2-Door, Standard Cab, 6-Foot Bed

TucsonHooligan

First Name
Rudiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 F100, 68 F250 Camper Special, 64 Falcon
Short and sweet, the title says it all. We NEED this truck. Everything else is just details. Build a Maverick that can be used as a daily driver for commuting to work but that can also haul a sofa on the weekend. If I wanted 4 doors and seating for 5, I'd buy a car. If I wanted a 3 foot bed bolted to the back of a minivan, I'd buy a Ranger. Bring back a genuine mini truck and the country will throw money at you in piles.

(Yes, this has all been covered elsewhere. No, I don't need a 9-paragraph screed about why it won't happen, I understand how manufacturing works. This is here simply as a statement to the Ford people who obviously started this forum to snoop on the buzz about their not-yet-existing vehicle. That is all.)
Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
And while we are at it we can yell into the wind about:

Manual Transmissions
Affordable 2 seat sports cars
T-Tops
Roll-down windows
Landau Roofs
Bias ply tires

The market has moved on. The reason they stopped building 2 door compact trucks was because there wasn’t a market demand. The truck you would want would make up less than 1% of the market. Why would a company invest tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to design and certify a vehicle where they will never recover their investment. That’s how dumb companies go out of business.

The only reason we are seeing compact trucks is because they are the future electric trucks. Small vehicles require small battery packs. It’s that simple. My guess is if you don’t like a comfortable small truck, you’ll really hate an electric one.

Ford Maverick 2-Door, Standard Cab, 6-Foot Bed Ford Maverick Ordering Stats

Last edited:

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Short and sweet, the title says it all. We NEED this truck. Everything else is just details. Build a Maverick that can be used as a daily driver for commuting to work but that can also haul a sofa on the weekend. If I wanted 4 doors and seating for 5, I'd buy a car. If I wanted a 3 foot bed bolted to the back of a minivan, I'd buy a Ranger. Bring back a genuine mini truck and the country will throw money at you in piles.

(Yes, this has all been covered elsewhere. No, I don't need a 9-paragraph screed about why it won't happen, I understand how manufacturing works. This is here simply as a statement to the Ford people who obviously started this forum to snoop on the buzz about their not-yet-existing vehicle. That is all.)
Lost all credibility with the Ranger comment. Its a tried and true truck design they've been making for 10+ years and with the proper extended cab setup it has a 6 foot bed. Its not even that much different from the previous gen one we had in America.

You arent getting a two door Maverick thats for sure. Hell, some of the big US players already make trucks like you're describing(yes, even in the Americas). For Chevy its called the Montana. Theres also the Ute market which are basically perfect vehicles to me. A car based truck like the Holden Commodore is a perfect vehicle. Big engine, rear drive, decent sized bed. They are absolutely awesome and Id buy one in a heartbeat. Theres also a statistically zero chance they would bring them here because they wouldnt sell.

OP
OP

TucsonHooligan

First Name
Rudiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 F100, 68 F250 Camper Special, 64 Falcon
You were all short of 9 paragraphs, but you still hit the bullet points. What are you basing the "1%" on? All the 2-door, standard cab, 6-foot bed trucks on the market today that sell 1 in 100? Name one. And the Ranger is a clown truck. It's for low-rent schlubs who can't afford an F-series minivan with a 3 foot bed. And obviously the sofa was a simple statement on bed size. I don't figure to be hauling much short furniture 52 weekends a year. But you knew that. Modern "trucks" don't haul anything. Be honest, when was the last time you saw one of them haul anything bigger than a Rubbermaid tote filled with the wife's beanie babies collection? You buy a new "truck" because you don't want to admit you tucked your testes by buying a Chevy Blazer and packing it with junior's soccer gear. The "bed" serves no purpose other than subduing your cognitive dissonance. A truck was always meant to be utilitarian. Now, it's the status equivalent of a middle-aged man with hair plugs on a Harley; a way to signal that you still do "man" stuff by hauling a family of 5 and the kids' bicyles with the tailgate down because it won't close with all 3 of them in the bed. Sure, societal changes have driven the direction in the market. But there are still hordes of us out here who want a modern version of the Nissan Hardbody we can use as a daily and for light hauling. Don't make it seem like this scaled-down abomination is anything more than a smaller version of the things I described above. Just tuck it and buy a unibody hatchback already.

Ford Maverick 2-Door, Standard Cab, 6-Foot Bed Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.23.22 AM

Ford Maverick 2-Door, Standard Cab, 6-Foot Bed 2022-Ford-Maverick-Lariat-FX4-Brazil-Exterior-004-Front-Three-Quarters

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford could chop the back off a Transit Connect and and replace it with a pickup bed without incurring tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to design and certify a vehicle. I've seen tv shows on Sunday mornings where they do that kind of work in about two days.

Reactions: Doc

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How would adding a pickup bed to this qualify as a Frankenstein monstrosity?...aside from looking like one?

Ford Maverick 2-Door, Standard Cab, 6-Foot Bed Resized_20210417_082647

Reactions: Doc

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And while we are at it we can yell into the wind about:

Manual Transmissions
Affordable 2 seat sports cars
T-Tops
Roll-down windows
Landau Roofs
Bias ply tires

The market has moved on. The reason they stopped building 2 door compact trucks was because there wasn’t a market demand. The truck you would want would make up less than 1% of the market. Why would a company invest tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to design and certify a vehicle where they will never recover their investment. That’s how dumb companies go out of business.

The only reason we are seeing compact trucks is because they are the future electric trucks. Small vehicles require small battery packs. It’s that simple. My guess is if you don’t like a comfortable small truck, you’ll really hate an electric one.
does anyone have actual data proving that market demand for compact pickups went away? Or was it more likely companies make more profits with the larger vehicles with more and more features in them to appeal to a wider audience- then turn around and claim more sales of the larger loaded up vehicles as proof the market moved on and nobody wants the basic trucks anymore? Why did they continue to make and sell new versions globally?

Ford actually announced they would no longer sell sedans in USA, but needed affordable entry level vehicles to sell- and EcoSport and Maverick are those products. Both have "car like" features and drivablity. Toyota took a different tactic and grew the Tacoma over time, but with same basic utilitarian mission while selling millions of Camrys. Ford & Dodge and Nissan let their compacts wither on the vine with only facelifts to the same basic platforms for more than a decade in USA and emphasized shifting customers to the larger more profitable bigger trucks. I'm not sure I believe compact trucks are returning to simply herald in EV platforms when there's only something like 2-4% of all vehicles sales being EV in America. Probably more about attracting 1st time buyers to the brand and helping to maintain gov't mandated MPG averages across their lineups while still selling tons of their cash cow flagship models and upscale niche vehicles.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You were all short of 9 paragraphs, but you still hit the bullet points. What are you basing the "1%" on? All the 2-door, standard cab, 6-foot bed trucks on the market today that sell 1 in 100? Name one. And the Ranger is a clown truck. It's for low-rent schlubs who can't afford an F-series minivan with a 3 foot bed. And obviously the sofa was a simple statement on bed size. I don't figure to be hauling much short furniture 52 weekends a year. But you knew that. Modern "trucks" don't haul anything. Be honest, when was the last time you saw one of them haul anything bigger than a Rubbermaid tote filled with the wife's beanie babies collection? You buy a new "truck" because you don't want to admit you tucked your testes by buying a Chevy Blazer and packing it with junior's soccer gear. The "bed" serves no purpose other than subduing your cognitive dissonance. A truck was always meant to be utilitarian. Now, it's the status equivalent of a middle-aged man with hair plugs on a Harley; a way to signal that you still do "man" stuff by hauling a family of 5 and the kids' bicyles with the tailgate down because it won't close with all 3 of them in the bed. Sure, societal changes have driven the direction in the market. But there are still hordes of us out here who want a modern version of the Nissan Hardbody we can use as a daily and for light hauling. Don't make it seem like this scaled-down abomination is anything more than a smaller version of the things I described above. Just tuck it and buy a unibody hatchback already.
This forum is for those who are enthusiastic about the new Maverick.

Sponsored

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
4dr short bed works for me. Just want it to haul small utility trailers and the open bed to throw tools or debris. Perfect.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
If you don’t believe that the market doesn’t exist, do some quick research on Wikipedia nad Google and then some simple math. For example:

In 2010 1,632,530 trucks (of all makes and models) were delivered in the United States
In 2010 Ford Delivered 528,349 F-150's
In that same year Ford delivered 55,364 Ranger Pickups
Of all Rangers Delivered in 2010, just under 6,000 were delivered with 2 doors and 6 foot bed (111.6 inch wheelbase).

So that's 0.37% of all truck sales
The Ranger itself made up just 9.4% of of all Ford Pick-up Truck sales
The 2 door Ranger was 1.03 % of all Ford truck sales
The 2 door ranger was about 11% of all Ranger sales.

And the market has moved towards 4-door trucks since that time.

No company with share holders is going to ramp-up to sell 5,000 units per year. Heck Ford abandoned the sedan market because they could "only" deliver 500,000 (300k Fusion & 200k Focus) units per year.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you don’t believe that the market doesn’t exist, do some quick research on Wikipedia nad Google and then some simple math. For example:

In 2010 1,632,530 trucks (of all makes and models) were delivered in the United States
In 2010 Ford Delivered 528,349 F-150's
In that same year Ford delivered 55,364 Ranger Pickups
Of all Rangers Delivered in 2010, just under 6,000 were delivered with 2 doors and 6 foot bed (111.6 inch wheelbase).

So that's 0.37% of all truck sales
The Ranger itself made up just 9.4% of of all Ford Pick-up Truck sales
The 2 door Ranger was 1.03 % of all Ford truck sales
The 2 door ranger was about 11% of all Ranger sales.

And the market has moved towards 4-door trucks since that time.

No company with share holders is going to ramp-up to sell 5,000 units per year. Heck Ford abandoned the sedan market because they could "only" deliver 500,000 (300k Fusion & 200k Focus) units per year.
this is turning into a circular argument like what came 1st, the chicken or the egg? Ford announced 2011 was last production year of that already dated Ranger. That always results in fewer sales as people shift their attention to other vehicles. IMO the adoption of more 4 door trucks is more a function of aggressive marketing and deliberately limiting the options for anything else so people are more easily talked into a more expensive option even if they didn't need it originally. How many families do you know that have ONLY 1 vehicle that by choice happens to be a 4 door mid or full sized truck to meet all their needs? I don't know any and even older couples like my wife and me have more suitable daily drivers along with a Super Cab F150 that just turned 3 years old and barely crossed 10K miles because it's a specialty part time vehicle for us. Different strokes for different folks, but I'd wager there's more folks like us than younger single buyers who insist on nothing but Crew cabs making up the bulk of truck sales.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The market exists but people that buy single cab long beds don’t add high profit “features” like they do on cc trucks so margins are thin to non existent.

have you ever looked at who is buying single cab LB F series? They are rarely the King Ranch, Harley Davidson Platinum type.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And, I want to be able to sleep in the bed. The 6 footer would work nicely for that.
Sponsored