First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I received my 2022 eco XL with AWD and tow package in April of 2022. I loved it at first, till about 8k miles, and then it just sort of lost a lot of its power. It laboriously shifts through way too many gears and just acts like your average four cylinder economy vehicle. Biggest problem is that the trans will shift to too high of a gear and then go into lockup at way too low of a speed. So, below 50mph, it’ll drop to about 1100 rpm and then start going into a shutter felt through the entire truck until you find a way in traffic to give it gas enough to brake out of it. Also, it grinds when it shifts. You can feel it through the floor, the steering wheel. Last but not least, there’s now an intermittent “hot brake” smell inside the truck. I went around to each wheel, it’s not the brakes
I’ve been to the dealership that I bought it from twice and then I bought it to another dealership once. They tell me nothings wrong, but then it turns into that they “could not replicate the customer’s complaint”. Think that means they took it for a ride and they didn’t feel it and parked it. They will all tell you that fords eight and ten speeds suck and there’s nothing you can do.
So, any help would be great, this is all based on driving it in normal mode. Anything else is a crutch in my opinion. The trucks brand new and shouldn’t shutter or grind or smell like it’s burning in any mode.
Try Hillsborough Ford or Grappone. Both have excellent service departments. Sounds like yours just needs a software update.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JasonT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True less than 1% failure and 5 year 60k warranty
I couldn’t stand the 8 spd transmission. The shift points were so screwed up that the vehicle had a hard time driving under 50mph. It would shift to too high a gear and the vehicle would intermittently shutter. I brought it to service three times and they said they could not replicate the problem. I ended up selling it to them for what I paid with 16k miles and a dent. I bought a Tacoma.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I couldn’t stand the 8 spd transmission. The shift points were so screwed up that the vehicle had a hard time driving under 50mph. It would shift to too high a gear and the vehicle would intermittently shutter. I brought it to service three times and they said they could not replicate the problem. I ended up selling it to them for what I paid with 16k miles and a dent. I bought a Tacoma.
It's a good thing no one has ever had a transmission problem in a Tacoma :p

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s easy to say if you’re not in the 1%, and you still have the use of the vehicle you bought. If it’s so well proven in previous products. . . .?
It doesn't make it any less true that 99%+ have no issues and it is not a major cause for concern when buying a Maverick. No recalls have been issued.

Sponsored

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It doesn't make it any less true that 99%+ have no issues and it is not a major cause for concern when buying a Maverick. No recalls have been issued.
True, but time may also tell another story. Just hope this bug bite you on the way to 2%.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True, but time may also tell another story. Just hope this bug bite you on the way to 2%.
I don't take any pleasure in people having problems with their vehicles. I really hope Ford is able to resolve your issue. I had a Ford Focus prior to the Maverick so I know all about transmission troubles.

There is no evidence to point to any systemic issue or design flaw with the 8F35 transmission that has been used in multiple models of vehicles. The first ones are now outside of their 3 year warranty and many people have registered over 100k miles on them. Most of the complaints have been due to shifting issues that are mostly resolved with resetting the PCM that adapts to users driving styles.

The OP of this thread even talked about how when it was new he was able to "chirp" the tires. Well if you are driving in that manner it will adapt to that style of driving, which is not how it was designed to be driven. If the dealer can't find any problems and is even willing to buy it back at purchase price, I am not sure what else people should expect. Coming back to this Maverick forum just to say the vehicle was sold and replaced with a Tacoma instead kind of rubs me the wrong way. Then others are chiming in and saying they are concerned about buying one due to a few anecdotal stories, makes me want to set the record straight. If over the next 2 years a legitimate issue is documented, I will be happy to eat crow. I will also give Ford the opportunity to make it right.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don’t believe I’ve been unreasonable with any of my comments. Just can’t understand why service is not available at all Ford authorized dealerships. Is this our future, partial service dealers?

Be cause this was first run vehicle, got the premiere factory extended warranty in case extended service issues occurred. But, did not anticipate having to deal with a tiered service network, is the day of smaller local dealerships in less populated areas over, instead will it now be necessary to get some service problems resolved at dealerships in a higher density populated area? And how does one know this prior to purchase, and/or having a problem after purchase?

Yes, I know issues of this nature are more of a socioeconomic problem, but it reflects poorly on a corporation when a conquest customer has to spend time and money to find out how get warranty service issues resolved. Seems this would not help build brand loyalty.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just FWIW -- I ran across a guy last week who used to work for Ford, he was driving a Mav and I stopped to talk with him about it. Told him I had one on order and literally first words out of his mouth was, "Please tell me you ordered the hybrid." I did, and told him that, and he said, 'Good -- the EB's, they're having a LOT of transmission issues, it's a real mess." He was driving a hybrid himself, so take it with a grain of salt, of course, we all justify our own purchases. I did ask him how long it took to get his -- he ordered it through his "preferential" Ford employee program, and it STILL took 8 months from the time he ordered to getting it.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The f835 transmission shifting unreasonably to the highest gear does take away from a good ownership experience. I now use the tow/haul drive mode in town taking away the shuddering with revs.

In a perfect world, the Maverick would have shifting paddles or a way to keep in the gear desired.

Also, I have been wondering if the transmission issue is a 4K thing?

Sponsored

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just FWIW -- I ran across a guy last week who used to work for Ford, he was driving a Mav and I stopped to talk with him about it. Told him I had one on order and literally first words out of his mouth was, "Please tell me you ordered the hybrid." I did, and told him that, and he said, 'Good -- the EB's, they're having a LOT of transmission issues, it's a real mess." He was driving a hybrid himself, so take it with a grain of salt, of course, we all justify our own purchases. I did ask him how long it took to get his -- he ordered it through his "preferential" Ford employee program, and it STILL took 8 months from the time he ordered to getting it.
This is the type of BS I am talking about. People spreading FUD without anything to back up their claim other than some anecdotal BS about talking to someone who used to work at Ford. Seriously GTFO of here with that crap. Did the same guy tell you that they also had the same problems with the same exact transmission in a handful of other model over the last 3 years? And is this some kind of Ford conspiracy to cover it up and not issue a recall?

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The f835 transmission shifting unreasonably to the highest gear does take away from a good ownership experience. I now use the tow/haul drive mode in town taking away the shuddering with revs.

In a perfect world, the Maverick would have shifting paddles or a way to keep in the gear desired.

Also, I have been wondering if the transmission issue is a 4K thing?
And where is this specific issue documented? How many vehicles are affected? What makes you believe this is specific to the 4k model? Did you also hear all this from an unnamed former Ford employee who prefers the hybrid, which does in fact actually have documented problems? Inquiring minds want to know...

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How many EcoBoost Mavericks on the road now? 75k+? I've seen 3 or 4 reporting major transmission issues that require full replacement under warranty. Time will tell. I feel sorry for anyone who has to go through the hassle, but all cars have some problems, especially in the first year or two of production. Hopefully this doesn't turn into the major weak point of the Maverick EcoBoost. I would think the same problems would also show in the sister vehicles like the Bronco Sport, Edge, and Escape. Doing some searching, there are TSBs for the Edge/Nautilus for a shudder.

My hope is that any issues with this transmission present themselves during the 5/60 factory powertrain warranty and not at something like 75k-125k. My dealer gives a lifetime powertrain warranty, but I'm sure there are limitations/deductibles that I'd rather not deal with. I suspect this will probably be one of those transmissions that demand regular fluid drains to stay healthy. Keep up with them every 25-30k.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And where is this specific issue documented? How many vehicles are affected? What makes you believe this is specific to the 4k model? Did you also hear all this from an unnamed former Ford employee who prefers the hybrid, which does in fact actually have documented problems? Inquiring minds want to know...
Using the tow/haul was from my experience and suggestions posted in other threads. On the 4K, I was wondering if the lower gear ratio made a difference in the transmission performance. Nothing has come out from Ford regarding the Maverick but has for the Lincoln Corsair which uses the 8f35 transmission having the same issues. To date, I have not seen anyone with a Maverick nor spoken to hybrid Eco owners. All good here.

vinnymac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t have any codes. Mine was fast when I got it. It would easily chirp the tires. If you took off from a stop sign, you had to go easy or everyone would get jerked around inside the truck. Now, it’s slow. And I took another new maverick for a test ride to compare and it was slow too! So, I’m not sure if the turbo waste gate was stuck closed or what, but it’s not anymore.
Take negative cable off for a few minutes and reset computer may help your issue
Sponsored