Sponsored

2.0 Ecoboost Engine: Have the old problems been solved?

Thoron99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Never had a car with direct injection yet, would Seafoam cleaner through the intake work for that? I’ve seen videos on YouTube of it removing cylinder carbon deposits.
Sponsored

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Putting "cleaner" into your fuel will not likely have much effect on cleaning the intake tract. There is no fuel delivered into the intake manifold/intake port in head. All delivered through the direct to cylinder injection system. There IS some reversion of combustion products that get back into the intake port ( where the carbon comes from ) so fuel additives might have some effect due to that.
IMO, this is more of a cry of WOLF than a real problem. 3.5 Ecoboost with over 160K on it with no issues.

OP
OP
Bill Quattlebaum

Bill Quattlebaum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Putting "cleaner" into your fuel will not likely have much effect on cleaning the intake tract. There is no fuel delivered into the intake manifold/intake port in head. All delivered through the direct to cylinder injection system. There IS some reversion of combustion products that get back into the intake port ( where the carbon comes from ) so fuel additives might have some effect due to that.
IMO, this is more of a cry of WOLF than a real problem. 3.5 Ecoboost with over 160K on it with no issues.
I hope it is a cry of wolf. I have read about carbon buildup problems on the 1st generation ecoboost engines. Hopefully, this 2nd generation engine is better built.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I don't see anything in your vehicle section that would have a 3.5 Ecoboost, what vehicle is it that you've made it 160k without issues?

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since I don't see anything in your vehicle section that would have a 3.5 Ecoboost, what vehicle is it that you've made it 160k without issues?
You can only add so many "vehicles" under the avatar. But if you are going to lose sleep over it, pencil in a 2011 Ford F-150 FX-4 Supercab...........

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can only add so many "vehicles" under the avatar. But if you are going to lose sleep over it, pencil in a 2011 Ford F-150 FX-4 Supercab...........
I asked a simple and relevant to the thread topic question, not sure why it warranted a snarky response.......

Dodeboost

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is my third 2.0 Ecoboost. Ford has made many improvements to the design over the years and I think the latest iteration should prove to be pretty reliable especially when it comes to head gasket issues. That being said, I've had good reliability out of both of my previous 2.0 ecoboost motors I think in part due to not paying attention to factory service intervals and instead using Used Oil Analyses to figure out an interval that worked best for my driving habits and the engine. The 2.0 does NOT have secondary port injection like other Ecoboost motors do so carbon buildup on the valves is going to be a thing. If not cleaned they will cause issues with the motor, ie possible compression issues or poor performance due to restricted air flow. I settled on cleaning the valves via walnut shell blasting every 30k miles and I was surprised how much gunk would build up on the valves in that relatively short amount of time. I also had a very high quality catch can on both previous motors and it did not seem to help with carbon build up on the valves so this time around I'm skipping the catch can to see if it's worse without. Lastly, these motors love fresh, clean, high quality synthetic oil and will not do well with extended oil changes. That's a point of argument here but I'll stick to what works for me.
Did you have oil build up in the intercooler on either of your 2 previous ecoboosts? After reading the Buschur threads that’s the main reason I’m adding catch cans.
Sponsored