Sponsored

Anyone having issues with the soft tonneau cover?

Bigsarge

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2022 XLT Alto-Blue Mavrick Hybrid has a terrible vibration at speed..
At first i thought, flat spots in the tires, or possibly something was out of wack with the wheels.. but it's turned out to be the tonneau cover moving around.
I have tried to tighten it, to the point where there's no threads, and frankly could probably lift the back of the maverick off the ground with it.. as it's so securely attached.. but still when you are going 65-75 mph it causes a massive vibration in the back of the truck..

Has anyone else had this issue?
I purchased a Tyger Tonneau cover on Ebay ($249). It fits perfectly and doesn't have this problem. Is yours the one from Ford?
Sponsored

PaidEMS

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Saab 9-3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The problem I am having with my soft-folding cover is the "foam" at the hinges. They are tearing apart from the metal. Took to dealer today, service writer said no problem to get it replaced. Unfortunately, it has to be done by the service manager, but he is not there on Saturdays. He said to stop during the week to take care of it.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
just fyi, I love, love, love, my tri fold hard tonneau; extang eceed

OP
OP

RustBeltRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE Premium
So i ditched the Maverick, which ultimately solved all my issues with the Maverick, but for anyone curious. The tri-fold soft cover was on back-order indefinitely so i ended up just fixing it myself.
The solution to my issue was to take it apart, replace all the soft metal hardware with galvanized hardware and put it back together, that allowed me to secure it tight enough to the bed that it resolved the issue. Front plastic spring loaded claw grips included, were replaced with steel pull clips and back hardware was all replaced with galvanized bolts.

After i took it apart i realized the issue..
The rear bolts are in a T handle that is connected to a soft metal screw that with any real tension causes it to bend, and then rotate from vibration, causing the gap to change... and the cover to flop around.. The front hold points, have spring clamps, these attach to the bed rails, but they also didn't adjust right, so i ended up pulling the front clamps from a salvaged F150 Cover and retro fitted the clamps to the front of the cover.. at which point all the issues went away.. simply put they cut corners where they shouldn't have.. and for about 6.00 i fixed it..

Dano

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB/AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So i ditched the Maverick, which ultimately solved all my issues with the Maverick, but for anyone curious. The tri-fold soft cover was on back-order indefinitely so i ended up just fixing it myself.
The solution to my issue was to take it apart, replace all the soft metal hardware with galvanized hardware and put it back together, that allowed me to secure it tight enough to the bed that it resolved the issue. Front plastic spring loaded claw grips included, were replaced with steel pull clips and back hardware was all replaced with galvanized bolts.

After i took it apart i realized the issue..
The rear bolts are in a T handle that is connected to a soft metal screw that with any real tension causes it to bend, and then rotate from vibration, causing the gap to change... and the cover to flop around.. The front hold points, have spring clamps, these attach to the bed rails, but they also didn't adjust right, so i ended up pulling the front clamps from a salvaged F150 Cover and retro fitted the clamps to the front of the cover.. at which point all the issues went away.. simply put they cut corners where they shouldn't have.. and for about 6.00 i fixed it..
Who mfg's the cover for Ford?

Sponsored

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I really thought one of the first things I would replace on my FE was the bed cover, originally they were suppose to come with the soft roll cover but when I got it a month ago it had the tri-fold soft cover. I've been pretty impressed with it, glad Ford switched it out.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have on the wife's the trifold soft cover which balloons up at speed (of course). Might partially cure with air deflectors on cab. This is not our problem. The spring in the pull down retainer clips near the tail gate are too strong for the wife to operate. May try to find springs with less tension but that may create flopping. Will not know until tried is anyone aware of different attachment brackets that have a lever action?

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have on the wife's the trifold soft cover which balloons up at speed (of course). Might partially cure with air deflectors on cab. This is not our problem. The spring in the pull down retainer clips near the tail gate are too strong for the wife to operate. May try to find springs with less tension but that may create flopping. Will not know until tried is anyone aware of different attachment brackets that have a lever action?
I have the same problem when releasing the tension on the retainer clips that hold the rear of the cover. I have to use both hands to pull down on the handle. I am going to ask the service manager if they can adjust the tension to make it easier to pull the handles down.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same problem when releasing the tension on the retainer clips that hold the rear of the cover. I have to use both hands to pull down on the handle. I am going to ask the service manager if they can adjust the tension to make it easier to pull the handles down.
I adjusted the nut on the bolt that goes through the spring to the max allowed and it helped some but I ran out of bolt to loosen it further. A longer bolt would only allow maybe two more turns so I wrote that off. Wait it just occurred to me that the longer bolt would work but would stick out of the handle. The nut is a lock nut so it won't matter. This would however allow the spring to possibly rattle. I will try this though. The spring compresses when the handle is pulled down. The best cure would be a compression spring of the length with ??? Ounces less compression strength.
Sponsored