hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's the size difference between the Maverick and Kia mirrors?

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No noticeable difference. The KIA mirror is a little thinker from front to back but essentially, no didfference.

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Defconxzero

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FLICKERING MIRROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i installed one of these kia auto dim mirrors. i thought all was working fine, until a few days later the scenario came up where when the overhead light is on, either manually activated or by opening a door- when the light is on, the green mirror power light will flicker and compass displays its startup symbols flickering until the light goes off then it turns on constant and functions fine.....

any thoughts anyone? did i wire it wrong or did i get what i paid for in a cheap kia mirror?

deputylynch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150 waiting on 24 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

i installed one of these kia auto dim mirrors. i thought all was working fine, until a few days later the scenario came up where when the overhead light is on, either manually activated or by opening a door- when the light is on, the green mirror power light will flicker and compass displays its startup symbols flickering until the light goes off then it turns on constant and functions fine.....

any thoughts anyone? did i wire it wrong or did i get what i paid for in a cheap kia mirror?
You must have tapped into the wrong wires?
Read the previous post to figure out exactly what you need to tap into since one does not provide the correct voltage.

Defconxzero

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, this is timely!

Over the last couple of weeks I have been having this exact same problem! I installed a basic Gentex autodimming mirror that just had a power and ground wire (i.e., two wires). I sintalled and tested it during the day and there were no problems. When using the autodimming mirror at night, the behaviour was really erratic - sometimes it would work, but sometimes it wouldn't and the status light would just flash. When I installed it, I had wired it to the purple wire to try and save the battery, as this wire turns off immediately when the car turns off. Initially I thought it might be an electrical issue (a bad connection or something).

Today I did some more troubleshooting and came to the same conclusion as above. Using a multimeter I determined that the purple wire goes down to 2.9 volts at night (the car dims the other lights at night?), which is too low to power the mirror. So I rewired it to the yellow wire, and voila!, the darn thing works perfectly now, day or night! The yellow wire turns off after 15 minutes, so it shouldn't kill the battery.

Thanks to all who shared their experiences. That's what makes this forum great!
I think im having the same problem.. so the mirror stays on after you turn off and exit the vehicle for 10 minutes every time? thanks

Sponsored

Mike_Sam

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think im having the same problem.. so the mirror stays on after you turn off and exit the vehicle for 10 minutes every time? thanks
The way mine seems to work now is that it stays on after I turn the vehicle off, but as soon as I exit (open and close driver door), it turns off.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been using a patch cord in the Camera module. No problems for nearly a year now. Skyhawk made the original cord, and I'm going to do the same for my wife's 2024. Here is the connector pinout. Pins 4 and 5 run both a dashcam and the mirror. Parts are about $15 shipped from Mouser.

Ford Maverick Cheap auto-dimming, homelink mirror Camera connector P532

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've been using a patch cord in the Camera module. No problems for nearly a year now. Skyhawk made the original cord, and I'm going to do the same for my wife's 2024. Here is the connector pinout. Pins 4 and 5 run both a dashcam and the mirror. Parts are about $15 shipped from Mouser.
I decided to do the same with the harness that goes to the camera. Just finished making my own harness, going to add the connectors for the Gentex mirror and my dashcam and it will be ready to install. I did test it and it seems to work exactly as it should - on and off with accessory power, it does not stay on for 15 minutes or whatever after shutting down.

Ford Maverick Cheap auto-dimming, homelink mirror PXL_20240409_053318737

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I should also add that @Mabcim gave me the inspiration with his write-up and helped getting mine finished. Credit where credit is due. I would also be happy to help anyone else with theirs if they want to try as well.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sounds like bad power. The mirrors seem to be pretty solid, never heard of issues with one.
(they're not "cheap Kia mirrors"- they're found cheap sometimes, but the company that makes them makes OEM mirrors for lots of companies!)
Sponsored