Sponsored

2.0 Ecoboost Engine: Have the old problems been solved?

Bill Quattlebaum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have ordered a 2023 Maverick on 9/20/22. My original order was for the Hybrid XL, but it has been changed to the Ecoboost. Have the carbon buildup issues been resolved? I would like to know what others feel about the 2.0 engine and how often they are having it serviced.

I am a new member from South Carolina. I am 71 years young and retired. I presently drive a 2010 Ranger XLT regular cab with the 6 foot bed. It has the 2.3 engine and less than 68,000 miles. I have owned many of the Rangers over the years.
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's my understanding it's been redesigned somewhat from the older version with Mazda/Ford. Think there may still be some concern with the carbon. Keep it serviced well and I've read owners having like 200,000 miles? We'll see, this is the first EcoBoost I've ever owned. From what I've learned, use Tier 1 service station gas brands and change the oil and oil filter every 5,000 miles MAX, forget what the manual says.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Search the Forum there are threads and posts galore on this subject.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is my third 2.0 Ecoboost. Ford has made many improvements to the design over the years and I think the latest iteration should prove to be pretty reliable especially when it comes to head gasket issues. That being said, I've had good reliability out of both of my previous 2.0 ecoboost motors I think in part due to not paying attention to factory service intervals and instead using Used Oil Analyses to figure out an interval that worked best for my driving habits and the engine. The 2.0 does NOT have secondary port injection like other Ecoboost motors do so carbon buildup on the valves is going to be a thing. If not cleaned they will cause issues with the motor, ie possible compression issues or poor performance due to restricted air flow. I settled on cleaning the valves via walnut shell blasting every 30k miles and I was surprised how much gunk would build up on the valves in that relatively short amount of time. I also had a very high quality catch can on both previous motors and it did not seem to help with carbon build up on the valves so this time around I'm skipping the catch can to see if it's worse without. Lastly, these motors love fresh, clean, high quality synthetic oil and will not do well with extended oil changes. That's a point of argument here but I'll stick to what works for me.

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Big problem was coolant leaking into cylinder. That was redesigned . Carbon build up is still a problem with all ecoboost engines

Sponsored

cj99x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM Power Wagon, 2022 Maverick XLT AWD RHCP
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Carbon buildup is an issue with DI engine design. There is nothing coming through the ports to "clean" the port or valves. Service is the key

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have ordered a 2023 Maverick on 9/20/22. My original order was for the Hybrid XL, but it has been changed to the Ecoboost. Have the carbon buildup issues been resolved? I would like to know what others feel about the 2.0 engine and how often they are having it serviced.

I am a new member from South Carolina. I am 71 years young and retired. I presently drive a 2010 Ranger XLT regular cab with the 6 foot bed. It has the 2.3 engine and less than 68,000 miles. I have owned many of the Rangers over the years.
This is my first 2.0 Ecoboost. Since it is a direct injection engine carbon will build up over time. @OleFordGuy gave great advice to limit the degree of buildup.

My 2020 F-150 has the 3.5 liter multi-port fuel injected Ecoboost engine which should never have this issue.

Prior to that I've had two F-150 (2009 and 2013) with DI 3.5 Ecoboost engines. Both went over 100k miles with no issues before I traded them.

It's how well you maintain them that counts.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This is my third 2.0 Ecoboost. Ford has made many improvements to the design over the years and I think the latest iteration should prove to be pretty reliable especially when it comes to head gasket issues. That being said, I've had good reliability out of both of my previous 2.0 ecoboost motors I think in part due to not paying attention to factory service intervals and instead using Used Oil Analyses to figure out an interval that worked best for my driving habits and the engine. The 2.0 does NOT have secondary port injection like other Ecoboost motors do so carbon buildup on the valves is going to be a thing. If not cleaned they will cause issues with the motor, ie possible compression issues or poor performance due to restricted air flow. I settled on cleaning the valves via walnut shell blasting every 30k miles and I was surprised how much gunk would build up on the valves in that relatively short amount of time. I also had a very high quality catch can on both previous motors and it did not seem to help with carbon build up on the valves so this time around I'm skipping the catch can to see if it's worse without. Lastly, these motors love fresh, clean, high quality synthetic oil and will not do well with extended oil changes. That's a point of argument here but I'll stick to what works for me.
What is the process and cost for this walnut shell blasting? Is this something you do for yourself, or have done at a local repair shop?

FordDiehard

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Welcome to the MTC forums.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is the process and cost for this walnut shell blasting? Is this something you do for yourself, or have done at a local repair shop?
I've recently read it costs around $500 for the walnut shell blasting. With the "inflation" story... might want to get a quote from Ford;).

Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've recently read it costs around $500 for the walnut shell blasting. With the "inflation" story... might want to get a quote from Ford;).
I wonder, if one had the Ford ESP Premium extended warranty, if that is something that would be covered if necessary.

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have a xlt ecoboost and must admit it runs pretty good.of course i dont know about carbon buildup .just take care of it like us 71 year old people have been doing since our first car.change oil and filter every 3000 miles.i have changed over to 10 w 30 synthetic oil .the head gasket problem has been fixed.alot of changes on newer trucks that drove me crazy so read the owners manual if you run into a setting problems.i would get rid of the run start junk but otherwise i really like it.well worth the wait

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wrote a long winded response which somehow disappeared. I do it myself. I use a hand held gravity fed harbor freight media blaster which I altered by designing and 3d printing a nozzle that could hold a roughly 8" piece of 1/8" ID aluminum pipe to get down into the intake port. It works very well. If you found an independent shop to do it I'm assuming they'd charge you at minimum a few hundred dollars. The last I knew this is NOT a Ford authorized service procedure for some reason even though other manufacturers do have walnut shell blasting procedures in place to clean intake valves. Ford's brilliant solution is to remove the cylinder head, remove each valve and then clean them individually. More money in service department pockets maybe? Who knows......

Ford Maverick 2.0 Ecoboost Engine:  Have the old problems been solved? HF HH Media Blaster

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a xlt ecoboost and must admit it runs pretty good.of course i dont know about carbon buildup .just take care of it like us 71 year old people have been doing since our first car.change oil and filter every 3000 miles.i have changed over to 10 w 30 synthetic oil .the head gasket problem has been fixed.alot of changes on newer trucks that drove me crazy so read the owners manual if you run into a setting problems.i would get rid of the run start junk but otherwise i really like it.well worth the wait
The problem with this train of thought and old school thinking is that port injection used to spray gasoline directly onto your intake valves. Now with direct injection, fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder meaning the intake valves never get fuel on them which is what keeps them clean. Blow by gasses cause oil and other gunk to deposit on the valves and then burn into carbon. Eventually this can cause a misfire. No amount of fuel injection cleaner will ever help since that will be directly injected into the cylinders. Not even a good old regular Italian tune up is enough to burn the carbon build up off the valves unfortunately.
Sponsored