First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's new. It's hot. People can GET them... I don't know if the Mav will take the crown, but I am much happier waiting for my truck than I'd be rolling in the higher priced and less efficient SC.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know some people probably search for "ford maverick" looking for the car but look at the baseline. :)

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 7.30.08 PM.png
I don’t think many are searching for the car, as we don’t see much activity before the pickup was released. Unless somehow Ford releasing the pickup gave people nostalgia.

MDmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the Santa Cruz will sell well and all in all it seems really well designed. However, I choose the Maverick (despite like all of us without any seat time in the vehicle) exclusively because of the hybrid option. I wanted a vehicle that will serve two primary purposes. First, as a commuter vehicle (my work commute is about 23miles each way in varying roads and I wanted something that will be be more efficient/comfortable than my aging 2010 Ranger ). Second, this will be use for weekend warrior use (HD runs, dump runs, dirty gear storage for camping) .

The two primary negatives against the Santa Cruz for me:
1) Fuel economy is not much better that other midsize trucks
2) Capacitive touch screens on almost all the controls in the vehicle. I get why Hyundai did this from a design perspective (It looks clean and free of clutter). But in practice, capacitive controls are infuriating and the lack of fine control of a function (like a traditional volume or HVAC control knob) is a major turnoff.

I chose the XL Hybrid because I feel (and hope) that this checks all the boxes I wanted for an all around commuter vehicle.

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems like kind of a crap metric. As the article points out, The Santa Cruz 'sells' faster than the Bronco, despite the fact that almost every Bronco is sold before it reaches the lot. So I guess Hyundai is just faster at discharging vehicles.

Whoo.

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
I’m still somewhat amazed that there are people willing to actually buy the SC. I guess there are more people out there than I thought that literally give zero consideration to what a vehicle looks like.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m still somewhat amazed that there are people willing to actually buy the SC. I guess there are more people out there than I thought that literally give zero consideration to what a vehicle looks like.
I like both. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Think about it, in Korea girls are crazy for the "soft" type that are rather metro and find guys with facial or chest hair gross, whereas in the West most go for the "brawny" type with a high preference for facial hair and a high testosterone aesthetic. No right or wrong answer when it comes to styling.

In any case though, its a white-hot market right now in general so anything that just released and is all-new, particularly in a niche that until now didn't exist, is going to be explosive. Mavs are going to fly off the lots too.
Sponsored