Sponsored

Am I The Only One Who Hates Cruise Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I actually really liked the cruise control setup for the Maverick and I don’t even have the adaptive cruise control option. It was easy to set and adjust the speed. Definitely a nice comfort on some 9-10hr drives I did this year.

I typically don’t use cruise control but definitely was happy with how easy it was on the Maverick to use.
Sponsored

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't find it mentally exhausting. It is literally set it and forget it.

Obviously this is only for long stretches of road with consistent traffic.

If I'm driving for more than 2 hours on the highway it's nice to give my foot a rest.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see so many posts regarding the desire for cruise control. I don't get it. I hate cruise control. I drive from 300 - 1000 miles a week and it is mostly highway miles.
Every car I have had for the past 15 years has had cruise control and I don't use it. I have tried to learn to like it, but it isn't going to happen. I have even tried adaptive cruise control and I hate that. The feature is mentally exhausting and irritating. Is there anyone else who does not like cruise control?
Yes 😉 Now adaptive cruise I can do without. I drive all over Texas: The King of Kruise Kontrol 🤠

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't know about the CC on your vehicle but my present vehicle gives me full control of my vehicle. If I want to stop, I use the brakes, to speed up, step on gas. Once I leave off the pedal, the speed goes back to where I had it set. If I had hit the brakes, I press resume and the vehicle goes back to the speed it was set for. I have full control whether ACC is on or off.
I know how to use it you just missed my point. I like being in control of my gas pedal, modulating my speed as I move along adjusting as I go. What I do not like is having the car do it for me. I don't mind using it for short periods with no traffic. Using it in traffic with the adaptive cruise not for me. I find my reaction times are quicker when my foot is already on the pedal.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't hate cruise, I just never feel the need for it. I prefer to drive, in all ways.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did notice the Mav cruise works at 25 mph which is kinda nice when I'm driving down a long residential street by schools where police like to set up speed traps. Awfully hard to keep the speed at 25 without it creeping up which takes a really light foot.
Should actually be able to set cruise control as low as 20 mph, so long as you accelerate to 20+ before setting it.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No need for it on the island, however I did like it when I was trucking. Adaptive cruise control is just nonsense to me.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see so many posts regarding the desire for cruise control. I don't get it. I hate cruise control. I drive from 300 - 1000 miles a week and it is mostly highway miles.
Every car I have had for the past 15 years has had cruise control and I don't use it. I have tried to learn to like it, but it isn't going to happen. I have even tried adaptive cruise control and I hate that. The feature is mentally exhausting and irritating. Is there anyone else who does not like cruise control?
I don't hate it but I would have rather had Ford split the rear seat then put CC in the XL.

Phil Skinn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion Titanium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been using ACC since I bought my Fusion Titanium in 2013. I immediately turn on the the cruise and as soon as I am up to road speed click in the ACC. I use it almost everywhere I go. I find it that it saves me a lot of grief shen some knuckle head in front of me makes a sudden, un-signaled stop or turn.

The major reason I still don't have my Maverick is that I won't buy a car without adaptive cruise and it's been one of the constraints in the Lariat package

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
CC is standard in all trim levels for MY ‘23.
I think he was saying he wished they'd split the rear seats instead of putting cruise in all of the models.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't like hitting the +/- cause it often causes my Camry to downshift abruptly and I'm a mizer with mileage😉. Have not used the cruise on the Mav much to-date. And is the 9 and 4 universal or what😂?
I dunno but I saw something once where somebody said police will spot you 4 in a residential and 9 on a highway. It kind of make sense. And I certainly hope it's universal. :eek:

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To respond to the OP, my wife doesn't like Cruise either. It's just something she doesn't want to futz around with. But, I use it because it lets me unload maintaining the speed limit to the truck.

I tend to be really unlucky when cops are around, dunno why.

Should actually be able to set cruise control as low as 20 mph, so long as you accelerate to 20+ before setting it.
My guess is they don't want people to zone out in a school zone. Although with how hard it can be to keep some vehicles below 20, it could also be a way of helping cops keep up the money grab.

I don't hate it but I would have rather had Ford split the rear seat then put CC in the XL.
I have a feeling it's because of how stupidly cheap and easy the FORSCAN mod was. $200 or so in parts, plus some labor and $125 or so for the guy with the laptop; to get factory cruise. And it's even cheaper for the factory since they can now stop using the non- cruise steering wheels.

By the same token, swapping to a 60/40 back seat would require more design and maybe even an engineer, and then they'd have had to tool up space at a factory to make those back seats... you get the idea.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A lot depends on where you drive. I live in the southwest and often take long trips on roads with traffic sparse, towns widely spaced, and Highway Patrol cleverly hidden. One day last month, for example, I spent about 8 hours on the road between Twin Falls, ID and Las Vegas, NV (as part of a much longer trip from British Columbia almost to the Mexican border).

CC allows me to keep my eyes on the road and the starkly beautiful landscape and not worry about whether my speed is slowly creeping up to the ticketing threshold. It also allows my foot and leg to relax instead of trying to maintain just the proper (ever-changing) position hour after hour.

So... I use it when it helps me and don't when it doesn't. I know some people find the technology difficult to manage, but because I use it frequently it is second nature and I don't even have to think about it.

Last edited:

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are 3 of you in the USA who don't like cruise control. Where in the world do you find all those vehicles without it? mostly sh*t boxes? Even my 49 year old classic car has cruise control, & I use it every time I drive it!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.