First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Using the tow/haul was from my experience and suggestions posted in other threads. On the 4K, I was wondering if the lower gear ratio made a difference in the transmission performance. Nothing has come out from Ford regarding the Maverick but has for the Lincoln Corsair which uses the 8f35 transmission having the same issues. To date, I have not seen anyone with a Maverick nor spoken to hybrid Eco owners. All good here.
The only thing I can find is a technical bulletin to repogram the PCM. It does not appear to be a widespread issue and there are no recalls for it now in its 4th year of production. The PCM adapts to driving behavior and may need to be reprogrammed if experiencing shifting problems. Seems like pretty basic troubleshooting and not an indication of a bad design or faulty parts.
Sponsored

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is the type of BS I am talking about. People spreading FUD without anything to back up their claim other than some anecdotal BS about talking to someone who used to work at Ford. Seriously GTFO of here with that crap. Did the same guy tell you that they also had the same problems with the same exact transmission in a handful of other model over the last 3 years? And is this some kind of Ford conspiracy to cover it up and not issue a recall?
Pretty sure "anecdotal" in the way you're using it doesn't apply to an actual encounter with a real person. Didn't report it as 2nd/3rd/heard from a guy who heard from a guy. Actual encounter with a legit former Ford person, reported as such with "fwiw" and "take it with a grain of salt." But yeah, sure, get bent out of shape about it, seems to be the way of the world anymore. Geeze...

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pretty sure "anecdotal" in the way you're using it doesn't apply to an actual encounter with a real person. Didn't report it as 2nd/3rd/heard from a guy who heard from a guy. Actual encounter with a legit former Ford person, reported as such with "fwiw" and "take it with a grain of salt." But yeah, sure, get bent out of shape about it, seems to be the way of the world anymore. Geeze...
No anecdotal is the exact right word. Based on personal accounts, not facts or statistics. Reading through the forum, there are complaints about transmissions but not a lot of diagnosed problems with solutions. Reprogramming the PCM is not even an indication of a problem with transmission. It could easily be related to a problem with the driver. Some people also have limited experience with different types of powertrains and others just have unrealistic expectations and like to complain. And unless the issue is completely diagnosed and looked at with statistics it is impossible to point to a systemic problem. There will be failures for any transmission. But if 99.9% of them are fine and only 0.1% have a problem, that is to be expected. That is still 1,000 problems per million vehicles and those people will most definitely not be happy and many take to forums and are very vocal about it giving the impression that it is a reliability issue. The other 999,000 vehicle owners are unlikely to chime in and say everything is fine with theirs. There have been millions of these transmission made over the last 4 years and we would know by now if there was some major design flaw or reliability issue.

I feel for the people that have problems especially when they are having bad experiences with local dealers. A lot of that is out of Ford's control. You have no choice but to let the warranty process play out or get rid of it. I have been down this road with my last Ford vehicle. But that was a well documented issue affected millions of vehicles, had multiple recalls, and was a huge class action lawsuit.

Last edited:

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The f835 transmission shifting unreasonably to the highest gear does take away from a good ownership experience. I now use the tow/haul drive mode in town taking away the shuddering with revs.

In a perfect world, the Maverick would have shifting paddles or a way to keep in the gear desired.

Also, I have been wondering if the transmission issue is a 4K thing?
I have an AWD FX4 4K truck with 4,000 miles so far and no issues. No shudder. Not shifting early. Not hard to drive under 50 mph at all. Just my experience.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only thing I can find is a technical bulletin to repogram the PCM. It does not appear to be a widespread issue and there are no recalls for it now in its 4th year of production. The PCM adapts to driving behavior and may need to be reprogrammed if experiencing shifting problems. Seems like pretty basic troubleshooting and not an indication of a bad design or faulty parts.
We tried the reprogramming, no help for my Mav

Sponsored

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have an AWD FX4 4K truck with 4,000 miles so far and no issues. No shudder. Not shifting early. Not hard to drive under 50 mph at all. Just my experience.
I do not have the FX4, maybe thatā€™s the issue?

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
By all means keep wildly speculating. You might know what the symptom is, but it doesn't sound like you know what the problem is. The only person that can help is a technician at a Ford dealer. Luckily you still have many years left on your warranty. Please report back when you have a resolution so we can all know the facts.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I doubt it. FX4 doesn't add much mechanically. And neither does 4K tow really. It is just a shorter drive ratio.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A TIMELINE RECAP OF MY TRANSMISSION FAILURE
2022 Lariat EB, FX4, 4K, delivered 10/15/21
Thursday, February 23, 2023
@ 1230 - Started experiencing hesitation and stumbling when trying to get moving from a stop. Also began to hear noises from the transmission when engaging the reverse and drive positions, clunks and clanks. Stopped by my local Ford dealer, one I have been using for regular service. They drove the vehicle and it exhibited these symptoms, ran a diagnostic scan, indicated a solenoid was bad. Service manager did not think this would solve the problem. Unfortunately he did not currently have a Ford certified transmission technician on staff, and recommended I take it to a dealer who did.

Friday, February 24, 2023
@ 1330 - While on the way to the dealer that sold me the Mav, experienced a ā€˜Total transmission Failureā€™ with 20,024 miles on odo / Towed to dealer [Fairway Ford in Greenville, SC]. Was provided rental car, as service advisor [Gordon Drummond] did not feel it was a minor problem that could be completed in one day.

Thursday, March 2, 2023
@ 1630 PH< Gordon contacted me with the news they were going need to replace my transmission. Could not give me any more info at this time, but would keep me informed about the progress of the changeout.

Friday, March 3, 2023
@ 1630 PH< Gordon called, transmission work complete, side airbag recall replacement done, truck ready for pickup.

Saturday, March 4, 2023
@ 0930 - Returned rental and picked up Mav. Drives fineā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.now to see for how long.

While this not what should have occurred at 20k miles, must credit Ford, and Fairway Ford in Greenville, SC, who really got on this problem for me, quite amazed at a turn around time of one week for a transmission evaluation and replacement. Especially given the workload dealerships are experiencing.

In hindsight, some of the quirks I noticed/experienced prior to the failure, and attributed to adaptive electronic transmission self adjusting, may have been early indicators of looming problems. Hard to make a judgement call without/until the cause of the failure is known.

Do know I donā€™t like the rotary gear selector, nor itā€™s location.
Auto transmission gear selection historically has been a linear process, with distinct, definable, detents for each position. Requiring a transition from linear to rotary gear selection, when in the traditional linear console location, creates steep learning curve.

The Mav was created to be a smaller PU TRUCK. Yes, reducing cost by parts bin engineering will save some time/dollars, but really diminishes the end result. Another issue is the inability to select a lower range/gear, and have the transmission make an immediate shift. Instead we have to wait till the electronics decide it should be done.

May be showing my age, but I would prefer to DRIVE the vehicle, not have an algorithm designed in a lab/office make real world decisions for me.

END OF OLD CURMUDGEON RANT.

Transmission - Our trucks use the 8F35 transmission. Found this little tech article if you want to know more about our transmissions. <Ford's New 8-Speed>
https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/fords-new-8-speed/

A word of caution, warranty towing works, IF you know how to gain access, and what will be expected:
  1. You will need to call ā€˜Ford Roadside Assistanceā€™ 1-800-241-3673. They will tow you to the closest dealer within fifty (50) miles.
  2. You will need to enter your VIN number.
  3. You will need to provide some details about the problem.
  4. You may be given the option of several dealer locations to select for delivery, might be wise to familiarize yourself with their proximity prior to making the call.
  5. Unless prearranged otherwise, you will need to be with your vehicle when the tow truck arrives.
Hope this will be helpful to others who might experience similar issues
...............hpdl (herr professor doktor lesmeister)

rlelliott

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I purchased my 2022 AWD 4k non FX4 April 30th 2022. It has had major vibration/shuddering since about 4000 miles. Took in for 1st service Sept 2022. It now has 10,000 miles, been at the dealership 4 times for a total for 31 days.

1st service 9/22 with 4269 miles (3 days) - dealer claims they found no issue even though the technician rode with me and said he felt the vibration/shudder but didn't know how to fix it. Recommendation "driving in a different mode"

2nd service 11/21 with 6368 miles (3 days) - transmission tech admitted it had significant vibration but said there was no known fix. Checked tire balance and all tested good. They reset the computer and also fixed the brake light recall related to brake controller and then told me not to bring it back after I completed negative survey.

3rd service 2/23 with 8825 miles (different dealership) (4 days) - stated vibration caused by all 4 tires being defective (same one that just tested all good 2000 miles earlier). They replaced all 4 tires and performed alignment which did not resolve issue.

4th service 3/23 with 9851 miles (21 days) - rotated and rebalanced all 4 tires (the ones that were just replaced 1026 miles ago), replaced all motor mounts, replaced rear driveshaft. Final conclusion "vibration is normal characteristic of lugging on engine in higher gears acceleration at low rpms. No repair can be done to fix this issue"

I have since hired an attorney and filed a lemon law suit and am waiting for Ford to respond.

Transmission now make random loud clunking noise during shift and something is rattling under the truck in the vicinity of the engine/transmission.

***UPDATE***
May 10th 2022 with 11,000 miles on my Maverick, Ford has made me an offer through my attorney. I keep the vehicle as originally purchased, factory warranty remains in effect including the Ford extended warranty, no lemon law statement on the title, and Ford writes me a substantial check for the inconvenience.
My attorney is currently negotiating the size of that check.

Last edited:
Sponsored

slcalkins

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick XL w/ AWD and 4k.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
6 speed gets poor highway mpg. They keep adding gears to make it a lot more fuel efficient.
My 2022 AWD 4k eco boost now has 55,000 miles and my average mpg has been over 35, I do a lot of highway driving and am a very conservative driver.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A TIMELINE RECAP OF MY TRANSMISSION FAILURE
2022 Lariat EB, FX4, 4K, delivered 10/15/21
Thursday, February 23, 2023
@ 1230 - Started experiencing hesitation and stumbling when trying to get moving from a stop. Also began to hear noises from the transmission when engaging the reverse and drive positions, clunks and clanks. Stopped by my local Ford dealer, one I have been using for regular service. They drove the vehicle and it exhibited these symptoms, ran a diagnostic scan, indicated a solenoid was bad. Service manager did not think this would solve the problem. Unfortunately he did not currently have a Ford certified transmission technician on staff, and recommended I take it to a dealer who did.

Friday, February 24, 2023
@ 1330 - While on the way to the dealer that sold me the Mav, experienced a ā€˜Total transmission Failureā€™ with 20,024 miles on odo / Towed to dealer [Fairway Ford in Greenville, SC]. Was provided rental car, as service advisor [Gordon Drummond] did not feel it was a minor problem that could be completed in one day.

Thursday, March 2, 2023
@ 1630 PH< Gordon contacted me with the news they were going need to replace my transmission. Could not give me any more info at this time, but would keep me informed about the progress of the changeout.

Friday, March 3, 2023
@ 1630 PH< Gordon called, transmission work complete, side airbag recall replacement done, truck ready for pickup.

Saturday, March 4, 2023
@ 0930 - Returned rental and picked up Mav. Drives fineā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.now to see for how long.

While this not what should have occurred at 20k miles, must credit Ford, and Fairway Ford in Greenville, SC, who really got on this problem for me, quite amazed at a turn around time of one week for a transmission evaluation and replacement. Especially given the workload dealerships are experiencing.

In hindsight, some of the quirks I noticed/experienced prior to the failure, and attributed to adaptive electronic transmission self adjusting, may have been early indicators of looming problems. Hard to make a judgement call without/until the cause of the failure is known.

Do know I donā€™t like the rotary gear selector, nor itā€™s location.
Auto transmission gear selection historically has been a linear process, with distinct, definable, detents for each position. Requiring a transition from linear to rotary gear selection, when in the traditional linear console location, creates steep learning curve.

The Mav was created to be a smaller PU TRUCK. Yes, reducing cost by parts bin engineering will save some time/dollars, but really diminishes the end result. Another issue is the inability to select a lower range/gear, and have the transmission make an immediate shift. Instead we have to wait till the electronics decide it should be done.

May be showing my age, but I would prefer to DRIVE the vehicle, not have an algorithm designed in a lab/office make real world decisions for me.

END OF OLD CURMUDGEON RANT.

Transmission - Our trucks use the 8F35 transmission. Found this little tech article if you want to know more about our transmissions. <Ford's New 8-Speed>
https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/fords-new-8-speed/

A word of caution, warranty towing works, IF you know how to gain access, and what will be expected:
  1. You will need to call ā€˜Ford Roadside Assistanceā€™ 1-800-241-3673. They will tow you to the closest dealer within fifty (50) miles.
  2. You will need to enter your VIN number.
  3. You will need to provide some details about the problem.
  4. You may be given the option of several dealer locations to select for delivery, might be wise to familiarize yourself with their proximity prior to making the call.
  5. Unless prearranged otherwise, you will need to be with your vehicle when the tow truck arrives.
Hope this will be helpful to others who might experience similar issues
...............hpdl (herr professor doktor lesmeister)
33,000 miles: Just replaced the OEM tires and thought I'd post an update. Have operated in 'Normal' mode for most of those miles.
ā€¢ Transmission operating OK.
ā€¢ Still don't like shifting with a rotary dial knob on the console!
ā€¢ Found using the 'Towing' mode will allow for a bit more engine braking when decelerating, but does decrease my MPG number, and you have to cycle through all modes to use it, so don't use it often. Wish the 4K towing option would allow me to toggle between 'normal' and 'towing' with a button on the steering wheel, or in an easily accessed dashboard location. Of course swapping transmission modes, with any frequency, while moving might cause problems with the e-shifting, electro-mechanical, brain/hardware.
ā€¢ First 20K miles was averaging 26MPG, now about 22MPG. Haven't changed area of operation, load or fuel type, and not towing any more often, so not sure of reason. May start adding some liquid injector cleaner every so often when refueling.
ā€¢ Have noticed a bit more mechanical noise as the miles add up, but no leaks or other problems.

Safe miles to all. ...............hpdl (herr professor doktor lesmeister)

Panther City Outdoors

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 2019 Transit Connect Wagon Titanium with the eco boost n 8speed. Before I bought it, I had heard about catastrophic trans failure, usually right after warranty expired, around 60-70k miles. Mine started really acting up right before I traded it in @58k miles. I literally limped in to the dealer, but they cleared it, and a couple of days later when an available Mav came in, took it as a trade in. It seemed to be constantly searching for the right gear. I loved the van, but that trans was suspect.

Panther City Outdoors

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just spoke with someone who has a 2021 transit Connect ecoboost/8speed. They are on their 3rd transmission. 2 were replaced under warranty, one quit 100 miles after warranty expired. Dealer said they couldnt help.
Sponsored