First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid HPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The sound on my 2024 XL Hybrid was way better than expected, and it seemed to be loosening up even more as I used it (currently 2,000 miles). But, not being able to leave anything alone, I decided to upgrade the speakers and add a subwoofer which it seemed to need. Based on lots of previous threads, I went with the:

PowerBass OE65C-FD speakers and tweeters for the front. $129.99 on Amazon;

Rockville SS8P Subwoofer for behind the rear seat. $109.95 on Amazon, with the install kit; and

Sound Ordinance P-40B 4" 2-way speakers for the rear. $29.99 on Crutchfield, with free Metra 75-5603 harnesses.

The tweeters were super easy. Pop the covers from the center and lift towards the pillar. You don't need to remove the A-Pillar trim if you push something under the dash cover to hold it up while you're working. Push the three retaining tabs and pop out the factory tweeter. Plug in the new tweeter, and press back into the factory hole. The only trick is the 2 little indents which need to point straight forward towards the windshield. Then test and pop the covers back down.

The door speakers weren't much harder. There's lots of good videos explaining how to remove the door panels, but basically you remove the cover behind the door handle and pry up the window switches from the arm rest side and then unhook the plug(s) and pop them out. From there, you remove the 8mm door handle bolt and two 7mm bolts under the window switches. Then there's three more 7mm screws along the bottom of the door, including one hiding behind the little red reflector at the rear of the door. The door speakers are held in with 7mm screws, and the new speakers fit perfectly and connect back to the factory harness just like the tweeters. Test and then reassemble both doors.

The front speakers and tweeters are about a 40% improvement over stock, but they still lack mid-bass and bass. I found them a little tinny, so I dropped the treble two notches in the system settings.

For the rears, which I probably wouldn't have done except I needed to tap the line(s) for the subwoofer, were a little more difficult than the fronts. Again, there's lots of videos showing how to remove the rear trim pieces and it's not that hard, but it's a lot of back and forth to each side of the truck while the seat is up, and down and up again. Plus you have to battle the long rear window piece which is awkward and has the middle seat belt running through it. The best way to deal with it is to pull it off and then move it up and over the rear seat so its out of the way. The only difficult piece is the top most grill where the speakers are mounted, because the mount on the rear most corner is woefully weak. Even with care, plan on breaking this mount -- but a little plastic weld or epoxy will fix it right up. You'll see when its off, that this is a poorly designed mount that was probably never intended to be removed. And by the time you get to this point, you'll need a break anyway - so leave the epoxy to set up and just walk away. Fortunately, these top most pieces are held on with a 7mm bolt, so they'll still be plenty secure no matter what you do.

The rear speakers bolt right in like the fronts with no clearance issues using two 7mm screws. But before you install the speakers, push on the Metra harnesses. Then tap the wires in the harness(es) so you don't have to alter the factory wires. I only tapped the left rear speakers, but there's inputs on the subwoofer for both left and right speakers if you want to tap both sides. IMO it sounds just fine with only the left (or right) tapped. Run lengths of primary wire to the butterfly bracket (or wherever you decide to mount the subwoofer). I used 16 ga. wire. Then test the rear speakers and reinstall the trim pieces. I'd say the rear speakers are only a 10% improvement over stock, but I like having 2-way speakers with tweeters in rear too versus just the 4" factory cone.

Finally, wire the subwoofer. It's pretty easy in the XL hybrid because there's an unused butterfly bracket already mounted on the rear of the cab behind the seat and because the battery box is right there. I mounted my subwoofer to an 11" x 11" piece of 3/8" plywood. I made a cardboard template and transferred and drilled the holes on the plywood, and then mounted the plywood to the butterfly bracket with #8 bolts and washers. The subwoofer comes with mounting screws and I used those to attach the subwoofer to the plywood. I ran the tap wires from the rear speaker(s) to the subwoofer plug and connected the wires together using 12-24 ga. Wago Lever Nuts (from Menards). These connectors are nice because they hold well even using different sized wires and can be removed and refastened as needed. The ground wire is long enough to attach to the grounding point right above the butterfly bracket. And I added about a 12" length of 10 ga. wire to the power lead to reach the positive terminal on the battery. Finally, I mounted the subwoofer control box to the trim under the front of the rear seat (just foward of the battery box) so I can adjust the bass from the driver's seat by reaching back to turn the knob. Others found the SS8P to fit nicely behind the seat, and it works just fine in my Maverick as well.

This is a long-winded explanation, but I hope it helps someone who's on the fence about whether to upgrade their speakers or not. It's very worth it, and I believe it now sounds every bit as good as the 21 speaker B&O sound system in my 2022 Expedition. The subwoofer makes a huge difference, like 50-60% better than stock. So, all combined, this $275 upgrade, yields about 100% improvement in sound quality and output over stock and adds the much needed low end to the system (front and rear).

Final thoughts. I considered adding sound dampening to the doors and rear and side walls, but there's not that much metal that's exposed. Ford did a good job sealing the cab and filling the cavities behind the panels, etc., and now that's it's done I don't feel it needs any dampening. I also considered adding an amp and DSP unit, but it certainly doesn't need it. There's no real distortion at 2/3d's of max volume and even at half volume it's too loud for me to sit in the cab with the doors open. Finally, if you order the rear speakers from Crutchfield like I did, add some wire taps or wire loom to your order to bring the order total up to $35 to get the free shipping!

Ford Maverick $275 Audio Upgrade - No Cutting IMG_20240328_132401941_HDR

Ford Maverick $275 Audio Upgrade - No Cutting IMG_20240328_133521259

Ford Maverick $275 Audio Upgrade - No Cutting IMG_20240328_135053359_HDR
Sponsored

fauxhican

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice write up. I upgraded my door speakers this week, have rears ready to go, nice to see some photos of what to expect in there. I was looking at the same sub also, seems like I should do that all at once. How does that sub volume dongle fit there under the seat when it's down, is that where you kept it?

OP
OP

RedTwigs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid HPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two-sided tape. If you feel under the rear seat, there's a nice indent right in front of the battery box and the control unit fits there perfectly. The control unit adjusts the sub volume and has a blue led power light so I can see if the amp is on or off from the front seat.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Two-sided tape. If you feel under the rear seat, there's a nice indent right in front of the battery box and the control unit fits there perfectly. The control unit adjusts the sub volume and has a blue led power light so I can see if the amp is on or off from the front seat.
This is simple and relatively practical assuming you can easily reach it while in the driver's seat.

If you had enough cable to put it up front though, why not? It's very easy to pull cable through the door sill trays.

OP
OP

RedTwigs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid HPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mounted it in the back because I wasn't sure I was going to use or keep it and it was one less thing to do. And I can see it and use it fine from the driver's seat.

Sponsored

fauxhican

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm going to steal this approach with the volume dongle, at least for testing things out. I was planning to run mine up front and mount it under the USB ports, but this would be an easier way to make sure the setup meets my needs. I have an ecoboost, just have to check if that notch exists there.

k2rizzle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Tremor XLT - Atlas Blue CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The sound on my 2024 XL Hybrid was way better than expected, and it seemed to be loosening up even more as I used it (currently 2,000 miles). But, not being able to leave anything alone, I decided to upgrade the speakers and add a subwoofer which it seemed to need. Based on lots of previous threads, I went with the:

Rockville SS8P Subwoofer for behind the rear seat. $109.95 on Amazon, with the install kit; and

Sound Ordinance P-40B 4" 2-way speakers for the rear. $29.99 on Crutchfield, with free Metra 75-5603 harnesses.

The tweeters were super easy. Pop the covers from the center and lift towards the pillar. You don't need to remove the A-Pillar trim if you push something under the dash cover to hold it up while you're working. Push the three retaining tabs and pop out the factory tweeter. Plug in the new tweeter, and press back into the factory hole. The only trick is the 2 little indents which need to point straight forward towards the windshield. Then test and pop the covers back down.

The door speakers weren't much harder. There's lots of good videos explaining how to remove the door panels, but basically you remove the cover behind the door handle and pry up the window switches from the arm rest side and then unhook the plug(s) and pop them out. From there, you remove the 8mm door handle bolt and two 7mm bolts under the window switches. Then there's three more 7mm screws along the bottom of the door, including one hiding behind the little red reflector at the rear of the door. The door speakers are held in with 7mm screws, and the new speakers fit perfectly and connect back to the factory harness just like the tweeters. Test and then reassemble both doors.

The front speakers and tweeters are about a 40% improvement over stock, but they still lack mid-bass and bass. I found them a little tinny, so I dropped the treble two notches in the system settings.

For the rears, which I probably wouldn't have done except I needed to tap the line(s) for the subwoofer, were a little more difficult than the fronts. Again, there's lots of videos showing how to remove the rear trim pieces and it's not that hard, but it's a lot of back and forth to each side of the truck while the seat is up, and down and up again. Plus you have to battle the long rear window piece which is awkward and has the middle seat belt running through it. The best way to deal with it is to pull it off and then move it up and over the rear seat so its out of the way. The only difficult piece is the top most grill where the speakers are mounted, because the mount on the rear most corner is woefully weak. Even with care, plan on breaking this mount -- but a little plastic weld or epoxy will fix it right up. You'll see when its off, that this is a poorly designed mount that was probably never intended to be removed. And by the time you get to this point, you'll need a break anyway - so leave the epoxy to set up and just walk away. Fortunately, these top most pieces are held on with a 7mm bolt, so they'll still be plenty secure no matter what you do.

The rear speakers bolt right in like the fronts with no clearance issues using two 7mm screws. But before you install the speakers, push on the Metra harnesses. Then tap the wires in the harness(es) so you don't have to alter the factory wires. I only tapped the left rear speakers, but there's inputs on the subwoofer for both left and right speakers if you want to tap both sides. IMO it sounds just fine with only the left (or right) tapped. Run lengths of primary wire to the butterfly bracket (or wherever you decide to mount the subwoofer). I used 16 ga. wire. Then test the rear speakers and reinstall the trim pieces. I'd say the rear speakers are only a 10% improvement over stock, but I like having 2-way speakers with tweeters in rear too versus just the 4" factory cone.

Finally, wire the subwoofer. It's pretty easy in the XL hybrid because there's an unused butterfly bracket already mounted on the rear of the cab behind the seat and because the battery box is right there. I mounted my subwoofer to an 11" x 11" piece of 3/8" plywood. I made a cardboard template and transferred and drilled the holes on the plywood, and then mounted the plywood to the butterfly bracket with #8 bolts and washers. The subwoofer comes with mounting screws and I used those to attach the subwoofer to the plywood. I ran the tap wires from the rear speaker(s) to the subwoofer plug and connected the wires together using 12-24 ga. Wago Lever Nuts (from Menards). These connectors are nice because they hold well even using different sized wires and can be removed and refastened as needed. The ground wire is long enough to attach to the grounding point right above the butterfly bracket. And I added about a 12" length of 10 ga. wire to the power lead to reach the positive terminal on the battery. Finally, I mounted the subwoofer control box to the trim under the front of the rear seat (just foward of the battery box) so I can adjust the bass from the driver's seat by reaching back to turn the knob. Others found the SS8P to fit nicely behind the seat, and it works just fine in my Maverick as well.

This is a long-winded explanation, but I hope it helps someone who's on the fence about whether to upgrade their speakers or not. It's very worth it, and I believe it now sounds every bit as good as the 21 speaker B&O sound system in my 2022 Expedition. The subwoofer makes a huge difference, like 50-60% better than stock. So, all combined, this $275 upgrade, yields about 100% improvement in sound quality and output over stock and adds the much needed low end to the system (front and rear).

Final thoughts. I considered adding sound dampening to the doors and rear and side walls, but there's not that much metal that's exposed. Ford did a good job sealing the cab and filling the cavities behind the panels, etc., and now that's it's done I don't feel it needs any dampening. I also considered adding an amp and DSP unit, but it certainly doesn't need it. There's no real distortion at 2/3d's of max volume and even at half volume it's too loud for me to sit in the cab with the doors open. Finally, if you order the rear speakers from Crutchfield like I did, add some wire taps or wire loom to your order to bring the order total up to $35 to get the free shipping!

IMG_20240328_132401941_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240328_133521259.jpg

IMG_20240328_135053359_HDR.jpg
This is great...thanks!!

jons

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great writeup! thank you

Bwillie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Getting close to making this my next adventure! Thank you for the write up and review!

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At what volume level would you say this upgrade makes a difference? I am contemplating doing my speakers but i also don't listen to music past volume 10 LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP

RedTwigs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid HPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd say the upgrade is a 20% improvement in volume. I used to listen with the dial set at 13 or 14 and now it's more like 11 or 12. The improvement in sound quality is much greater than the sound volume. But if you only do 1 upgrade do the subwoofer or door speakers.

Deweyordeweynot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Oxford White / 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

IMG_20240328_132401941_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240328_133521259.jpg

IMG_20240328_135053359_HDR.jpg
30 years ago I'd be 'all in' on upgrading the audio...but these days I'm thinking about just doing the subwoofer and leaving the rest stock. My ears are unlikely to hear the improvement that better speakers provide, but even in their present condition they can tell the bass is lacking.

Great description of the work involved and good photos, too. There's people on YouTube who could take a lesson from you on How To Present Your Work Properly...and some of them are supposedly professionals in their field, yet their video productions are amateur (to put it kindly).

creepshow

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks good! One thing to note is that the rear speakers don't receive a bass signal from the head unit. If you want a full audio signal, you'll have to tap the front speakers. It sounds like yours works fine, but if someone is using a different line-output-converter it may not work as well.

spydox

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
really nice job I'm going to study this. I was thinking of trying to convert the rear headrests into the rear speakers.

I want to install a line level convertor and amp where the sub is now. Is +12 and gnd there? Are the non-crossover signals F L/R there?

TY!

OP
OP

RedTwigs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid HPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the hybrid there's a factory ground point about 8" above the butterfly bracket and the 12v battery in the hybrid is under the rear seat so also very easy to access.

I'm not sure about the signals because everything is loomed with a rodent resistant covering that's hard to cut through or remove. That's why IMO the best place to tap is the unloomed wires on the Metra rear speaker connectors.

I also learned (when I used Forscan to activate the Traffic Sign Recognition feature) that there were "front right speaker disconnected" and "front left speaker disconnected" error codes in the system from when I had the door panels off. So it must check the continuity of the speaker circuits every start. Accordingly, I didn't want to tap or cut the factory wires or loom, in case it somehow affected the battery monitoring system.

I'm pleased with the result I got and I don't feel like I'm missing bass, but I may try to set the EQ setting to "flat" with Forscan to see if that affects the result.
Sponsored