Soft paint? Rock chips after 400 miles

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Overpriced? At the dealership, probably. Worthless? Not to me. Mine will be getting filmed before I take it home.
Sounds like we agree because I'm a fan of film, well worth the investment in many scenarios. But dealers aren't putting film on your car in those paint protection packages, they're not doing much more than a thousand dollar wax job.
Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I got my car repaired from an accident earlier this year, the body shop told me to hand wash the car for 3 months to let the paint cure fully. I've had repainted furniture take weeks to fully cure and dry. There's dry, and then there's DRY.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
Also, holy swirls Batman!
Ford Maverick Soft paint? Rock chips after 400 miles 80257BCA-C35D-43F0-B949-D776D59BBEE5

touch those pin holes up, get paint correction, then ppf the whole truck. That’s all that can really be done here. Otherwise it’ll be all chipped to hell in a few months at this rate.

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I’ve had stones thrown up on my hood and even chipped windshields. Can happen from tires that barely stick out of the fenders or if the wheels are just slightly turned. The tires don’t have to be sticking very far out to do real damage. I suspect you’ll see some down the sides as well. RIP to your brand new trucklette’s paint though. PPF ASAP is all any lurkers can really do, otherwise this will be a reality for anyone who puts wider, aggressive tires on. Hell, if you’re doing it to make your Maverick look tough, I think some rock chips will just compliment that rugged, tough boy look.
Paint is thinner, as are windshields....anyone who has a jeep, suv, pickup should have mud flaps. The aggressive tread and departure angle spits up gravel to the person behind you...

Not doubting this happens sometimes....but wow, now it’s time to get a bug deflector, mud flaps, and after market fender flares.

Sponsored

Blessedintx

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape

Blessedintx

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Paint is thinner, as are windshields....anyone who has a jeep, suv, pickup should have mud flaps. The aggressive tread and departure angle spits up gravel to the person behind you...

Not doubting this happens sometimes....but wow, now it’s time to get a bug deflector, mud flaps, and after market fender flares.
What is PPF? And is it costly?

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Overpriced? At the dealership, probably. Worthless? Not to me. Mine will be getting filmed before I take it home.

20190723_141006.jpg

20190723_141011.jpg

20190723_141453.jpg

20190723_141450.jpg
What film do you use? That's amazing the actual surface of your car wasn't damaged!

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Suntek Ultra. I do PPF (paint protection film) for a living. I've seen some amazing results where the film saved a customer's paint. The Panamera hit a concrete parking deck wall. Even more amazing is this Land Rover that hit the side of their garage. The damage literally wiped off leaving only a small cut in the film

Ford Maverick Soft paint? Rock chips after 400 miles IMG_62791

Ford Maverick Soft paint? Rock chips after 400 miles IMG_62781

Ford Maverick Soft paint? Rock chips after 400 miles IMG_62801

Sponsored

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Yes they do look like chips from rocks and as others have mentioned those holes go all the way down to the metal.

I have some that look exactly like the photos posted here on my 2015 Honda Fit. But those occurred over seven years and 43,500 not 400 miles.

Fir Hood Paint Chipped.JPG
Yup. Soft paint is usually seen as a smear or push/shift of the paint.

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This news is also all over Bronco Sport forums for this color though, it’s been buyer beware for Cactus and A51 lovers.
I wonder what it is about those two colors to be having such problems? Lousy formula? I know nothing about automotive paint.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Suntek Ultra. I do PPF (paint protection film) for a living. I've seen some amazing results where the film saved a customer's paint. The Panamera hit a concrete parking deck wall. Even more amazing is this Land Rover that hit the side of their garage. The damage literally wiped off leaving only a small cut in the film

IMG_62791.jpg

IMG_62781.jpg

IMG_62801.jpg
That's incredible! I would've thought the damage underneath would have been worse!