First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a cool mod. Thanks for posting. I expect this will be offered by somewhere as a plug-and-play complete kit pretty soon. Something for me to add in the spring.
Thank you. I hope you've been able to read my original post updated. The resistors are not needed so that makes the install much easier. I believe this is something the average DIYer could do . . . no 'kit' needed. You could do this easily.
Sponsored

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On Order: Ford Maverick XLT. Now: Chevy Cavalier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Due to my envy of those vehicles that have turn signal indicators on their mirrors or body side, I took another member's basic idea and went one step further to have the badge act as a turn signal indicator. The first side took a bit of time to figure out what light would work best and how to wire it up correctly and safely. The other side took about an hour or two. Nothing like having "experience" the second time around.

This is how it came out:

What you'll need:
  • plastic pry tools to ease off the badge.
  • LED light. (I liked the round one where the wiring exits out the back of the light)
  • butt splices. Red ones for the small wire gauge.
  • several wire bridge taps. Again, the red ones.
  • two ring terminals large enough to be able to attach to one of the bolts holding the fender together. This is for a ground. I got the ones that included shrink wrap on the wire end, but not necessary.
  • UPDATE: Resistors not needed. 2 resistors. Remember, the Mav uses incandescent bulbs for its on/off turn signal function. If you introduce a lesser load bearing LED, it throws off the truck's computer into thinking a bulb is burned out and you get the hyperflash. The more expensive Laserfit LED's have internal resistors, but we are not using those today.
  • wire cutters, stripper, and crimping tool.
  • 4 strands of automotive wire about 3 - 1/2 feet long. Red and black are always a good choice color wise. The wires on the LED's I chose are yellow & black, so I used those colors.
  • Drill bit or forstner bit large enough to cut out a round circle in the badge. The LED's I used required a 3/4" hole to fit snugly.
  • 2 amber colored covers that fit the badge. These were made specifically for the Maverick and can be found on Etsy, however, this is an option. I chose to use them to cover up the LED lamp and also to disperse the light. Inexpensive . . . $20 for two.
  • shrink wrap if you choose to use it and then you'll need either a heat gun or hair dryer.
  • Automotive electrical tape. If you'll notice looking into any type of automotive wiring, the tape is NOT the shiny kind. The shiny kind tends to melt and get sticky. Opt for the "fabric" type. Easily available on Amazon and looks more like it belongs.
  • Four #4 self-tapping screws to hold the resistors in place. Actually, one screw will hold it just fine. We'll talk about where to place the resistor and it might be tough to get two screws on. Getting one on was tough enough and it held strongly, so I didn't bother with the second one.

It looks fucking sweet. I hope you're pleased with it.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is awesome!

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It does give a different and unique look. Glad you found them in white. Please let us know how they work out for you.
Hopefully they fit in the hole with the grommet. My truck is scheduled to be built in late March…

Ford Maverick đź’ˇ Converting the Maverick side badge to a signal lamp light -- DIY how-to and result video [night video added] 1675738227154

I can always trim the rubber down a little around the light if needed.
Ford Maverick đź’ˇ Converting the Maverick side badge to a signal lamp light -- DIY how-to and result video [night video added] 1675738285555

Reactions: Dad

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hopefully they fit in the hole with the grommet. My truck is scheduled to be built in late March…

1675738227154.jpeg

I can always trim the rubber down a little around the light if needed.
1675738285555.jpeg
Listen, I can do that for you . . . not build your truck, LOL, but I can see if one of those lights will fit in the hole. Hang on . .. I'll check.

UPDATE: That hole in mine is covered up by the rail system, so I wasn't able to determine if it will fit. I do have those holes up toward the cab, but my water dispersing tubes from my tonneau cover are using them. If you don't mind, I'll check that tomorrow when I have some time and daylight, but I think it the lights will fit.

Last edited:

LAClippers420

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is something I’ll probably never do alone because id mess something up, but god damn, y’all never cease to impress me with the bad ass mods. Kudos!

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It looks fucking sweet. I hope you're pleased with it.
Thank you! I appreciate the compliment and your feedback. I am pleased with how it turned out. Some members mentioned some concern with the light being too bright and annoying to a driver next to me, but the cover helps diffuse a not too bright light to begin with. I've posted a video showing how it looks during the day and one at night.

Chagrined to say it came out better than I thought it might.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is something I’ll probably never do alone because id mess something up, but god damn, y’all never cease to impress me with the bad ass mods. Kudos!
Totally understand, but here's the deal . . . as long as you are a member of this club, you are not alone. Any one of us would be more than happy to assist you every step of the way in any we can. Heck, if you're in my area (I didn't check before writing this), bring that buggy over and we'll do it together.

Oh wait. You are 'nearby' in LA. Not that far. I'm happy to help.

InsaiyanAzn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tenzing
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll
And here it is . . .

Awesome, officially my favorite mod and on the list todo!! I forgot did you have a link for the lights u used?

shadow76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How about ordering a replacement insert (the item most likely 'mess something up') give it a try. You'll be glad you did when you're successful.

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How about ordering a replacement insert (the item most likely 'mess something up') give it a try. You'll be glad you did when you're successful.
This was ALWAYS in the back of my mind while doing this, but there's not much to "mess up". There's a good sized cutout in the back of the amber cover, so as long as the hole you drill in the badge lines up with that, you'll be ok. Just don't use a spade style wood bit. That's really the only challenge at this point. That and trimming the wrapping tape around where the wiring feeds into the signal harness without damaging the wire. Those are really the only difficult parts.
Sponsored