Sponsored

1up bike rack installed

LiHingLucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
Can anybody weigh in on the SuperDuty 1UP rack being in the down position? Can the tailgate come all the way down? I see the Equip-D can but it's close and need to be cautious so you don't dent the tailgate. Looks like the SuperDuty is 0.6" higher in the down position than the Equip-D, so I'm guessing it's gonna be a no. 😕
I didn't even consider this to be a problem. Crap.
My 1Up is about 10 years old (or more) so I'm going to have got check. I also have a KUAT and I'll need to test them both. Thanks for the heads up on this as something to look out for. That would have sucked.
Sponsored

Doug Wildman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick 1up bike rack installed A1678F2F-2A4A-4426-A9AB-7074381A5FAA

Why not in the bed?

LGRW_GoGRG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A1678F2F-2A4A-4426-A9AB-7074381A5FAA.jpeg

Why not in the bed?
Tried this similar setup, but I have a 65 pound ebike (~56 pounds w/o battery) and since it has 3 inch tires, struggling to find a capable fork mount. Even with it tied down, it was very risky with swaying. Think I'm stuck with a 1Up or Hollywood Rack at this point.

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't even consider this to be a problem. Crap.
My 1Up is about 10 years old (or more) so I'm going to have got check. I also have a KUAT and I'll need to test them both. Thanks for the heads up on this as something to look out for. That would have sucked.
Kuat NV has same interference issue. I'm currently debating putting a hitch extender or lowering adapter on the remedy, though I don't like either option.

There's another thread where someone successfully mounted one of the One Up models without interference

LGRW_GoGRG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Kuat NV has same interference issue. I'm currently debating putting a hitch extender or lowering adapter on the remedy, though I don't like either option.

There's another thread where someone successfully mounted one of the One Up models without interference
Yeah, it's honestly for me not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to lay the tailgate flat even with the bike rack at it's lowest point. Not interested in lowering the hitch adapter either.

Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A1678F2F-2A4A-4426-A9AB-7074381A5FAA.jpeg

Why not in the bed?
That looks like the bike won't clear a hard roll-up cover. I was wondering about that. Might be a problem for me as I consider a cover essential in snow country.

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve done a bunch of work on this. Extensions can work to get the rack far enough out to clear the tailgate, but then the thing is mega in the way. An extension plus swing arm can work, but then you’ve got a LOT of crap back there, too. A drop extension also works but still is gonna put the thing kinda far back.

I bought one of these:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/add-on-hitch-adapter

That lets you use the add-on 1up trays *as* the rack and doesn’t fold. It also interferes with the tailgate, but with a short extension can work okay. But I’m having some side plates custom made for the hitch adapter that drops the whole mounting surface straight down about 6”. They’re almost done, but with that I should be able to have one tray on there and lower my tailgate over it without interference *and* my gate will fully cover it when down, letting me sit on the gate and change shoes and whatnot without the rack being in my way. You can’t fold the rack up, but I won’t really care.

There’s no way to do a receiver drop that doesn’t *also* extend some, and when you do that you’ll also end up with a pretty low blob of stuff to maybe scrape in some situations. Lowering just the rack side plates will lower things, but not nearly as much as a receiver drop will.

Those plates are gonna be pretty expensive, though, and really only make sense if you already have a big investment in 1up stuff. I’ll try to remember to post pics when it’s all done.

LDProductions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Escape
I have a Kuat Transfer. Haven’t had a chance to mount it yet, but hoping that the tailgate will clear in the low position. I’ll post the results when I get a chance.

I also have an EVOC half size pad on the way and some fork mounts kicking around that I’ll experiment with in the bed with the 2x6 option.

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New custom side plates let the rack sit under the tailgate completely:

Ford Maverick 1up bike rack installed 51985554912_b6ee28b64b_b
Untitled by djb_rh, on Flickr

Doesn’t fold, but I don’t care. It’s so much more out of the way and really doesn’t seem even close to being any kind of a dragging hazard.

Ford Maverick 1up bike rack installed 51986850689_87d36025fd_b

Ford Maverick 1up bike rack installed 51985554922_83f05d6a56_b

—Donnie

LDProductions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Escape
I'll post a picture shortly, but I can confirm that the Kuat Transfer 1 will clear the tailgate with the cables in the upper position, both with a bike and without a bike, but just barely. There's maybe half an inch of clearance. No chance in the lower position.

Sponsored

SeanBonham

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll post a picture shortly, but I can confirm that the Kuat Transfer 1 will clear the tailgate with the cables in the upper position, both with a bike and without a bike, but just barely. There's maybe half an inch of clearance. No chance in the lower position.
Please do. I should have my truck soon. Trying to land on a 1 bike hitch rack that will work.

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What good is that, though? It’s not like you can sit on it that way. Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I think you’re talking about with the tailgate setup in the “plywood hauling” position? At a 45* or so angle, right?

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Put on my 1up bike rack and went on my first MTB ride with the Maverick

6D5B7F9E-B741-489E-B9B1-85CA192C9649.jpeg
Looks great. 1UP makes the best bicycle racks in my opinion.

LDProductions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Escape
What good is that, though? It’s not like you can sit on it that way. Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I think you’re talking about with the tailgate setup in the “plywood hauling” position? At a 45* or so angle, right?
Wow, no need to be hostile about it. I’m just reporting back on how it fit and that there was some clearance in that upper position.

It’s not ideal to not be able to fully lower the tailgate, but it’s better than not being able to open it at all, only to forget, open it and dent the truck in the process.

I had the Kuat on my old car and installed it on the Maverick, didn’t want to buy a new rack if I didn’t have to. Will probably grab the Kuat extender/lowering adapter to see if I can get more clearance.
Sponsored