TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had each one of those brands at one time or another on our cars. Never had a problem with any. Currently my wifes car and my Mav are running Continentals.
Sponsored

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Drove in over a foot of snow and ice today. Did not need snow tires lol
Good for you.

Asheville gets an average of 10.2" of snow annually, and has an average January low temperature of 25.1 degrees.

Stratton, VT (one of the places I ski) gets an average of 103.9 inches of snow annually, and has an average January low temperature of 8.8 degrees. That's 10X the amount of snow you get and a heck of a lot colder (thus icy roads).

Here's the thing...what is required/good/needed or even not needed but nice to have in terms of snow tires, studs, chains, AWD/4WD, and so on in Ashville isn't the same as some other places in the United States. We have differing needs, values, and wants.

My want is to be able to do things in the Winter, not just sit in my house by the wood stove. I want to ski (both downhill and cross country), travel to see things/see hockey games, and do other outdoor winter things. Thus, for me, having good dedicated snows is a high priority. For others (even here), not so much.

rgilld

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
The X-Ice worked great today. No complaints. Mine is the Ecoboost with Luxury & First Addition package.

rgilld

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Question for the group. I bit the bullet and had TPMS sensors installed by Costco on the winter tires. Going forward I always just swap them out myself. Does anyone know if the sensors need to be reprogrammed each time I swap summer/winter tires and when I rotate them?

cormiermc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i got my maverick mid december and got nokian normand 7 installed be the dealer (quebec province, winter tire required by law here). also second vehicule i run with these tire. run great. first major storm yesterday and i must say the awd also work great

Sponsored

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Greetings Asheville. I'm in Hendersonville. I replaced my hybrid Michelins with Firestone Weathergrip so I don't need to change tires summer to winter. Have not tested them in the snow yet but I'm sure I will since I commute monthly to work in Cincinnati.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question for the group. I bit the bullet and had TPMS sensors installed by Costco on the winter tires. Going forward I always just swap them out myself. Does anyone know if the sensors need to be reprogrammed each time I swap summer/winter tires and when I rotate them?
Since you will be rotating them, yes, You need to teach the vehicle the location of each sensor. It isn't a big deal, just a minor PITA, 5-10 minutes. It can be done using a tool or manually (releasing air from each tire in sequence). Essentially you tell the vehicle to learn, and then do Front Driver, Front Passenger, Rear Passenger, Rear Driver in sequence.

rgilld

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Since you will be rotating them, yes, You need to teach the vehicle the location of each sensor. It isn't a big deal, just a minor PITA, 5-10 minutes. It can be done using a tool or manually (releasing air from each tire in sequence). Essentially you tell the vehicle to learn, and then do Front Driver, Front Passenger, Rear Passenger, Rear Driver in sequence.
Thank you. Will buy the tool.

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you. Will buy the tool.
The TPMS sensor will still work. The tool is needed if you want the locations on the monitoring to be correct.
But, just a thought, if one sensor trips it's probably a good idea to go around and check them all anyway?

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Good for you.

Asheville gets an average of 10.2" of snow annually, and has an average January low temperature of 25.1 degrees.

Stratton, VT (one of the places I ski) gets an average of 103.9 inches of snow annually, and has an average January low temperature of 8.8 degrees. That's 10X the amount of snow you get and a heck of a lot colder (thus icy roads).

Here's the thing...what is required/good/needed or even not needed but nice to have in terms of snow tires, studs, chains, AWD/4WD, and so on in Ashville isn't the same as some other places in the United States. We have differing needs, values, and wants.

My want is to be able to do things in the Winter, not just sit in my house by the wood stove. I want to ski (both downhill and cross country), travel to see things/see hockey games, and do other outdoor winter things. Thus, for me, having good dedicated snows is a high priority. For others (even here), not so much.
Also born and raised in Detroit MI...drove in feet of snow with RWD only vehicles with no snow tires. so.. spare the pissing contest. If you took offense to me detailing an experience, I am not sure what to tell you.

Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Greetings Asheville. I'm in Hendersonville. I replaced my hybrid Michelins with Firestone Weathergrip so I don't need to change tires summer to winter. Have not tested them in the snow yet but I'm sure I will since I commute monthly to work in Cincinnati.
That is a hell of a commute!

MTMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Chevy 1T
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never owned a pair of snow tires, I really never saw the need. And yes I've always lived where there is winter. I probably just don't know what I'm missing.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good for you.

I drove for 4 years in the mountains of Utah, in a RWD pickup, before I ever tried snow tires. Never had a single issue, but the difference in capability and safety in the snow is mindblowing when you get the proper tires - no, having 4WD or AWD isn't close. Will never go without them now.

Even though we ordered in June, we held off buying snow tires for the Maverick because we weren't sure when we'd get it. Considering we still do not have a built date, that seems like a good decision.

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went with a set of the new Michelin X-ICE Snow SUV.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also born and raised in Detroit MI...drove in feet of snow with RWD only vehicles with no snow tires. so.. spare the pissing contest. If you took offense to me detailing an experience, I am not sure what to tell you.
Dude, you are the one who ventured into a thread discussing snow tires with the boast post " Drove in over a foot of snow and ice today. Did not need snow tires lol". So you were the one bragging about your superior driving abilities, and again w/the "drove in feet of snow with RWD only vehicles with no snow tires". Wow, aren't you the great driver! I imagine you could do quite fine with slicks on your wheels in three, maybe four feet of snow!

There are plenty of people who don't use snows where I live, and plenty that do. Is there a difference between having good snows and not having them...yes there is, and anyone can research snow tire tests to see the difference.

All I was pointing out is that there is a difference in what is good for North Carolina (even Ashville) and way upstate NY. I also said it is based on what I want. I too learned to drive with RWD in plenty of snow on hilly roads (Western PA) with no snow tires. So what? Does that mean I can't and shouldn't take advantage of snows now? If you think that is a pissing contest, then I too don't know what to tell you.

So how about you let us discuss what snow's we are buying/using in peace?
Sponsored