First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the only thing that should be 2 doors is a Vette and a 57 chevy :)
Explains why Ford named the new Mach-E a Mustang, to prepare people for the demise of the 2-door,,,

HRG
Sponsored

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you want a 2 door, get a Ranger :p . By the time you add in 3k for a gas engine and AWD to an XL Maverick, you're already almost up to the price of a base XL Ranger.

OP
OP

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you want a 2 door, get a Ranger :p . By the time you add in 3k for a gas engine and AWD to an XL Maverick, you're already almost up to the price of a base XL Ranger.
Really?
Maverick XL 2.0 AWD = $24,795
Ranger XL SuperCab 4wd = $30,120

over $5K difference is almost?

HRG

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2-door isn't gonna happen. There's practically no demand.
bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy there methinks...

Sponsored

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really?
Maverick XL 2.0 AWD = $24,795
Ranger XL SuperCab 4wd = $30,120

over $5K difference is almost?

HRG
Awesome...you've figured out the Ranger is more expensive than the Maverick. ~slow clap~ I had zero understanding of the pricing structure before you "owned me."

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
It's not going to happen. Certainly not anytime soon. Ford's interest in making the Maverick was to reclaim market share of sedan drivers. They want people (families) to switch to small trucks. While I'm sure a lot of people would like a two door light truck, it wouldn't gain Ford anything. Those people care already buying something.
Sometimes what the manufacturer wants doesn't always come to fruition. The Honda Element was suppose to be the whole young people's, active life style vehicle, all I see is older folks and pooches inside. The Honda and Toyota mini van thing seemed to drift to older people looking for a easy to get into vehicle w/ wide door openings and room for their grand kids. My Wife was casually looking at one until I threatened to cut off her coffee, she bought a basic Outback instead.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
Not only that but I don’t think the current regulations would allow it based on space/gas mileage.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a36697224/ford-maverick-had-to-be-a-hybrid/
I wondered about that too, although it was the Regular cab w/ no extension that was axed due to the formula. Toyota, Nissan, GM & Ford all continued to make 2 door ext. cabs in their small or mid-sized trucks w/o penalty. It would be interesting to plug the numbers in for a ext. cab Maverick and see where they land. If it's close enough, sometime a bumper extension or other projection on the outline could put them in the zone. According to the article in R&T, the manufactures said there was a market for the two door.....I know a lot of retired guys who would love a Ext. cab Maverick, room for a O/N bag, tool box or hunting gear behind the seat and a extra foot of so in the box for trips to the lumberyard. Great mpg, what's not to like?

Last edited:

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I honestly think that the little transit vans have filled a lot of the market that used to be filled by the old ranger and other small single cab trucks. Small contractors, delivery drivers, and repairmen all over use them. Not sure there'd go back to the little pickup with a bed cover at this point, as those vans probably give them better access to all their tools.

So that doesn't leave much market for something like this, which I'm sad to say. A lot of people still like the idea.

Sponsored

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wondered about that too, although it was the Regular cab w/ no extension that was axed due to the formula. Toyota, Nissan, GM & Ford all continued to make 2 door ext. cabs in their small or mid-sized trucks. It would be interesting to plug the numbers in for a ext. cab Maverick and see where they land. If it's close enough, sometime a bumper extension or other projection on the outline could put them in the zone. According to the article in R&T, the manufactures said there was a market for the two door.....I know a lot of retired guys who would love a Ext. cab Maverick, room for a O/N bag, tool box or hunting gear behind the seat and a extra foot of so in the box for trips to the lumberyard. Great mpg, what's not to like?
Yes, maybe the extended, given the formula and MPG. I only do financial math. lol

We likely would have gone for an extended over the crewcab if given the choice, and we are younger. No kids and don’t need much space back there, but I wouldn’t do a regular cab. I think the thing is that most people would still like 4-doors for the option. I dunno if residual value is affected on those extended cabs or not.

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

So if we want something smaller, we should buy something bigger?

As far as it being "allowed", a supercab with with a longer bed would be the same size as the crewcab with shorter bed...same footprint.

(It comes down to how the government calculates fuel economy targets for light trucks. It’s a convoluted and somewhat contradictory voodoo formula that applies different efficiency standards to vehicles based upon their “footprint.” )

I'll agree, the crewcab will sell ten times what the supercab would produce here in the states, but worldwide I bet it would be very popular.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
So if we want something smaller, we should buy something bigger?

As far as it being "allowed", a supercab with with a longer bed would be the same size as the crewcab with shorter bed...same footprint.

(It comes down to how the government calculates fuel economy targets for light trucks. It’s a convoluted and somewhat contradictory voodoo formula that applies different efficiency standards to vehicles based upon their “footprint.” )

I'll agree, the crewcab will sell ten times what the supercab would produce here in the states, but worldwide I bet it would be very popular.
Those fuel efficiency requirements were likely a big part of why we lost the compact pickup truck segment to begin with. When they came into effect suddenly all the compact trucks became midsize.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sometimes what the manufacturer wants doesn't always come to fruition. The Honda Element was suppose to be the whole young people's, active life style vehicle, all I see is older folks and pooches inside. The Honda and Toyota mini van thing seemed to drift to older people looking for a easy to get into vehicle w/ wide door openings and room for their grand kids. My Wife was casually looking at one until I threatened to cut off her coffee, she bought a basic Outback instead.
One problem with the Element was that it was a practical vehicle...it sold well for several years (50-60k annually for the first several years). The problem was a combination of Honda's resale, and the buying segment generally being practical types who don't buy cars that often! Once the buyer pool was drained, the sales dropped. At that point, instead of trying to push the line in the same direction, Honda tried to make the Element a normal SUV - one that the original buyers were no longer interested in, eventually tanking the model.

I happened to have loved the Element...owned 3 of them at various points over the years (ok, I go through vehicles faster than I care to admit...it is my single financial flaw...). Almost as versatile as a pickup - that thing swallowed a 5 foot loveseat with the gate closed. 2 mountain bikes in the back on a floor fork mount, gate closed - no problem with that either!

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
One problem with the Element was that it was a practical vehicle...it sold well for several years (50-60k annually for the first several years). The problem was a combination of Honda's resale, and the buying segment generally being practical types who don't buy cars that often! Once the buyer pool was drained, the sales dropped. At that point, instead of trying to push the line in the same direction, Honda tried to make the Element a normal SUV - one that the original buyers were no longer interested in, eventually tanking the model.

I happened to have loved the Element...owned 3 of them at various points over the years (ok, I go through vehicles faster than I care to admit...it is my single financial flaw...). Almost as versatile as a pickup - that thing swallowed a 5 foot loveseat with the gate closed. 2 mountain bikes in the back on a floor fork mount, gate closed - no problem with that either!
Yep, my Son owed (2) of them and the vehicle is very versatile, he is a avid hunter, said the size of the Element allowed him to get down into areas a full size truck could not. He could put a downed deer in the back on a tarp and just wipe everything down when he made it home. I've heard rumors of a return although I believe Honda changed the platform it was built on and it would involve a complete redesign. Actually the Bronco Sport kinda reminds me of the Element a bit, I guess everything makes it full circle.
Sponsored