First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just inherently distrust the center of mass in a fwd truck towing 4K. In a car the center of mass in a fwd is further back.
I think you mean further forward, as you're simply removing weight from the tail of the vehicle. The difference is negligible though, as the weight difference between FWD and AWD is only 168lbs, part of which is the driveshaft of which some of it is up front. Towing will add yet more weight to the tail of the vehicle, but vehicles that are neutral or tail heavy are less stable than front heavy vehicles, not more, for the same reason that a front weighted arrow will want to fly straight compared to just a balanced or worse tail heavy arrow shaft that is more likely to rotate after being thrown.
Once, I was sliding sideways on glare ice in 4WD at less than 30MPH with oncoming and trailing traffic. Truck righted itself when the right front got some dry pavement. A major adrenalin rush for sure. My heart rate was in triple digits, I think. Years of winter driving and no trailer helped. As with most incidents the problem in usually inexperience and operator error. Bad roads and FWD only with a trailer can put you in the ditch in a heartbeat.
I think people are forgetting that two wheels being driven rather than four wheels being driven makes no difference unless you are on the throttle.

Most people when sliding sideways are not likely to step on the gas to try and right themselves using power, and instead will let off the gas and allow the traction control system to brake the tires individually to regain stability and control.

FWD and AWD all have four tires, four brakes, and the same traction control system. They only differ in a meaningful way when you are attempting to accelerate, a maneuver rarely performed during loss of control or emergency avoidance unless you happen to hear a beat in the background with Japanese girls chanting, "I wonder if you know, how they live in Tokyo, if you seen it then you mean it, then you know you have to go. Fast and furious!!!" 🎶
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
The actual weight distribution doesn't change a substantial amount from FWD to AWD. And the more weight forward, the greater tendency to under steer. Your anecdote is counter to that fact.
Incorrect but you studied mechanical and aeronautical engineering the same as my first degree. So whatever

for a 3rd party comment on the same subject:https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-why-you-can-tow-with-a-front-wheel-drive-car/ please note however that trucks inherently have an even higher front to rear imbalance than a car does. This is why we used to add weight to the rears of even rear wheel drive trucks so that the tyres were taking more of the weight, spun less, and had more braking ability.

Last edited:

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Incorrect but you studied mechanical and aeronautical engineering the same as my first degree. So whatever

for a 3rd party comment on the same subject:https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-why-you-can-tow-with-a-front-wheel-drive-car/ please note however that trucks inherently have an even higher front to rear imbalance than a car does. This is why we used to add weight to the rears of even rear wheel drive trucks so that the tyres were taking more of the weight, spun less, and had more braking ability.
Guess humility isn't one of your strengths lol.

AWD adds about 150lbs, some of that weight in the front on the transmission output, some of that fore of the rear axle, and some of that right in line with the rear axle. This only changes weight distribution a couple percent.

Also from your article you posted

"The auto site adds that a front-wheel drive car is less likely to fishtail than one with rear-wheel-drive."
So naturally I am paranoid about an off center hit effectively jack knifing a fwd large load trailer combo
So in your anecdotal story. You proceed to tell us, about how FWD is gonna jacknife and somehow we are going to be so unsafe pulling load with FWD. And the article you posted refutes your own claim.

So you're argument is moot when talking about handling that doesn't involve acceleration. Because the added tongue weight will roughly have the same handling impacts whether FWD or AWD because it is much more significant at 10-15% of the maximum load placed at the very rear then a couple percent weight distribution change from FWD to AWD.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AWD adds about 150lbs, some of that weight in the front on the transmission output, some of that fore of the rear axle, and some of that right in line with the rear axle. This only changes weight distribution a couple percent.

So in your anecdotal story. You proceed to tell us, about how FWD is gonna jacknife and somehow we are going to be so unsafe pulling load with FWD. And the article you posted refutes your own claim.

So you're argument is moot when talking about handling that doesn't involve acceleration. Because the added tongue weight will roughly have the same handling impacts whether FWD or AWD because it is much more significant at 10-15% of the maximum load placed at the very rear then a couple percent weight distribution change from FWD to AWD.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/what-wheel-drive.html

Ok you are /plonked end of conversation too bad as you have the potential I think of understanding the classical physics involved but your bias is to explain, however you can, that a front wheel drive pickup towing 4K is a good idea.

If you can pul it off, it ain’t arrogance.

where I have doubt, I freely acknowledge it.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Why are you arguing with someone who has a degree in everything, was the strongest high school kid in history, and claims his grandma is the daughter of a MLB hall of famer who never had a daughter? Reading RKbrumbelow's accomplishment claims on this board is my daily comedic relief.

Sponsored

willyboy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
several
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
[/QUOTE] FWD and AWD all have four tires, four brakes, and the same traction control system. They only differ in a meaningful way when you are attempting to accelerate

Not sure if I understand the point you are making. I preceded what I said by saying no system is perfect. I was merely suggesting that one can get into trouble with AWD, 4WD, FWD or RWD in the right circumstance. I also was once blown off the road on glare ice by a 30+ MPH wind when virtually at a standstill. The topper became a sail. I can attest there is absolutely no traction with wheels up whether you accelerate or not. Physics is physics and traction on ice becomes something you can pray for.

tcw8848

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Damn, just got the call from Mullinax, Florida. I have to change order. He didn’t know updated amount for AWD. Or if my production date stays at 9/20. I told him to find out! GRRR
So, I put in my new paperwork for the upgrade to AWD and just got an email from Ford saying thank you for your order (the same email when I ordered the first time), so it is not looking very good that I will keep my 9/20 build date, which grinds my gears pretty bad. Especially because it was Ford who forced the change.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I put in my new paperwork for the upgrade to AWD and just got an email from Ford saying thank you for your order (the same email when I ordered the first time), so it is not looking very good that I will keep my 9/20 build date, which grinds my gears pretty bad. Especially because it was Ford who forced the change.
Agree. I'd be pretty peed off if the scheduled production date was changed. But do you know for sure it's changed?

tcw8848

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree. I'd be pretty peed off if the scheduled production date was changed. But do you know for sure it's changed?
No, not confirmed. Just have that feeling. We'll see I guess. The order confirmed email didn't seem like a good sign.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
No, not confirmed. Just have that feeling. We'll see I guess. The order confirmed email didn't seem like a good sign.
If your FWD 4K Mav was scheduled and you received a vin why did you switch over to AWD?

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your FWD 4K Mav was scheduled and you received a vin why did you switch over to AWD?
Because Ford will make 0 retail units

Crazy

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Terrain
Crap, I just checked my email and I have the same order email I got in July. My sales guy said this afternoon that they would talk to the “rep” to see if I would keep my same 9/20 build date. Maybe I will send him the Ford email.

Willard

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 CVPI
The major disappointment in Fords AWD and tow switch they pulled on us has now made us opt out for a different truck altogether.

I was thrilled to be part of this truck club and anticipated much joy from the maverick, but I’m signing out fellers.

enjoy your Mav’s

coolhip33

First Name
Colleen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FWD w/tow pkg
Hi all,

We ordered the FWD with tow package on 8/14/21. Just called our dealer and he advised that because we ordered before the change, that they will be making the vehicle as ordered. He advised the memo states they "will no longer be offering" (the FWD with tow) after that date.

I have asked him why "no longer" and he is going to try to find out.

rlc3854

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi all,

We ordered the FWD with tow package on 8/14/21. Just called our dealer and he advised that because we ordered before the change, that they will be making the vehicle as ordered. He advised the memo states they "will no longer be offering" (the FWD with tow) after that date.

I have asked him why "no longer" and he is going to try to find out.
I hope you won't be disappointed but what your dealer told you isn't true. You can contact Ford Marketing at 1-800-334-4375 for verification.
Sponsored