First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With 8.6" of ground clearance, I'm sure I could slide under for the filter swap, same as with my Ram.
Hopefully they don't use a under body air deflector with no ports on it like the Escape. Every time you change the oil you have to remove like ten fasteners under the vehicle. Makes you wonder if someone sells a filter relocation kit, or failing that modify the air deflector to cut a hole in it by the filter that you can just cover and uncover quickly.
After seeing the under-engine deflector on both my '18 Escape and '19 Edge, I've retired from doing my own oil changes.

HRG
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You know to maximize mileage it has an underbody air deflector 😊
Yeah, sometimes when they have an air deflector, they include flaps just big enough to reach the oil filter and drain plug, so you don't have to remove the whole deflector.

So I was curious "maybe they fixed it on the Bronco Sport" and searched youtube and the big Bronco (not sport) came up. This is a nightmare, lol! Not only do you have to also unbolt a plate, but the oil drain plug is horizontal instead of vertical, so when the oil first comes out it shoots a few feet out to the passenger side and then you have to move your catch can as the pressure goes down, probably splashing everywhere, and then to get to the filter you have to have long yet skinny arms and snake it through and its also horizontal so oil goes all over the place dripping on components below.

I think the only one I've seen worse than a Bronco was a BMW SUV where it was basically impossible not to get oil all over your suspension on every oil change without the use of a disposable towel, lol! Looks like the Bronco Sport isn't quite so bad, but does have the same issue where they want you to take all ten or twelve fasteners off the air deflector to do an oil change. I'd definitely modify that, just cut a circle out, glue two tabs on one of the tabs with a nut glued on and one tab you slot in and the other you'd screw in so then its only two screws:

mavhopefull

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting that the Motor Oil Weight is 5W30. Not the thinner oils 0W20 etc. that has caused so many issues.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
People wash their engines? How does that work?
There are numerous videos on YouTube and such that go over the process, some that take more precautionary measures than others.

As for myself, I just go to the local DIY car wash. Pop the hood. Use the low pressure ("spot free rinse") function to get everything wet. Take the foam brush and do a couple light passes over most of the flat spots (intake manifold, top of the battery, fuse panel covers, radiator hoses, air box, etc). Unless I'm detailing for a car show, I don't bother using a smaller brush. The water and soap suds dripping down from the top will lift enough of the dirt and debris off the hard-to-reach areas.

Gently scrub the underside of the hood. Use the low pressure setting to rinse off the engine until all the soap suds are gone. Use the air dryer to dry off the bigger pools of water and around the spark plug coil packs. Use tire foam or any number of Armor All type products on the black plastics and rubber hoses.

I don't take too many precautionary measures as you can probably tell. Haven't had a problem yet. My philosophy is that the engine compartment gets sprayed with dirty water whenever you drive in the rain. So everything in there can get wet without issue. I just avoid using high-pressure water so that water doesn't end up where it shouldn't be.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I'd definitely modify that, just cut a circle out, glue two tabs on one of the tabs with a nut glued on and one tab you slot in and the other you'd screw in so then its only two screws:
Yea thats what I did for my brothers Fusion. Had to take the whole undercover off to change the oil, what a pain.

I definitely plan on cutting out some flaps if the Maverick has the same setup.

Sponsored

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
There are numerous videos on YouTube and such that go over the process, some that take more precautionary measures than others.

As for myself, I just go to the local DIY car wash. Pop the hood. Use the low pressure ("spot free rinse") function to get everything wet. Take the foam brush and do a couple light passes over most of the flat spots (intake manifold, top of the battery, fuse panel covers, radiator hoses, air box, etc). Unless I'm detailing for a car show, I don't bother using a smaller brush. The water and soap suds dripping down from the top will lift enough of the dirt and debris off the hard-to-reach areas.

Gently scrub the underside of the hood. Use the low pressure setting to rinse off the engine until all the soap suds are gone. Use the air dryer to dry off the bigger pools of water and around the spark plug coil packs. Use tire foam or any number of Armor All type products on the black plastics and rubber hoses.

I don't take too many precautionary measures as you can probably tell. Haven't had a problem yet. My philosophy is that the engine compartment gets sprayed with dirty water whenever you drive in the rain. So everything in there can get wet without issue. I just avoid using high-pressure water so that water doesn't end up where it shouldn't be.

I'm sure you'll refute this but in general washing your engine is a bad idea. Too much risk of getting water in sensors, computer chips or components. Also unnecessary. But I guess it's a way of life for you so you do you lol.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I'm sure you'll refute this but in general washing your engine is a bad idea. Too much risk of getting water in sensors, computer chips or components. Also unnecessary. But I guess it's a way of life for you so you do you lol.
A lot of others would refute it, too.
It's not something I do but I've known waaaaaaay too many people that have done this TONS of times without incident to blanketly say "it's a bad idea". As "notfast" mentioned, avoiding high pressure is the key.

With anything in life, there is risk. But the risk here, if precautions are taken, isn't too terribly high, IMO.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I'm sure you'll refute this but in general washing your engine is a bad idea. Too much risk of getting water in sensors, computer chips or components. Also unnecessary.
You're going really out on a far-reaching limb saying "in general washing your engine is a bad idea". Again, all those sensors, computer chips, and other underhood components are designed to take a spray of water. The engine isn't in a sealed, weatherproof compartment. If you drive in the rain, the low pressure area created under the hood will suck in water through any gap and spray it all over the place.

I suppose if you only drive your car on the street in good weather, park in a garage, and drive frequently, then you could safely avoid washing the engine for as long as you own the vehicle.

But if you drive off road where mud, sand, gravel, dirt, and debris can get sprayed all over the engine, or if you store the car outside or in a barn where dirt and dust can blow in and settle, or drive in snowy weather, or drive in dusty conditions, you'd do more harm encapsulating the engine in all that crap than the small chance of damaging something with a low-pressure wash.

Even if you only drive on the street, the engine will still accumulate fine dirt and dust. Sealants and greases will eventually melt and drip, allowing dust and dirt to stick. Heck even my bicycle gets "road grime" on the forks and the top tube.

A clean engine also makes it (really) easy to spot small problems before they turn into bigger ones. It's really easy to see defects in hoses, pipes, fasteners, bearings, bushings, foam parts, and belts that are clean. It's also easier to figure out where a fluid is leaking from when parts are clean, since it leaves a trail. Fluid leaks on dirty engines cause a large, dirt-caked stain with no specific origin.

It's not something I do but I've known waaaaaaay too many people that have done this TONS of times without incident to blanketly say "it's a bad idea". As "notfast" mentioned, avoiding high pressure is the key.
I absolutely agree. I used to detail cars for a living and had hundreds of repeat, happy clients. I would hope that I was doing something right.

Texchappy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MINI Cooper S cabrio, 2014 Lincoln Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

With anything in life, there is risk. But the risk here, if precautions are taken, isn't too terribly high, IMO.
Refute! Inside modern motors you’re less likely to water damage components than old vehicles. Those sensors and ecm’s are sealed.
Also, as mentioned, a clean engine is easier to spot leaks and issues. That dirt you aren’t removing will ultimately cause more damage than the water. Even pressure isn’t that horrible as long as you’re not holding the tip of a pressure washer against your alternator or a seal.

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Man that turbo is jammed back there. It's gonna be a doozy to replace it. Luckily the turbos in my 2010 Flex lasted 150,000 miles, and that was when they first started putting turbos on their engines. I would hope by now the technology/longevity is even better.

Sponsored

Dieseltech

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape 2.0 turbo. 07 Fusion, 07 Gmc SierraZ71
Yeah, sometimes when they have an air deflector, they include flaps just big enough to reach the oil filter and drain plug, so you don't have to remove the whole deflector.

So I was curious "maybe they fixed it on the Bronco Sport" and searched youtube and the big Bronco (not sport) came up. This is a nightmare, lol! Not only do you have to also unbolt a plate, but the oil drain plug is horizontal instead of vertical, so when the oil first comes out it shoots a few feet out to the passenger side and then you have to move your catch can as the pressure goes down, probably splashing everywhere, and then to get to the filter you have to have long yet skinny arms and snake it through and its also horizontal so oil goes all over the place dripping on components below.

I think the only one I've seen worse than a Bronco was a BMW SUV where it was basically impossible not to get oil all over your suspension on every oil change without the use of a disposable towel, lol! Looks like the Bronco Sport isn't quite so bad, but does have the same issue where they want you to take all ten or twelve fasteners off the air deflector to do an oil change. I'd definitely modify that, just cut a circle out, glue two tabs on one of the tabs with a nut glued on and one tab you slot in and the other you'd screw in so then its only two screws:
My wife had a 07 BMW 328is, I know about the oil messes and air deflector disasters. I had a customer with a late model 2 wheel drive Blazer V6, 15 minutes on the oil service. It would take an hour to clean up the oil that would shoot out four feet from the truck. Our Escape and Fusion is a walk through the park.

Dieseltech

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape 2.0 turbo. 07 Fusion, 07 Gmc SierraZ71
I've seen a many LS 5.3 get washed, the water pools under the intake and shorts out the 2 knock sensors, beware: it's not an easy or quick fix. Been there, done that.

Leadphinger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman (SOLD)
I've seen a many LS 5.3 get washed, the water pools under the intake and shorts out the 2 knock sensors, beware: it's not an easy or quick fix. Been there, done that.
GM product so I'm not at all surprised. Horror show of inside jokes and hidden gotcha's that has had me bleeding Ford blue for 30 years.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
GM product so I'm not at all surprised. Horror show of inside jokes and hidden gotcha's that has had me bleeding Ford blue for 30 years.
Don't even get me started on the Optisparks on LT1s. :LOL:
Sponsored