Caper

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First significant snow since getting my Maverick. Only drove rear wheel drive Rangers for last 30 years so this AWD is a big change.
I still have the original AT tires on the Maverick. I have snows to put on just didn't get there yet.
There was enough snow on my road such that it was touching the undercarriage. I tried a few of the settings like Slippery, Normal and Traction Control off and had no issues with traction even on a steep grade. Probably worked best with TC off and Normal.

Anyone else enjoying the new ride in the snow?
Ford Maverick Any other snow Mavericks ? 20211209_124427

Ford Maverick Any other snow Mavericks ? 20211209_131627
Sponsored

Vince30

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Ford Maverick and some motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Looks good in the frozen tundra

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

First significant snow since getting my Maverick. Only drove rear wheel drive Rangers for last 30 years so this AWD is a big change.
I still have the original AT tires on the Maverick. I have snows to put on just didn't get there yet.
There was enough snow on my road such that it was touching the undercarriage. I tried a few of the settings like Slippery, Normal and Traction Control off and had no issues with traction even on a steep grade. Probably worked best with TC off and Normal.

20211209_124427.jpg

20211209_131627.jpg
My present truck, ‘92 Toyota pu, rear wheel drive, always got me where I needed to go. It’s not the truck and it’s ability. It’s the driver, and his patience.
When we got shovelable snow (6”+), I’d shovel the part of the driveway behind the truck, INTO the bed, giving me weight over the drive wheels. As it melted, and as the roads became more drivable, the bed would empty.
Now, with the Mav coming, with FWD, I’m still considering shoveling the snow into the bed, not for traction, but to keep the rearend from swinging out in slippery turns. A bit worried that the added weight would increase this possibility.
I know that this will diminish the front/rear ratio, theoretically giving me LESS traction up front. So this will take a learning curve, to see how much weight to put back there.
By the way…..
A few buddies, with RWD pu’s, would put a bundle or two of peat moss way aft in the bed in the fall, puncture the tops, allowing precipitation to enter, giving them weight. In the spring, they’d back up to the garden, slice open the bundles, roll them into the garden, and be good to go until the next fall.

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My present truck, ‘92 Toyota pu, rear wheel drive, always got me where I needed to go. It’s not the truck and it’s ability. It’s the driver, and his patience.
When we got shovelable snow (6”+), I’d shovel the part of the driveway behind the truck, INTO the bed, giving me weight over the drive wheels. As it melted, and as the roads became more drivable, the bed would empty.
Now, with the Mav coming, with FWD, I’m still considering shoveling the snow into the bed, not for traction, but to keep the rearend from swinging out in slippery turns. A bit worried that the added weight would increase this possibility.
I know that this will diminish the front/rear ratio, theoretically giving me LESS traction up front. So this will take a learning curve, to see how much weight to put back there.
By the way…..
A few buddies, with RWD pu’s, would put a bundle or two of peat moss way aft in the bed in the fall, puncture the tops, allowing precipitation to enter, giving them weight. In the spring, they’d back up to the garden, slice open the bundles, roll them into the garden, and be good to go until the next fall.
Adding weight to the rear will not help it avoid swinging out. Yes, it will add more force to the rear tires on the road, but it also adds proportional force sideways when you turn, canceling out the advantage.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We're supposed to get 4-8 inches of snow tomorrow, but delivery on my Maverick is still a couple weeks out.

Sponsored

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Adding weight to the rear will not help it avoid swinging out. Yes, it will add more force to the rear tires on the road, but it also adds proportional force sideways when you turn, canceling out the advantage.
So I’ll corner more slowly.
As I say, steep learning curve.

OP
OP
Caper

Caper

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t know how you guys do it. It’s 77 degrees and I’m wearing shorts today lol
I'm still wearing shorts....maybe not today. Our weather can be quite variable this time of year. This weekend is supposed to be 12°C so about 54°F. Last week some nearby areas got 300mm rain or about 1 ft in 24hrs.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

20211209_124427.jpg

20211209_131627.jpg
Good to know for when ever I get mine.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm interested in how the Maverick handles compared to a FWD sedan.

With traction control, gone are the days of fun of popping the hand break on empty snowy roads to drift around corners.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I spent 3 hours this morning on the lake trying out new sails on a 43’ Hans Christian. You guys can have that stuff! Haha
Nice. Our family's Catalina 36 got totaled from a lightning strike about a decade ago.

But have you ever laid on a frozen lake at dusk and felt the ice crack and shift below you? It's something.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice. Our family's Catalina 36 got totaled from a lightning strike about a decade ago.

But have you ever laid on a frozen lake at dusk and felt the ice crack and shift below you? It's something.
I certainly have not. Again, I’ll defer to you fellas better equipped for that than myself!
Sponsored