Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Waste of time, sure a little height might help but they aren't going to add lockers and without that it's just a lifted Maverick at a premium price. Better to spend on a Bronco or Gladiator with lockers if you plan to off-road. It's going to be as expensive as the Frontier I bet and less capable.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
I noticed another interesting thing. What appears to be cables coming from the black box on door is a cleverly disguised cooling system for the battery pack in the back seat. First if all, no electrician would use metal clamps on high voltage cables. Second, you can see the hoses running to the front of the truck to get cooling from the engine during this test. I believe the engine will disappear the closer they get to the full EV version. Just an educated opinion, nothing solid.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-30.jpg

I'm going with a PHEV AWD system.

The black box on the side looks like it supports both Level 1 and Level 2 charging ports. (2 different wires of different sizes)

Also, we know that there are PHEV versions of the Escape and Corsair that already exist...
https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/escape/models/escape-se-plug-in-hybrid/
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-suvs/corsair/models/grand-touring/

...and there seems to be a PHEV Bronco Sport in development (Bound to incldue AWD for sure)
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/spotted-ford-bronco-sport-hybrid-here-soon/

A PHEV AWD maverick would make the most sense.

My predictions:

1) It will be the MOST EXPENSIVE model made yet. Some people will balk at the price. I'm going to assume $45k-$50k. Ford still wants to sell to these people though so they're hoping that the government tax credit will help. Ford is already greasing the wheels on this.
https://fordauthority.com/2022/06/ford-officially-calls-on-congress-to-eliminate-ev-tax-credit-cap

2) Even though it will be the most expensive model, it will sell out immediately. Not in the first month.. probably within the first 48-72 hours.
When the Maverick was released in Brazil, they sold out in 24 hours.
I think many of the first year buyers were torn between fuel efficiency and off-road capability. If you can have both in one package, people will line up.

1655409482633.png
Those look like hoses. There are hose clamps and a coupling.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ooooooo if it’s what I think it is and what everyone else thinks this will be a hit!
Nah, its not what you think it is.

I couldn't resist. The :devilish: made me do it.

Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Waste of time, sure a little height might help but they aren't going to add lockers and without that it's just a lifted Maverick at a premium price. Better to spend on a Bronco or Gladiator with lockers if you plan to off-road. It's going to be as expensive as the Frontier I bet and less capable.
The off-road front bumper/valance would be a game changer- The current versions low hanging front intercooler/valance/bumper aren't going to like being offroad-

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My wild speculation.

A super interesting design would be if Ford took the Magna axle approach. That would be to have an EcoBoost engine up front in FWD mode, with an all new electric back axle connected to a battery. That gives AWD without any need to transfer power from front to rear. Magna provides a rear axle that drops right in and does this.

Imagine the power this thing would have. 350+ HP? Given the skid plates and the lift kit, I don't think this is a prototype aiming at particularly high fuel economy. This is all about being a bad-a--.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/magna-ebeam-axle-ev-truck/
I have been wondering for years why they dont use axles like that on FWDs and wheel hub motors on RWDs to make every damn car on the road hybrid AWD. With as much paltform sharing as there has been in the last 50 years regarding suspension design, you would only need about 40 adapter kits to increase the range, efficiency, and traction(safety). I think its a conspiracy between big oil and whoever makes that hourly repair rate book that local mechanics use to stick it to ya. They are also the people who killed AMC who innovated the modern era of cars with a efficient AWD crossover called the Eagle.

As for this truck, great if its AWD hybrid or just a offroad package that has better angles and gear. If its the later I hope the bumpers, skids, and Bronco diff fit my FX4.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
F me- I knew the Rattler/AWD/Hybrid would come out as soon as we took delivery :)
I’d think about upgrading, but I realize the maverick is more expensive now than when I bought my truck, so I’ll probably not be able to justify the higher price of future mavericks (especially an awd version). I’ll leave it to those in the midwest who need it more than I do.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The concept Frontier versions Nissan showed off had some awesome retro off-road versions. I hope they put them into production. (though a base Frontier is over my budget at $30000+, so a special off-road one would never happen)

But hey, the more Maverick variants the better!

Sponsored

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
100% its an ecoboost it has a front mount intercooler

Ln42

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any idea on what the ‘Fuel Drain’ thing beneath the rear bumper is? Looks kind of like a quick release valve? Someone else here likely knows better… Looks like it’s off, what ever it is. Also, couldn’t see the stickers well on the black box thing with the hoses. Be easier to tell what it was if anyone recognized the logos from the stickers.