. I've never had to use it.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@JASmith is right on all points. In 35 years of driving the only spare I have ever used roadside was on a Vespa Rally 200 (rear wheel blow out 100 miles from home on garbage tires). I have had one complete tire failure but it was on two simultaneously (and my wife made me sell my 65 Falcon Sprint that week), so my spare was useless.
That said I cannot imagine the weight savings from the tire to be anything more than negligible and in spite of rational arguments against hauling it around and never checking it (again making it useless), I just could not do it. It slots in with “what? I can pay for things with my watch?” and “Hey you kids get off my lawn!” Never thought I would be there, but I am. This old fool will carry a spare- and will likely find it completely useless and flat when I need it.
Funny because I've used spares at least a half dozen times and maybe more, most recently about 3 months ago. I make a point of checking that it's good and carry a better lug wrench than comes with the car. I also carry a plug kit and a compact 12 v compressor. I seem to clip a curb and blow out a sidewall about every 4-5 years.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Considering the weight savings, and the fact that I can probably go without it until my first tire rotation, I’m tempted to just run without it until I rotate.

Anybody ever thought about not running the spare?
Not really. I paid $100 extra for a bigger spare. Truck should be able to average 37 mpg average with it.
Sponsored