Sponsored

Anyone Have Winter Tires Yet?

JMEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid, '06 Volvo V70 AWD, '90 CR-X SiR
Does anyone have winter tires on their Mavericks yet? I'm getting ready to put some on this week and I'm not finding any threads in the wheel/tire section. I guess everyone south of the border is focused on other stuff but here in New Brunswick we've already had two brutal storms since the year began.

I've got pricing from the dealer but I'm leaning towards what Canadian Tire has to offer. They've got great deals on Michelin X-Ice Snow and Continental WinterContact SI Plus. I was looking at Bridgestone Blizzaks, both the WS90 and DM-V2 but reviews are all over the place and not as much of a sure shot as the Michelins and Contis for the price. Say what you will about Canadian Tire, but the price is right. if I'd have enough in my budget I would go elsewhereand and likely get Nokians.
Sponsored

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I replaced my Pirelli’s with Toyo AT3 all terrain tires in 245/65 and they’re great.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just bought a set of take off Mav Steelies and will be mounting these bad boys. For now, they will go on my Bronco Sport Badlands it eventually will be used on the Maverick when I finally get it.
Edit: might be getting a foot of snow tonight, would be better if these were already on. Ugh.
Ford Maverick Anyone Have Winter Tires Yet? 62E5E666-32AD-446A-AE50-A9C232971D54

Sponsored

rgilld

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Just today got the Michelin X-Ice 225/65R17 106TXL on steelies installed at Costco. Just in time for the snow storm incoming to Toronto today

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just bought a set of take off Mav Steelies and will be mounting these bad boys. For now, they will go on my Bronco Sport Badlands it eventually will be used on the Maverick when I finally get it.
Edit: might be getting a foot of snow tonight, would be better if these were already on. Ugh.
62E5E666-32AD-446A-AE50-A9C232971D54.jpeg
Nice choice! Hakkas just can't be beat.

Ford Maverick Anyone Have Winter Tires Yet? PXL_20211113_212834608

OP
OP

JMEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid, '06 Volvo V70 AWD, '90 CR-X SiR
You guys with the Hakkas are making me doubt my choices, not to mention making me jealous, also!

Just today got the Michelin X-Ice 225/65R17 106TXL on steelies installed at Costco. Just in time for the snow storm incoming to Toronto today
Let me know how those work for you! Is yours an Ecoboost Maverick or a Hybrid?

Nice choice! Hakkas just can't be beat.
Any particular reason you're running the studded ones vs non-studded for the Maverick?

I used to run studded tires on a Nissan Sentra years ago, but all my vehicles since then I haven't. The weather in my area is more snow and slush afterwards, New Brunswick uses a ton of salt on the roads. We very seldom get extremely icy roads and in most of those cases I won't be on them, but the Maverick is a much bigger vehicle and mine's the Hybrid FWD. Not sure yet how it behaves on anything other than pavement, I've driven my AWD Volvo on messy days for the week and half I've had the Mav.

(edit) Just noticed you have the FX4 2.0, you definitely won't be worrying about traction this winter!

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put michelin crossclimate2 tires onto my maverick. So far I'm really happy with them.
They made it difficult for me to break my tires loose on some snowy/icy surfaces and I don't have to swap them out between winter and summer.
I had really good luck with nokian wrg4 tires on my subaru previously so I figured sticking with all-weather tires would be fine.

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any particular reason you're running the studded ones vs non-studded for the Maverick?
The studs simply provide much more traction on ice, which is when I would like to have a lot more traction. The performance in snow will be the same and in slush/wet it will be slightly worse...but I don't really have a critical traction concern when it's wet/slushy out so I don't really care.

The studs create a LOT more road noise, although these are my third set and I feel like they have improved things a bit in that regard over the years.

If you don't expect to be running into black ice, especially at highway speeds, then the studs are going to be pointless imo.

A lot of north american tire reviews kinda skimp on the studded-vs-nonstudded comparisons but there's some good testing in Nordic countries:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Studless-and-Studded-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

https://tiresvote.com/articles/test-world-large-r16-winter-tire-test-2021/

Sponsored

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You guys with the Hakkas are making me doubt my choices, not to mention making me jealous, also!

Let me know how those work for you! Is yours an Ecoboost Maverick or a Hybrid?

I used to run studded tires on a Nissan Sentra years ago, but all my vehicles since then I haven't. The weather in my area is more snow and slush afterwards, New Brunswick uses a ton of salt on the roads. We very seldom get extremely icy roads and in most of those cases I won't be on them, but the Maverick is a much bigger vehicle and mine's the Hybrid FWD. Not sure yet how it behaves on anything other than pavement, I've driven my AWD Volvo on messy days for the week and half I've had the Mav.

(edit) Just noticed you have the FX4 2.0, you definitely won't be worrying about traction this winter!
I’ve done both studded and non-studded and decided to go studded (since I had the choice). Where I live we get winter, and I don’t like the idea of being stuck at home. I like to ski and do other winter outside activities. I also go the dedicated wheel route as it makes it a lot easier vs. mounting tires on wheels twice a year.

i have the same tires (Hakkas) on my F150, decided to get new ones this season (used the previous set for 5.5 winters).

I have a hybrid (so FWD) Maverick on order, but will also (at least for now) be using these on a BS Badlands (AWD). My thought process is that the FWD Maverick should do pretty well with studded snows.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is Wisconsin, studded tires have been illegal for over 40 years, I remember when I was a kid our cars had them, they did howl a bit & worked well when everything was rear wheel drive. They did tear up the roads & knock out alot of headlights & cracked many windshields when they flew out of the tires.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is Wisconsin, studded tires have been illegal for over 40 years, I remember when I was a kid our cars had them, they did howl a bit & worked well when everything was rear wheel drive. They did tear up the roads & knock out alot of headlights & cracked many windshields when they flew out of the tires.
Eh, that's Wisconsin.

Most northern states allow studded tires with restrictions. For NY, they can only be on Oct 15th-May 1. In VT, where I ski, they are permitted year round. In PA, where I sometimes visit, Nov 1 - April 15th.

Yes, studded tires are noisy.

To all that don't like them, don't get them. :)

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Drove in over a foot of snow and ice today. Did not need snow tires lol

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid, Mini 4 door
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks WS90 in the garage, just waiting for our hybrid Maverick to arrive. Very pleased to have found them in time for Christmas. Might the get truck for Valentine's Day. LOL.
Sponsored