Focus 2.0 is NOT the same engine as the Ecoboost 2.0

Coast Beaver

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Subaru Outback
I have seen several posts saying that the Ford Focus 2.0 is the same engine as the ecoboost 2.0. It is NOT. The Focus 2.0 was a Mazda engine (I owned one). The ecoboost is a completely different Ford engine!
Sponsored

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
and after the debacle with the idiotic design Ford did when they took the reigns caused tons of issues with coolant leaking into the cylinders.

heres hoping they got the 2019+ version right

Limeymav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, maverick Azur Blue, 2015 Focus st 3, GSX S 750
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
and after the debacle with the idiotic design Ford did when they took the reigns caused tons of issues with coolant leaking into the cylinders.

heres hoping they got the 2019+ version right
That was the 2.3 motor Mustang /Rs, not a desgn fault, installing wrong head gaskets on wrong motors

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That was the 2.3 motor Mustang /Rs, not a desgn fault, installing wrong head gaskets on wrong motors
That isn't what he is referring to. He is refering to the coolant slots they cut in-between the cylinders for coolant transfer. Those caused coolant intrusion on 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.3 eco motors. The head gasket deal was totally separate.

Sponsored

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yes tons of failures on those eco boosts. Head gasket failures. My daughters 2017 escape hydro locked and coughed up a motor at 50000 miles. Warranted with a new design long block from 2020 fusion. Yes definitely a design failure. At least it was covered under 5/60 power train warranty. Fordtechmakeuloco has a video explaining what goes wrong on these years

Last edited:

SaintCowboy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have seen several posts saying that the Ford Focus 2.0 is the same engine as the ecoboost 2.0. It is NOT. The Focus 2.0 was a Mazda engine (I owned one). The ecoboost is a completely different Ford engine!
Focus st bud

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Focus st bud
The original post is pretty old but technically it was used in the second gen focus prior, then it was known as the duratec 2.0. That motor was the result of a collaboration with Mazda (which is why it was so good) and then when Ford debuted the 2.0 Ecoboost it was based on that 2.0 duratec I believe with their own cylinder head. That Ford designed cylinder head has been the source of the majority of problems with the 2.0 Ecoboost but I believe they finally have it sorted with the version that's in the Maverick. I believe whoever made that comment was referencing the 2.0 duratec which actually has a ton in common with the 2.0 Ecoboost
Sponsored