First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3, 2006 Toyota RAV-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My three takeaways from that article- it’s kinda stupid to estimate the number of recalls for a vehicle over a 30 year lifetime when I bet at least 80% of all vehicles sold aren’t even on the road at 20 years old.
2- Only 2 Ford products on the list and it’s not surprising the F-150 is there considering it’s been the top selling vehicle in the US for 30 years
3- I always read that Porsche’s are highly engineered and built to last but it looks like every model they make is on that list, except the Boxster/Cayman twins

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is not surprising...Tesla is known for its poor reliability.

OP
OP
BuddyS

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My three takeaways from that article- it’s kinda stupid to estimate the number of recalls for a vehicle over a 30 year lifetime when I bet at least 80% of all vehicles sold aren’t even on the road at 20 years old.
2- Only 2 Ford products on the list and it’s not surprising the F-150 is there considering it’s been the top selling vehicle in the US for 30 years
3- I always read that Porsche’s are highly engineered and built to last but it looks like every model they make is on that list, except the Boxster/Cayman twins
I agree on all points. And for perspective, think of how few 20 year old Audis, BWW, and MB models you still see on the road -- very few. Porsches definitely more so because they're more special, but the upkeep and repair costs aren't for the faint of heart. So in the end, yes, some new-model recalls should be expected. But I think that once the bugs are squashed our Mavs are going to be good, long-running vehicles. Buyers will undoubtably get their money's worth from them.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But aren't Tesla's recalls mostly related to the self driving capabilities that extremely few people experience issues with and not something that will actually leave you stranded that most people experience at one point or another like the Maverick's wire harness causing the battery to die?

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A lot of recalls are software fixes or simply checking a part. I've had three recalls on the Escape and so far only one will actually need to require physical labor. So, the numbers won't tell the entire story. A steering wheel falling off while driving and reprogramming the auto start/stop function each count as 1 recall but one is obviously more dangerous than the other.

Reactions: bgn

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The clear problem here is that that recalls are not necessarily for every version of the car, not for every year. If one trim level, or one option results in a recall, for a specified date range (Like 7 pin tow harnesses were) then everyone isn't taking their car in. F-150 has a dozen trim levels and includes an all-electric model. The 30 year thing is just hysteria.

Reactions: bgn

Deleted member 14823

Imagine spending all that money on a Porsche and nearly every car they make is on that list.

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2005 Porsche Boxster and they have a notorious IMS issue (intermediate shaft bearing) but it only affects 1-4% and usually it is because of two reasons(explains the range) they either were not driven enough (4%) or mistreated on a track day (1%). Now with any NEW vehicle everyone says to stay away but if you think about it, why would several years of development in lab and confined track testing not reveal everyday traffic and roadway issues. 100,000 people driving in many varied climes and situations on a daily basis for a year will easily find real-time flaws. Still I am willing to be a Guinne pig. In the 22 new vehicles I have owned, I personally have not had any more problems with the 7 which were all first-year models. Including my P-car which I track 5-6 times every year.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
hyundia was saying it takes months for their recall parts to come in as well.

Sponsored

APD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Order submitted
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is essentially a "hit piece" on tesla.
They even mention that they include "over the air updates" as recalls.
Only a small percentage of Tesla owners actually had to bring their cars in to be repaired. These are mostly software updates.
...And they are using "projected 30 year recalls" to compare 100 year old car companies with a 15 year old one. Kinda silly

Here is another way to look at it:
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-recall-2022-breakdown-misconceptions/

The term "Recall" is a legacy word from the past auto industry that doesnt/shouldnt apply to software updates. Is your web browser, or operating system "recalled" every time there is an update?

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is essentially a "hit piece" on tesla.
They even mention that they include "over the air updates" as recalls.
Only a small percentage of Tesla owners actually had to bring their cars in to be repaired. These are mostly software updates.
...And they are using "projected 30 year recalls" to compare 100 year old car companies with a 15 year old one. Kinda silly

Here is another way to look at it:
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-recall-2022-breakdown-misconceptions/

The term "Recall" is a legacy word from the past auto industry that doesnt/shouldnt apply to software updates. Is your web browser, or operating system "recalled" every time there is an update?
The name recall is applied to any safety related issue, software or not. If there is a recall that basically means NHTSA has forced the manufacture to do so. That also means the manufacture has to notify the vehicle owner of the issue, whether there is an available fix or not. Not everyone who owns a vehicle will be on a user forum like this a learn about the issues with their vehicle.
Sponsored