Sponsored

3k miles, broke down

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy cruze
I am thinking about dropping the maverick hybrid with 3k miles on it. I absolutely loved mine too, but I absolutely must have a reliable vehicle.

When I was accelerating onto a road, probably at about 60-70% power my maverick's engine stopped working. It flashed "stopped safely now". The problem was, I was in traffic and in the middle lane. I also got stuck at a light. When I came to a stop at the light it shut off completely, I couldn't turn it back on, I couldn't even shift it into drive or neutral to push it. After a few minutes i was able to get it started again, but only in full electric mode so that I could limp to the side of the road.

I have never even accelerated to 100% with this truck, never towed anything, and I normally drive it like a grandma to get the best mpg, so I have really babied it. Very upsetting experience. Makes me worried about future reliability. Looks like this has happened to other people as well, waiting on the dealership to provide me with some details on what is wrong.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don’t know anything about what may be going on with your Maverick, but I am truly sorry to see you having these issues.

Hope it all works out in the end.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve seen this same complaints across a few makes and models. Haven’t seen any fixes. I’m glad the Ford dealer is attempting to fix the issue. If it is Not diagnosable, sell it and move on. Toyota Prius is a slow ugly turd, but reliable. If you have more funding buy a RAV4 Prime.

Last edited:

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First model year of a lot of vehicles that issues for manufacturers to resolve but the hybrid model seems to have more than its share of problems reported on this forum, but I would hope the percentages of them built are trouble free. I’m glad I ordered the echo boost version, it seems to have less issues

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am thinking about dropping the maverick hybrid with 3k miles on it. I absolutely loved mine too, but I absolutely must have a reliable vehicle.

When I was accelerating onto a road, probably at about 60-70% power my maverick's engine stopped working. It flashed "stopped safely now". The problem was, I was in traffic and in the middle lane. I also got stuck at a light. When I came to a stop at the light it shut off completely, I couldn't turn it back on, I couldn't even shift it into drive or neutral to push it. After a few minutes i was able to get it started again, but only in full electric mode so that I could limp to the side of the road.

I have never even accelerated to 100% with this truck, never towed anything, and I normally drive it like a grandma to get the best mpg, so I have really babied it. Very upsetting experience. Makes me worried about future reliability. Looks like this has happened to other people as well, waiting on the dealership to provide me with some details on what is wrong.
I think a few other people on this forum have had the same issues. At this point I would classify the Maverick hybrid in the extremely unreliable category... All these issue have made me nervous about getting mine now..My current vehicle has never let me down and it's a Kia. I need reliability and that's what a new vehicle should be giving you... Keep us posted on the fix.

Last edited:

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
When you rush to market to try and beat the competition bad things will happen. Three years were cut off the development and testing while the Maverick team was surviving on cookies. For the next three years we will be the test mule while Ford tries to get things right.

So much for the $19,900 Truck. Most buyers walked out of the dealer with a 23k to 35k truck and that is still a bargain for any vehicle.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When you rush to market to try and beat the competition bad things will happen. Three years were cut off the development and testing while the Maverick team was surviving on cookies. For the next three years we will be the test mule while Ford tries to get things right.

So much for the $19,900 Truck. Most buyers walked out of the dealer with a 23k to 35k truck and that is still a bargain for any vehicle.
Can you explain where you got this information? Makes no sense, as all new models from any major OEM are typically in the 24-36 month range (independent of recent covid delays...) from concept to production.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I guess you never read about the 100s of THOUSANDS of miles put on test mules before Mavericks were cleared for production? ALL vehicles from ALL manufacturers have some % of problems with EVERY vehicle. This forum and others like it, are tiny samples of a very large universe of produced vehicles and can slant perceptions to look like a much larger problem than what actually exists IRL.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess you never read about the 100s of THOUSANDS of miles put on test mules before Mavericks were cleared for production? ALL vehicles from ALL manufacturers have some % of problems with EVERY vehicle. This forum and others like it, are tiny samples of a very large universe of produced vehicles and can slant perceptions to look like a much larger problem than what actually exists IRL.
The way I see it is if people on this forum are having lots of issues imagine all the ones that don't post on forums that are probably having the same issue.

Sponsored

woowoo2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rav4, 2011 Rav4, 2009 CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think a few other people on this forum have had the same issues. At this point I would classify the Maverick hybrid in the extremely unreliable category...
This is why I have decided NOT to place an order for one this fall.
Maybe next year if Ford can fix the reliability issues.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some stuff I have found so far looking at threads ends up being small mistakes at the factory during early production. It's like building a giant model kit. Sometimes stuff gets assembled incorrectly. By the second year they pretty much get it right. They have only been building the bronco sport "similar vehicle under the skin" since 2021 so yeah theres teething issues.

Another person on either here or fakebook had a hybrid issue that was similar to yours, and it was wires not correctly stacked or tightened properly on a terminal block in the engine compartment. There was a small amount of arcing on the wire terminal block. Dealer ordered a replacement part, and temporarily cleaned up the arcing, correctly stacked the wires and tightened the nut down. Their problem went away.

JazzyJockJeffcoat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry OP. Keep us posted.

These horror stories have me thinking I should flip my Hybrid XLT (likely August delivery) and move on to something reliable. With my work I can't afford my car being FORD - Found on Road Dead. Frustrating because otherwise the Mav checks ALL boxes for me. Hoping Ford can figure this out. Maybe they've sourced substandard parts or inexperienced labor. Idk.
Sponsored