Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
I wonder how many additional MPGs the tonneau cover provides. I imagine the reduction in drag adds efficiency...
Watch the old episode of Mythbusters. I believe they found pickups are most efficient with no cover as the airflow is factored in. It almost creates a "bubble" of air that pushes the air over the tailgate. The cover just allows the air to dump right on top of the cover, create downforce, and increase drag, almost like a spoiler. Of course a lot has changed since the early 2000s and modern aerodynamics could be much different. I miss that show...

Edit: I should edit this for everyone not reading all the pages of the thread. Turns out I was mixing up multiple Mythbusters episodes. A cover is more efficient than no cover at all, however tailgate up is more efficient than tailgate down or a mesh tailgate due to the bubble effect I mentioned.
Sponsored

Last edited:

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Watch the old episode of Mythbusters. I believe they found pickups are most efficient with no cover as the airflow is factored in. It almost creates a "bubble" of air that pushes the air over the tailgate. The cover just allows the air to dump right on top of the cover, create downforce, and increase drag, almost like a spoiler. Of course a lot has changed since the early 2000s and modern aerodynamics could be much different. I miss that show...
That show was also wrong a lot

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Okay I really haven’t studied up on hybrids, I’m an old fart and staying with the gasoline power only. I ordered the EB. Thanks to those that kind enough to straightened me out on the workings of a hybrid.
To you others the smart asses…..piss off!

Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What ruin? That they were not infallible?
I meant don't ruin the nostalgia of it... like meeting your favorite celebrity or sports hero to find out they're a horrible person.

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ordered in August. Originally scheduled for Sep. 20 (this was after an XLT order never got scheduled; still waiting on that). Window sticker with MPG posted today.

More context: I ordered an XLT in June. After waiting a long time, I ordered an XL from a different dealer in August, planning to take whichever comes first. I ordered a bed liner for the XL but somehow it didn't get included on the order, and I didn't notice that until it was already assigned a VIN (and maybe the reason it was assigned a VIN). Had a VIN for about 6 weeks and production date kept getting moved out by one or two weeks. Last notice was that it was scheduled for a 10/25 build. Just checked today and it is "in production" with a window sticker showing the MPG. Still no production date on my XLT, but it has had an 02 priority code for a few weeks.

This is a REAL window sticker. Check the link with that exact VIN.. shows same numbers.

Window Sticker (forddirect.com) - https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=3FTTW8E35NRA10074

View attachment 13710
People like you that make multiple orders and take the first one to arrive screws with the rest of the orders. The dealer will keep that order you don't take as stock when it could have been a real reservation being filled. Thanks a lot.

bcording

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariat Hybrid

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

yash66113

First Name
Yash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Ordered in August. Originally scheduled for Sep. 20 (this was after an XLT order never got scheduled; still waiting on that). Window sticker with MPG posted today.

More context: I ordered an XLT in June. After waiting a long time, I ordered an XL from a different dealer in August, planning to take whichever comes first. I ordered a bed liner for the XL but somehow it didn't get included on the order, and I didn't notice that until it was already assigned a VIN (and maybe the reason it was assigned a VIN). Had a VIN for about 6 weeks and production date kept getting moved out by one or two weeks. Last notice was that it was scheduled for a 10/25 build. Just checked today and it is "in production" with a window sticker showing the MPG. Still no production date on my XLT, but it has had an 02 priority code for a few weeks.

This is a REAL window sticker. Check the link with that exact VIN.. shows same numbers.

Window Sticker (forddirect.com) - https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=3FTTW8E35NRA10074

View attachment 13710
Ford Maverick 🚨My Hybrid Maverick window sticker with MPG!! 37 combined / 42 city / 33 highway 1634768516866

Not totally sold with this Window Stickers, Since it being XL, some features in functional don't make sense to me such as remote start on XL?

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I remember that episode differently. They were only measuring the effect of having the tailgate down or up. There was no cover involved. They did find having the tailgate up and in its normal position was the most efficient way to travel due to the bubble effect.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1634768516866.png

Not totally sold with this Window Stickers, Since it being XL, some features in functional don't make sense to me such as remote start on XL?
The XL has both remote start (via the FordPass app) and remote keyless entry (fancy key fob).

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wouldn't 42/33 be 38 combined based on the EPA's 60/40 city/hwy calculations?

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember that episode differently. They were only measuring the effect of having the tailgate down or up. There was no cover involved. They did find having the tailgate up and in its normal position was the most efficient way to travel due to the bubble effect.
You could be right. But I also remember them testing with a mesh tailgate and I could have swore a cover as well. Perhaps it was on a revisit?
Sponsored