Yellow Rhino

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, 360, Lux Pkg.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine does the same in the exact same spot. Driver's side. I have a Yakima rack on it, and I noticed it immediately after I put it on, so I assume it was the clamping of the rack that caused it. Regardless, it's not that noticeable to me, so I just let it be. If it starts buckling in any other areas other than that one spot, I might look for solutions.
Sponsored

Jimmy P

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also have the exact same problem in the same place on the left side. I installed a Truxedo Pro X15 soft toll up tonneau cover in January. Fast forward to hot Las Vegas summer and the bulge appeared. Can't see how the mounting of the rail contributes to the problem. Seems like a Mav problem across the board.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They probably put these plastic rails on there to cut costs, which I approve of, but along with the tiny bad, this is one of my least favorite features. As soon as I saw it, I thought, “That’s gonna crack.” So far, mine hasn’t.

So, wha’s the consensus? Remove the accessories, or let the rail warp?

rdnbrbk

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Lariat 2.5L
It's funny, I have a similar issue but on the top of the rail near the tailgate. Like a bulge or where the cap didn't go all the way down inside the side of the bed. Note my tonneau cover is factory installed
Ford Maverick Anyone have the side plastic warping? 20220620_213309

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Record heat in our area and my rails haven't budged a millimeter. Of course I don't have any accessories that constrict the rails expansion and contraction either.

Sponsored

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Do you remember if there was any "structure support" on the plastic rail? I see the little extra molded parts on the backside of the rail and am curious of this spot is missing that extra structure. I haven't brought mine in yet assuming it will get worse when it gets really hot this summer.
No Ken, I didn't check for any supporting ribs etc. there as I was and remain fairly certain this is related to thermal expansion. I guess yours did not lay back down after removing the cover attachment and letting it sit in the sun?

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
No Ken, I didn't check for any supporting ribs etc. there as I was and remain fairly certain this is related to thermal expansion. I guess yours did not lay back down after removing the cover attachment and letting it sit in the sun?
Correct. I took off the truxedo rails and tonneau to see if it would make a difference but it did not. It will bump out on hot days and only slightly return when it cools down. Still sticks out now no matter what, but if they replace it with the same thing that wont help so I'll live with it for now and change it out before the warranty is up. Weird how it only does it on the drivers side. I have parked the other way on the sunny street at my work to see what happens and no change to the passenger side so far. weird.

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
Record heat in our area and my rails haven't budged a millimeter. Of course I don't have any accessories that constrict the rails expansion and contraction either.
Yes, you have mentioned that theory on the first page.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Correct. I took off the truxedo rails and tonneau to see if it would make a difference but it did not. It will bump out on hot days and only slightly return when it cools down. Still sticks out now no matter what, but if they replace it with the same thing that wont help so I'll live with it for now and change it out before the warranty is up. Weird how it only does it on the drivers side. I have parked the other way on the sunny street at my work to see what happens and no change to the passenger side so far. weird.
I agree, it is weird that many of us see this on only the drivers side. I still like the thermal expansion idea, but wondering if maybe there is a measurable difference in the plastic at that point....either due to a mold error or a mold temperature problem. If thinner at this location that could make some sense.

OP, have you considered using a strip of 3M trim tape underneath?

I will post if I find any thickness difference

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
I agree, it is weird that many of us see this on only the drivers side. I still like the thermal expansion idea, but wondering if maybe there is a measurable difference in the plastic at that point....either due to a mold error or a mold temperature problem. If thinner at this location that could make some sense.

OP, have you considered using a strip of 3M trim tape underneath?

I will post if I find any thickness difference
Regarding the 3m, If you push in on the spot where my plastic bulges, there doesn't seem to be anything there. Just an empty spot behind it, perhaps.

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does everyone think the clamp on style covers contribute to this issue? Anyone with a soft tri fold or no cover have the issue? I'm debating between the pro x15 or Gator SFX..

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
Does everyone think the clamp on style covers contribute to this issue? Anyone with a soft tri fold or no cover have the issue? I'm debating between the pro x15 or Gator SFX..
It doesnt seem to matter whether or not my cover or rack is on.
Sponsored