First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A lot of assertions by journalists and other in the industry that two door trucks don't sell anymore. I call BS. For one thing, all those small businesses buying Mavericks for pest control, etc? I betcha they'd gobble up an extended cab Maverick in large numbers. And I pass clones of my two door 2010 Ranger all the time - there are zillions of two-door lovers who are clinging to those old trucks.

Alex On Autos said in one of his videos what somebody posted earlier in this thread. That the real reason we're not seeing the Jeep J6 (a huge hit a Moab) or a two door small truck from any OEM is the perverse incentives in the CAFE rules. Which is why I'm hoping the era of BEVs will bring back the true small truck.

TimmH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
One of the things that keeps cost down, is fewer variations. Keeping the structure the same, makes for easier controlled costs of assembly.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Only if it leads to a 2-door Bronco Sport 🤪
I disagree. A crossover 2door doesnt make a lot sense to me.... The maverick is truck so i get why they could do that.

Yes an extended bed would make it the next great small truck. MPG, more bed space. etc. Hard to beat in 2022

Sponsored

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Sign me up, I've waited before, I can do it again!
Would a 2.3 EB be too much to ask for?

Jville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reactions: fmt

dbmurray

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Escape Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They say there's "no market," but they might be surprised.

I'd certainly buy a true 2-door Maverick if it came with a 6-foot bed...no jump seats behind the front seats or "extended" anything...just a cab and a bed. That's the ideal format for a small pickup, in my opinion.

I remember having a lot of fun driving a little Plymouth Arrow pickup back in the 1980s. Just imagine...a bicycle would fit in the bed with the tailgate shut, and you didn't even have to remove the front tire first.

Sponsored

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They say there's "no market," but they might be surprised.

I'd certainly buy a true 2-door Maverick if it came with a 6-foot bed...no jump seats behind the front seats or "extended" anything...just a cab and a bed. That's the ideal format for a small pickup, in my opinion.

I remember having a lot of fun driving a little Plymouth Arrow pickup back in the 1980s. Just imagine...a bicycle would fit in the bed with the tailgate shut, and you didn't even have to remove the front tire first.
i remember how hot Toyota tacoma 2d extend beds were.. Sold like crazy.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

All white fleet ones
Fleet ones are just about the only F150 standard cabs being sold here.
My dad pointed out every house on his street has a pickup in front of it. Only 2 were single cab and both were fleet trucks brought home from someone's work.
On my street every house has a pickup in front of it or in the driveway, but none of them are single cab pickups.
If more regular cab f150's are not sold soon I would not be surprised to see them dropped. Most of the other models and brands have dropped the single cab.

Last edited:

NoMavyYet

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f250 2002 Ranger
I’m not really a fan of a 2 door (small) truck
Why?
last week, came out of the store with a 1x8x6 in the rain, tried to stuff it in the cab, no-go
In rode home in the rain
02 ranger single cab.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You 4 door guys can say it will never happen, and you may be right. But it wont change the fact that you will never be cool.

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford sells a standard cab Ranger outside the United States. They don't sell it domestically...I suspect because sales of prior Ranger models didn't justify offering that configuration here.

In the early 2000s I bought a standard cab Chevy S10 pickup. I loved the truck but hated the fact that it didn't have any space behind the front seat to keep stuff secure and dry. If I had someone in the passenger seat, there wasn't even space for a gym bag in the cab. I'd previously owned Toyota and Nissan trucks, both with "king cab" configurations. Besides the aforementioned extra storage space that configuration provided, it also allowed for the front seats to recline. Try taking a road trip in a vehicle with non-reclining seats. Not fun. Even though I enjoyed many aspects of the truck, I ended up unloading the S10 because I really hated the limitations of the single-cab design.

I'd have no interest in a standard cab Maverick.
Sponsored